Modded Mustang Forums banner

Wise to reset fuel pump shut off switch in trunk?

26K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Dirtyd0g 
#1 ·
Just for the hell of it? Any harm done?

#6 ·
There's really no use in doing it. That switch is also called the inertia switch. If you were changing the fuel filter and wanted to run the fuel lines dry before you pull the old filter off, then unplugging the switch would be a good idea. Otherwise you're not doing any harm nor any good. I think that switch is actually meant to be tripped in the event of an accident to keep fuel from being removed from the tank and spilled into the open (unless of course the tank itself is pierced) where it becomes potentially very dangerous.

#11 ·
+1 :D

Though my fuel filter was still full of fuel after I ran the lines dry. I wasn't wearing safety glasses and I really wish someone would have been there to see my ninja roll when I attempted to dodge the falling fuel and keep the fuel filter held up so it didn't dump all of the fuel out :lmao

#12 ·
Relieving fuel pressure is overrated. I parked my car, got some jack stands under it, got my fuel disconnect out and closed my eyes.

#15 ·
That switch gets weaker every time you move it. First you never have a problem with it, then you mess with it. Before you know it someone slams the trunk and your car won't start, then you start hitting bumps on the road and the car dies....
Don't mess with it. That is a seriously rare happening, but I have seen it.
Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.