Modded Mustang Forums banner

How to change fuel filter?

16K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ShadowTheory 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Mustang v6. How do I change the fuel filter? Thanks!

#2 ·
its n front of the gas tank.

relieve fuel pressure_ take off gas cap to release the pressure

the fuel filter is held on with hairpin clips, spread the legs on the clamps then push in towards the filter do this on both sides

grasp the fuel lines and pull them off. be ready to get coverd n gas.

use a screwdriver to loosen the clamp securing the filter. and remove it

to install_ make sure you have the filter orientated correctly. push on the fuel lines, make sure the hair pin clips lock into place. pull on them gently.tighten the bracket..

turn the ignition to the on postion and give it a min to prime the system before you start the engine.

have fun....

#6 ·
i just take the cap off tank. if you wanna do it the other way you can unplug the fuel pump or remove the fuse or relay for the pump and start the car and run it till it shuts off.

#7 ·
Here's how I've always done mine.
1.) Pop the trunk and pull back the carpet on the driver's side wall of the trunk, there should be a little eletronic device, unplug it. The plug is on the underside of the device, this is the inertia switch.
2.) Try to crank the car over.
3.) Unhook the battery
4.) Pop the filler cap
5.) Pop the hood
6.)Grab a small screwdriver and some paper towels.
7.) Locate the schrader valve behind driver's side of the throttle body on the fuel rail.
8.) Unscrew schrader valve cap and use the screw driver do dress the small metal nipple in the schrader valve. This is the same type of valve on your tire, so you use the same technique to relieve the fuel pressure as you would to let air out of your tire. Only difference it the gas will come out of the schrader valve when you depress it so that's be sure to wrap some paper towels around the screwdriver and valve to soak up the gas.
9.) Screw schrader valve cap back on
10.) go back to trunk only this time remove pull back the carpet on the opposite side (passenger side). Here you should see your fuel filter.
11.) Unscrew the screw clamp if you have one on your fuel filter.
12.) Take your fuel/brake line tool and use it to remove the hoses from either end of the fuel filter. Have paper towels ready and possibly a small container to catch any gas that may remain in the filter.
13.) Install new filter and put the carpeting back
14.) Put filler cap back on
15.) Plug the inertia switch back in
16.) Then hook the battery back up
17.) Turn key to on, wait a few seconds to allow the fuel system to prime itself.
18.) Fire up the car.

#9 · (Edited)
10.) go back to trunk only this time remove pull back the carpet on the opposite side (passenger side). Here you should see your fuel filter.
Aren't our filters underneath the car in front of the fuel tank..?

I swapped mine out about a month ago.

Also if you use the Schrader valve to relieve pressure you shouldn't need to mess with your inertia switch or battery at all.

#8 ·
There's a Schrader valve near the fuel rail on the drivers side that you can use to relieve pressure if you want. Otherwise you can just relieve pressure by disconnecting your fuel filter since you'll be losing some fuel there anyways.

You will need a set of fuel like disconnects to get your filter off. I bought a 4.99$ set at my local auto parts store. They're easy to use if you never have, just pop the metal clips off of each side of your filter, slip the fuel line disconnect over the line and push in until it releases.

#13 ·
It's not the tank pressure that causes the problem...

it's the fuel lines between your fuel pump and your fuel rail. I don't see what removing your gas cap would do at all.

#12 ·
Yeah fuel filter is underneath car in front of gas tank. Hit the inertia switch in the trunk on drivers side as said to relieve pressure. Turn the car on after this, it will die on its own due to no fuel, but you want to empty the lines. Then you use the special tool to remove the lines from each end of the filter. Plug and play new one. Flip the switch back after installing new one.

*Use eye and hand safety you'll be spilling a little bit of fuel.

#16 ·
i've never had a problem with just removing the gas cap, then again i've never replaced one after just driving it so the pressure could have dissipated on its own. but its the way i way taught to do it. hasnt failed me yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.