Can dirty brake fluid cause the caliper to not release?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #1

70sum is on a distinguished road

Can dirty brake fluid cause the caliper to not release?

I have a problem with the front brakes on my 03 Mustang. 45,000 miles. A little history. The gas mileage had made a drastic drop, so I started looking for reasons for the drop. I found the driver side front wheel hard to turn when the car was jacked up. I found the front caliper frozen and it would not release the pressure on the rotor. I replaced the caliper and brake shoes and hose and all was good for a few months. I have noticed a slight drop in gas mileage so I jacked the car up and found the wheel hard to turn again. I removed the wheel and checked the caliper. It is not frozen this time. All looks good. The rotor turns free with out the caliper on. The only thing I noticed is the brake fluid is not as clean as it is right from the bottle. It has never been replaced. Could dirty brake fluid keep the brake pads from releasing so they do not drag on the rotor?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:57 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2000 gt

mustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to beholdmustanginky is a splendid one to behold

could, but i doubt you'd need to change fluid after 45k miles especially after bleeding the brakes out after the first caliper change. wonder if your master cylinder is messed up or something.

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Enthusiast

1999 Mustang v6

davidstivers09 is on a distinguished road

+1 agreed. Sounds like a master cylinder prob!
Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #4
MM's Database Error

2004 Mustang V6
322.8 rwhp

WLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud ofWLJohnson05 has much to be proud of

a bit of light reading for you
Maintaining Your Brake Fluid - Brakes | Home Improvement - Everything.com

I'm trying to get rid of this stuff, feel free to make me an offer!:
SCT Mass Air Flow Sensor $200
Tial Wastegate Springs $40 (10psi and 3.6psi)
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Regular

2001 3.8 V6

Gandolf is on a distinguished road

If the caliper was stuck chances are it seriously overheated the pads, fluid, old caliper and probably the hose going to it. Usually they have to replace the fried rotor and bearings too along with the hose. Over achievers can even ruin the tire bead and steering joints. If they bleed the breaks at all when the caliper was replaced that should have flushed the fluid somewhat but it is hard to completely flush all the fluid. However, a burned hose still in the car can release burnt material back into the fluid. The big danger there is with a very hard application of the breaks a damaged hose my simply burst and fail and your breaking suddenly goes away when you need it most..

Light discoloration/contamination will not hurt anything. The worry is if it is being caused by something serious. If you bleed the breaks or replace the hose, don't let air get into the ABS unit since air in those needs a $$ dealer tool to get out. Those are the things to think about...

It would have been nice if they tore the stuck caliper open to determine what cased the problem in the first place. That obviously helps to be sure the real problem is indeed fixed.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Can dirty brake fluid cause the caliper to not release?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I got 94 brake caliper brackets but.... 5.0 street stanger 5.0 Mustangs 5 June 27th, 2009 12:56 AM
Brake Caliper Paint? ECUSVT31 4V / SVT 21 July 20th, 2008 11:48 AM
caliper e-brake spirng klindz500 99 - 04 0 March 3rd, 2008 10:36 PM
Brake caliper upgrade starman1950 96 - 98 2 December 29th, 2006 11:18 AM