2000 cranks but no start
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #1

Bijan77 is on a distinguished road

2000 cranks but no start

Hey guys,

My wife's 2000 V-6 Mustang will not start right away when it is cold. It cranks well so I am confident the start is fine, and it will start after a while. The battery is strong since I am able to crank it a few times now problem.

I am not familiar with mustangs, but I am thinking there is so sort of fuel/air problem. I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks guys!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Regular

1997 Mustang
N/a but prolly slow

97greenstang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 97greenstang

well im not expert .....realy im not....but my idea(s) are....

if it wont crank/turn over/ has a hard time with starting and starting to crank but it starts after a while it can be....

like you said a fule/air problem
fuel not "reaching" the fuel injectors (just might take a second or two)
if its not reaching the fuel injectors check the fuel injectors them selves, fuel lines and fuel pump.
defective or aging or just flat out bad spark plugs.
fuel injector or engine contol system malfunction.
distributor box(as i call it, it can be called manydiff things) may be malfunctioning....at first
or again air is just taking its time reaching the the filter and going threw.
*incorrectly gapped spark plugges*

if the engine rotates but will not start...............
#1 reason ....low cylinder compression (ok mabey not #1 but its up there)
again fualty or clogged fuel injectors/ air filter/fuel pump/fuel lines
*incorrectly gapped spark plugges*
wet/damages ignition coils
damaged or disconnected (even loose) crank shaft position sensor
broken/loose/ or disconnected wires in starting circuit
timing chain/belt failure or wearing affecting the valve timing

again it could be anything and thats all i could think of may be slightly off on some of my thoughts

and again i could of missed somthing but thats a;; i could come up with

let me know how it goes...oh and even if the battery is new or you think its good make sure it holding a charge/ the altinator isnt working, or if the cables hooked up to the batter ( + , -) are hooked on all the way and correctly...

good lucky let me know if u have any more questions....if u want
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #3

Thanks, I will check those.

Do you know if this car has a extra fuel pump for starting?
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

stephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura about

If it starts when it's warm and runs OK after it is warmed up then it's probably nothing major.

Possibly a temperature sensor. There is one for the coolant and one for the intake air temperature.

A partially clogged fuel filter can cause problems like this.

Of course new spark plugs may help, but if it starts when it is warm and runs OK after
it warms up thats probably not the main problem.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Banned

2003 V6 Mustang
14.2 @ 96

ewells2420 is loose again, somebody get the straightjacketewells2420 is loose again, somebody get the straightjacketewells2420 is loose again, somebody get the straightjacket

does the check engine light up? If so go to autozone and have the code pulled and report back. If not no idea.
Old October 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6

Yea the light has been coming on and off. Would the temperature sensors set off the check engine light if faulty?

And the car runs excellent once it is up and running.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #7
Regular

1999 Mustang GT
?

Quick99 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bijan77 View Post
Yea the light has been coming on and off. Would the temperature sensors set off the check engine light if faulty?

And the car runs excellent once it is up and running.
Put a fuel psi gauge on it. Should build up psi when you turn on the key 40 to 45 psi and hold it for a while. Then start it if you can and see if the fuel psi is steady even under a load.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Regular

1997 Mustang
N/a but prolly slow

97greenstang is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 97greenstang

ya i kinda just listed some reasons i didnt real read the question completly so i juat started listing....haha...ah well ya they have a better point

my buddy was restoring an ol 1969 mustang and he had just dropped a brand new engine in it (i think...i think its was a v8 cobra engine, but anyways) he got it hooked up to everything went to start it and it wouldnt turn/attempted to start, and come to think of it after checking the hole engine over again and again. the porblem was simple..... the air filter in combination with a cracked spark plugg caused it not to start.........
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:54 PM   #9

2000 V8 Conv

AZGTConv is on a distinguished road

My 2000 GT has the same problem...actually now it won't start at all. I have changed the fuel filter, and since I am the 3rd owner I can assume it was never changed before, it looked like liquid rust was running through my fuel lines. Can anyone that has changed one on a 2000 GT answer this part: After the connector (to the fuel pump) and the copper tube, there is a rubber hose then another copper tube; I know I pinched, pulled hard, basically kicked that rubber hose part, until I realized I needed a push connect release tool, could I have pinched an unseen copper tube inside the rubber hose?

Like I said, car still won't start...engine cranks and sounds like it just about wants to turn over, but it falls short. Had battery checked, and used a spare fully charged battery; still no start...changed spark plugs, again looks like in 71K miles they hadn't been changed, how it even got a spark before is unbelievable...still engine rotates but won't start. Changed the air filter, even though it was mildly dirty and checked to make sure there was no cracks in the hosing, and that all hoses were connected, etc.

I've tried to hear the whir from the fuel pump to see if that's it, but I hear a few clicks when the ignition is turned to on...don't know if I should be listening under the hood or at the gas tank for the fuel pump pressuring the system.

