Best way to get a broken bolt out?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM   #1
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to Zatrekaz

Best way to get a broken bolt out?

So, I finished polishing my valve covers the best I could (up to 2000 grit.. decent reflection) and was reinstalling. One of the bolts broke in half with part of it still in the hole where the valve cover bolts to.

What would be the best way to get this bolt out? Also.. the bolts have a metal peice they go through that holds the round black gromet in place... how do I remove the bolt from the extra metal piece?

If you have taken the valve cover off before you should know what I am talking about... if not I will take some pics.

Any help will be +reps since I really need this fixed ASAP.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #2
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

Safi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Safi Send a message via MSN to Safi Send a message via Yahoo to Safi

I know exactly what your talking about....We did it to the 96 taurus we're working on....Still can't get it out, so im not much help

Originally Posted by asiansensation78 View Post
Yeah Safi beat me on OG status lol
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #3
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger

2007 MUSTANG GT

1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold

I have had mine off to paint them. But pics would be great!!

www.1fun4rd.blogspot.com
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Zatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant futureZatrekaz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 1FUN4RD View Post
I have had mine off to paint them. But pics would be great!!
Will get some when I can. My main concern is getting this bolt out of there and the other half out of the adapter...

The bolt fits through a metal piece that helps hold the gasket in place. I need to get it out of that as well as the broken piece out of the engine...

I was told there is some from of tool you can buy that drills into a bolt and can drill it back out?

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:01 AM   #5

2007 MUSTANG GT

1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold1FUN4RD is a splendid one to behold

You drill a hole into the center of the bolt. Then you use an easy out to remove it.

www.1fun4rd.blogspot.com
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:10 AM   #6
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Originally Posted by 1FUN4RD View Post
You drill a hole into the center of the bolt. Then you use an easy out to remove it.
Any tips on using it? The bolt is an 8mm head...

Any chance they sell these at auto stores, or only hardware stores?

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #7

2007 MUSTANG GT

Sears sell them. I got mine from Bobs tools. Don't skimp out on cheap ones.

If part of the bolt is above the surface of the hole. I like to grind the top of the broken bolt flat as it makes it much easier to drill.

After you get the hole started I use oil to help the bit cut. Drill at a slow speed.

After it is drilled then as you are screwing in the easy out I tap on the easy out lightly with a hammer to help it bite into the bolt.

www.1fun4rd.blogspot.com
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM   #8
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Thanks for the help, gonna try and find one tomorrow morning. The bolt is below the surface sadly.

Any good way to make sure you do not drill to far?

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:28 AM   #9

2007 MUSTANG GT

Put tape arround the drill bit to mark how deep you want to go.

www.1fun4rd.blogspot.com
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

stephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura about

If the bolt isn't rusted in there, which it shouldn't be since you just installed it, you may find the bolt turns when you try to drill a hole in it. In that case a reverse direction drill bit may spin it right out.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM   #11
MM's Resident Ricer

2006 Scion tC
13.001@113

GreenFaleen is a jewel in the roughGreenFaleen is a jewel in the roughGreenFaleen is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to GreenFaleen Send a message via MSN to GreenFaleen

grab it!
thats a brand and a good cheaper extraction kit.

Scion Tc Turbo - 9psi 297whp 287wtq 2500lbs :p
MM 4 Banger club: Senior Ricer

NCMM #9

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." -Carroll Shelby
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #12
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

I tried some today and I can not get the drill to make a hole it it... it is a small bit. Using a tool set I got from Advanced to get it out. No where around here close had any of the brands suggested.

So far... I can not get it. If I can not get it by Monday im gonna get the shop to come get the car and see if they can get it *sigh*

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang V6

04mustang232 is just really nice04mustang232 is just really nice04mustang232 is just really nice04mustang232 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to 04mustang232

They sell a kit at walmart that requires you to drill a small hole down the bolt, then screw in a reverse-threaded bolt thus unscrewing the broken one.
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

stephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Zatrekaz View Post
I tried some today and I can not get the drill to make a hole it it... it is a small bit. Using a tool set I got from Advanced to get it out. No where around here close had any of the brands suggested.

So far... I can not get it. If I can not get it by Monday im gonna get the shop to come get the car and see if they can get it *sigh*
I'm not sure why you can't get a hole drilled. Have you tried centerpunching the broken bolt? If so you may need a harder drill bit such as a titanium one.
Another option is to get a tap in the correct thread size and drill out the old bolt with the size drill bit specified for the tap, then run the tap through to clean up the threads.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #15
Regular

2004 Mustang V6
Slow@Slowe

ncsubowen is on a distinguished road

Zak it's called a knockout bit, one end drills out a hole and the other end grabs in the hole - the only thing you should have to do if the one you got didn't work is get a better one. I don't know what the bolt you broke is made of but seeing how you broke it, I'd have to think either a titanium or carbide bit should handle it.

Getting Broken Bolts Out

Last edited by ncsubowen; May 25th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #16
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

I got the hole drilled, but the kit I got to remove it just will not catch... Before I fuck it up even more I am getting the shop to remove it.

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #17
Wax on, Wax off

2003 Mustang V6
16.8@83.3

Car is at the shop...

$50 toe fee
$60/hr shop fee...

Looks like $110 for a fuggin bolt....

I tried getting it out for over an hour, had no luck and I seriously hope I did not mess up the threads on it. If I did I suppose they can cut new threads in it.... right?

2003 Mustang V6 - Sold
2006 Lexus 250 IS
Old May 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #18
Regular

2004 Mustang V6 Vert.
328/419 @ 4000 rpms

plove71387 is on a distinguished road

I seriously hope I did not mess up the threads on it. If I did I suppose they can cut new threads in it.... right?
Yes, they shouldent have a problem making new threads in the head.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

They just need to get the size drill bit for the correct size tap and drill down the center of the hole. That removes all but the threads of the old bolt and the tap will remove the threads. If that fails they can drill it out the next larger size and helicoil it back to standard size.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #20

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephen View Post
If so you may need a harder drill bit such as a titanium one.
Tungsten carbide would be better than titanium and more common. Most drill bits are actually made from tungsten carbide.

I tried getting it out for over an hour, had no luck and I seriously hope I did not mess up the threads on it. If I did I suppose they can cut new threads in it.... right?
If you screwed up the threads they'll just tap new ones. I personally would have drilled out the bolt and tapped new threads.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Best way to get a broken bolt out?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Broken T-5................. MOTOIMPAIRED 5.0 Mustangs 3 October 6th, 2008 02:39 PM
HELP! SOHC 6 bolt crank/ cobra 8 bolt crank interchangability? the1968jeepthing 99 - 04 2 September 29th, 2008 11:39 PM
broken bolt !!!!!!!! armymike63b 4V / SVT 4 March 10th, 2008 11:05 PM
Broken bolt in brake caliper smoke-em 99 - 04 14 July 31st, 2007 05:25 PM
Broken Valve cover bolt kinghack 2005 - 2010 6 February 21st, 2007 05:45 PM