automatic transmission doesn't up shift 2nd to 3rd
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

pandathaway is on a distinguished road

automatic transmission doesn't up shift 2nd to 3rd

I have had this car now for about 3 or 4 months now. It's a 1999 mustang 3.8L V6 3 speed with OD base model so far as i can tell. I have been having an on going problem with my car not shifting from 2nd to 3rd under load. It started this about 2 months after i got it and i'm at a bit of a loss as to what might be doing this.

List of work I have had done in order:

full change out of front right brake (all of it)
transmission flush and filter change
new plug wires
oil and filter change

i know most of that probably doesn't help at all but you never know. anyway to the problem.
from a stop under normal driving the car shifts first second third then OD with no problems i can hear or feel but from a full stop if you try to accelerate fast it will go first second then stay there till red line and not shift, i have to let off the gas then it will shift right into 3rd with OD or into 3rd if i have OD turned off

if i'm driving and give it gas so it down shifts to accelerate it will do the same thing if the down shift is into 2nd gear the car will just red line with out up shifting if i don't let off the gas at all

the fastest I have ever had the car was up to 180Kph bad b4 this problem started. normal driving is from 110 to 120Kph and this is all highway just get up the speed and cruise

sorry for the long post i'm at a bit of a loss really as to what can be doing this and the shop i normally get the work done at doesn't really have any ideas also as this is not the normal kind of stuff they deal with. thought i would seek help online b4 taking it out of town to a transmission shop and blow a ton of money i don't really have lol.

Thanx for any thoughts or ideas
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2
MM's Resident Ricer

2006 Scion tC
13.001@113

GreenFaleen is a jewel in the roughGreenFaleen is a jewel in the roughGreenFaleen is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to GreenFaleen Send a message via MSN to GreenFaleen

umm my second before my tuner shifted alittle into red line like 5.5k if it is getting to there and not shifting I would say get a shift kit and upgrade your Torque converter.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...s-vt15137.html

Scion Tc Turbo - 9psi 297whp 287wtq 2500lbs :p
MM 4 Banger club: Senior Ricer

NCMM #9

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races." -Carroll Shelby
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Look Ma! My First Post!

mikekvia is on a distinguished road

Having the same problem with my van

Howdy sorry to hear your having problems with your tranny. one of my dads friends owns a mechanics business. So the first thing you need to check is every ground wire that attaches to the frame or body, take them all off clean them with some emery cloth and then put them back. Also check the battery cables if they are corroded clean them and put them back. It is a fairly common reason the transmission doesn't want to shift, the resistance in the corroded connections causes the computer to not send the signal to the solenoids to shift your transmission. Secondly try Seafoam transmission flush and place a fuel filter in the line coming from your transmission cooler. Change the fluid a few times over the next couple of weeks, its easy to do just messy, in a lot of cases the little spools that shift the gears just get stuck, they fit in a very tight hole so if any grit or gunk gets in there they cant move to shift gears. Might as well try that before having work done. Just drive easy so you don't damage the transmission further. We bought our van and within a few days it quit working right and the car dealership screwed us they are making us pay for the repairs. Good luck!
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

This thread is from 2007. The OP has likely resolved the issue by now.

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
Old June 28th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Swelly Life

2004 Mustang v6

RunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud ofRunninOn6 has much to be proud of

6 years!

19 & Chasing Tail At College
Old June 28th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #6
On Probation

Standard

Xzavier247 is just really niceXzavier247 is just really niceXzavier247 is just really niceXzavier247 is just really niceXzavier247 is just really nice

this has to be the best thread resurrection known to man
Old June 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #7
Fee Fie Foe Fum

Stang w Mistaken Identity
Ive never even seen a dragstrip :(

gaetz1985 has a spectacular aura aboutgaetz1985 has a spectacular aura aboutgaetz1985 has a spectacular aura about

^ no question!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/16684-automatic-transmission-doesnt-up-shift-2nd-3rd.html
Posted By For Type Date
automatic transmission doesn't up shift 2nd to 3rd This thread Refback March 3rd, 2011 04:17 AM

Threads Similar to: automatic transmission doesn't up shift 2nd to 3rd
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remove Automatic Shift Knob redponygt 99 - 04 25 March 21st, 2011 10:03 AM
Automatic transmission trouble mayur V6 Mustangs 2 September 16th, 2007 12:50 AM
Shift Kit for all my automatic brothers.... jrfan4life 99 - 04 29 September 2nd, 2007 02:11 PM
Automatic Transmission jblood37 99 - 04 6 March 25th, 2007 08:38 PM
Automatic Shift Points 2002 Mustang GT khartford 99 - 04 9 September 28th, 2006 05:55 PM