I don't know enough about the fuel injectors to know if there is something wrong with them either. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

Safi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Safi Send a message via MSN to Safi Send a message via Yahoo to Safi

I had the same problem with my '00....Changed the fuel pump and have not had a single problem since then

Originally Posted by asiansensation78 View Post
Yeah Safi beat me on OG status lol
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #11

2000 V8 Conv

LOL...that's what I was worried about, I have changed one in my jeep Cherokee before and had no problem; but I didn't really want to have to drain the tank and drop it. Actually if you saw the spark plugs, changing the fuel pump will probably be easier than anything else I've done. Thanks for the advise.
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #12

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

Safi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud ofSafi has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Safi Send a message via MSN to Safi Send a message via Yahoo to Safi

Originally Posted by AZGTConv View Post
LOL...that's what I was worried about, I have changed one in my jeep Cherokee before and had no problem; but I didn't really want to have to drain the tank and drop it. Actually if you saw the spark plugs, changing the fuel pump will probably be easier than anything else I've done. Thanks for the advise.
Whats wrong with the spark plugs?

And the fuel pump isn't that hard to change....just siphon out some of the fuel before, drop it, and replace

Old December 4th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #13

2000 V8 Conv

Thumbs down

Nothing now, I did a tune up at the same time to make sure that nothing else was wrong, the spark plugs were basically welded in the engine (I just bought it about 8 months ago and hadn't started doing anything to it); I had to let them soak for 2 hours after finally breaking them loose. Once out they looked like they had never been changed in 9 years, with only 71,000 miles on it I'd have thought someone would have loved the car enough to at least take it in for service once, but I'm finding out that that probably wasn't the case.

No, I know changing the fuel pump isn't hard, but I have to work this weekend and since I just started rebuilding the engine in my other car (of course my GT would die after I got the other engine out) to fix a blown head gasket, I won't have much sunlight to work on the GT until Monday and I was hoping it would be something less time consuming. So I was really just complaining, then and now...lol.

Thanks for putting me back in perspective, and reminding me that I work on my own cars because I don't have any Navy Hornets here at DM to work on.
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #14

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

Nothing now, I did a tune up at the same time to make sure that nothing else was wrong, the spark plugs were basically welded in the engine (I just bought it about 8 months ago and hadn't started doing anything to it); I had to let them soak for 2 hours after finally breaking them loose. Once out they looked like they had never been changed in 9 years, with only 71,000 miles on it I'd have thought someone would have loved the car enough to at least take it in for service once, but I'm finding out that that probably wasn't the case.

No, I know changing the fuel pump isn't hard, but I have to work this weekend and since I just started rebuilding the engine in my other car (of course my GT would die after I got the other engine out) to fix a blown head gasket, I won't have much sunlight to work on the GT until Monday and I was hoping it would be something less time consuming. So I was really just complaining, then and now...lol.

Thanks for putting me back in perspective, and reminding me that I work on my own cars because I don't have any Navy Hornets here at DM to work on.
Ah i see...damn 71k miles without a change is rough

You work on F/A-18's? Thats awesome!

Old December 4th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #15

2000 V8 Conv

Not at the moment...right now I'm on my admin tour, hence ending up at an AFB with a bunch of other Navy/Marines, unfortunately alot of our admin tours are now at Reserve Centers administrating for reservists; but I'll go back to a squadron in 2011. What do you do up there at Luke?
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #16

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

Not at the moment...right now I'm on my admin tour, hence ending up at an AFB with a bunch of other Navy/Marines, unfortunately alot of our admin tours are now at Reserve Centers administrating for reservists; but I'll go back to a squadron in 2011. What do you do up there at Luke?
I'm not at Luke...I copied the sig/avi/info from another member here (BuRnIn_YoUrS)...I live in Tx

Old December 4th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #17

2000 V8 Conv

LOL, incognito huh?
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #18

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

LOL, incognito huh?
Yeah...shhhh...don't tell anyone

Old December 4th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #19
Enthusiast

2002 v6 Mustang

02GreyStallion is on a distinguished road

Hey man im having the same problem with my 02 once it gets cold she just doesnt want to start
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #20

00 v6 & 99 Cobra

Originally Posted by 02GreyStallion View Post
Hey man im having the same problem with my 02 once it gets cold she just doesnt want to start
Like i said above...I was having the EXACT same problem. At first it wouldn't start when the weather was cold...then eventually it got bad enough to where it wouldn't start no matter how hot/cold...It was the fuel pump going bad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 2000 cranks but no start
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LONG cranks...problems. Casper98GT 5.0 Mustangs 3 October 15th, 2007 06:23 PM
Which Battery to get? Is mine beat? Cranks Slow? 1911A1 5.0 Mustangs 9 October 14th, 2007 10:25 PM