help with Prestone coolant flush kit
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

chriscw81 is on a distinguished road

help with Prestone coolant flush kit

hey guys, i bought a flush kit made by prestone and i'm having trouble finding where the "tee" should be installed. i have a 1996 3.8L V6. i have a kid on the way and i cant afford to pay someone to flush my coolant for me. here are the instructions for installing it off the prestone website:

Install
Make sure engine is cool, then loosen radiator cap to release any pressure and re-tighten cap. If radiator has no cap, loosen and re-tighten the pressure cap on the expansion tank, if so equipped. If it has a conventional recovery system (a non-pressurized plastic bottle) and no radiator cap accessibility, vent and reseal the system via the cap covering the thermostat.
Two heater hoses extend from the fire wall to the engine, in both front and rear wheel drive vehicles. Hose #1 runs from fire wall to water pump. Hose #2 runs from fire wall to top of engine. This is the heater inlet hose. Ask a qualified mechanic if uncertain.

my mechanical experience is pretty minimal. it would really help if anyone knew where i could find a picture that said where it needed to be installed. basically the "tee" gets installed where you hook up a water hose and flush the sysem and i cant figure out where to put it. any help is greatly appreciated.

chris
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

stephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura about

I've never done it that way. All I ever do is to drain the coolant out of the radiator and refill with a 50:50 antifreeze: water mixture. If the coolant is changed regularly that should be sufficient.

Another option is to drain all the coolant from the radiator and block using the block drain plug on the drivers side of the block. Then refill it with water, warm up the engine and drain it again. Let it cool down and add the correct amount of antifreeze to give a 50:50 mixture and refill with water.

Be sure to bleed the cooling system after filling it.
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #3

chriscw81 is on a distinguished road

thanks stephen, how to i bleed the air out of the system when i'm done?
Old July 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

stephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura aboutstephen has a spectacular aura about

At the front of the engine there is a metal tube coming out of the water pump. It has a threaded plug at the top. After the radiator is full reinstall the radiator cap, then remove that plug and with a funnel pour coolant into it till it overflows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/176152-help-prestone-coolant-flush-kit.html
Posted By For Type Date
NBA Denver Nuggets Jerseys - The Basics Of Cast Iron Radiators This thread Refback November 25th, 2013 07:11 AM
NBA Denver Nuggets The Basics Of Cast Iron Radiators This thread Refback November 25th, 2013 07:09 AM

Threads Similar to: help with Prestone coolant flush kit
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
coolant flush help pber13 99 - 04 8 April 15th, 2012 01:35 AM
Coolant System Flush WhiteLies 94-95 3 June 15th, 2010 07:46 PM
To flush or not to flush, maintenance tips? Molitor 4V / SVT 1 September 7th, 2009 01:39 PM
coolant leaked out of my coolant cap? mustangracer2g 96 - 98 20 March 16th, 2009 01:22 AM
coolant flush question juan310 V6 Mustangs 12 July 20th, 2007 01:51 PM