projector headlights vs regular headlights
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Regular

1999 mustang v6

BossOfDaRich is loose again, somebody get the straightjacket

projector headlights vs regular headlights

hey guys i want to purchase a new set of headlights but arent sure to get projectors or regular ones. I do like the style of projectors tho. Whats the difference between projector headlights and regular ones? and which are better with HIDs?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:24 AM   #2

Northwest Auto parts is on a distinguished road

The only comparison that stands out in my mind is that projectors look nicer, but don't put out as much light.

However, if you decide go with regular headlights, we have them in stock on our website. But either way, I wish you luck in finding what works best for you.

1999 Ford Mustang Headlight Driver Left Side

1999 Ford Mustang Headlight Passenger Right Side
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #3
MM Fanatic

6.2L/403hp/6spd/AWD/5400l

99mustang232 is on a distinguished road

I like the regular look with clear corners... but to each their own.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:34 AM   #4

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

Projectors are better for HIDs. Reflector housings are NOT designed for HIDs and result in terrible glare to oncoming drivers.

The type of housing you choose has NOTHING to do with the amount of light output. The amount of light output is determined by the type of bulb you're using. The housing is just to focus the light and make it usable for seeing (focus it into a beam).
Old June 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM   #5
Authorized Vendor

Matt Cramer is on a distinguished road

It isn't just a question of projector vs reflector; you also need to take into account how the entire system was designed. Put a bright HID bulb in a reflector designed for a halogen light, and you'll get a terrible beam pattern. Lots of light, but not necessarily where you want it, and you may lose your high beams (or some of the systems are more like losing your low beams as far as oncoming traffic is concerned). OTOH, there are also a lot of second rate projector lamps out there.

My advice if you want HIDs is to get a set of OEM HID projectors off of something like a late model Acura or other car with easily transplanted HID projectors, and shoehorn them into your stock housing. That way you end up with a system of lights and housing that are designed to work together, meet all legal requirements as long as you align them right, and get you more light with a good beam pattern.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:29 PM   #6

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Cramer View Post
My advice if you want HIDs is to get a set of OEM HID projectors off of something like a late model Acura or other car with easily transplanted HID projectors, and shoehorn them into your stock housing. That way you end up with a system of lights and housing that are designed to work together, meet all legal requirements as long as you align them right, and get you more light with a good beam pattern.
I second this as it's what I did with my headlights (I tinted them dark b/c projectors look like crap, IMO). E55 projectors allow for high and low beams. The only part I disagree with is that they are still illegal. The only time HIDs are legal is if they came from the factory that way. No one really cares, but that's the federal law.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #7
Regular

2002 Mustang

chromestang01 is on a distinguished road

Projectors=Belong on Rice
Smoked Lens on a Mustang=Omg

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-member-10050/

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-car-club.html
Old June 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #8
2k3 Blown Mach 1

03 Mach 1 & 02 GT

2002 BLK GT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 2002 BLK GT

Originally Posted by BossOfDaRich View Post
hey guys i want to purchase a new set of headlights but arent sure to get projectors or regular ones. I do like the style of projectors tho. Whats the difference between projector headlights and regular ones? and which are better with HIDs?
I will go with a set of smoked headlights and you can get them at ebay for $118 free shipping....

2003 Mach 1 Procharged 497rwhp club
MMR 900 shortblock new numbers soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: projector headlights vs regular headlights
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
projector headlight headlights or not? panther19762001 V6 Mustangs 24 January 12th, 2009 11:35 AM
Anyone have projector headlights like this? 86ttops 5.0 Mustangs 9 January 11th, 2008 05:49 PM
Projector Headlights Rhythm Stick V6 Mustangs 24 November 29th, 2007 02:43 PM
Projector Headlights came loose Murderjetz General Tech 0 September 28th, 2007 09:38 PM