Supercharged 4 - Cylinder 5, ticking noise: Hlp Plz
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #1

2006 SuperCharged 6

dreslion is on a distinguished road
Red face

Supercharged 4 - Cylinder 5, ticking noise: Hlp Plz

Hi,

The engine was misfiring twice this week and both times the cause was a spark plug on cylinder 5 that kept getting the electrode smashed. The first time I changed it and the engine seemed normal. The second time i changed it the misfire went away, there are no codes so the engine SEEMS normal again, but now there is a ticking sound on that side of the engine (driver side, possibly cylinder 5). The sound reminds me of a bad lifter, but I am wondering if it is a badly bent valve? Could a damaged valve been the cause of the damage to the plugs?

- I was only using the motorcraft plugs recommended for that engine
- Both times the misfire (damage to the plug) happened after a powerful boost (don't know PSI)

I appreciate everyone's help with this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Enthusiast

1999 Mustang V6

ag11hockey is on a distinguished road

i feel like you would hear alot more noise and would notice a huge difference if a valve got smashed so bad that it messed your spark plug up.
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3

2006 SuperCharged 6

@ag11hockey - I hear you, but I can't figure out for the life of me what keeps smashing that plug and it's only on the 5th cylinder. The others are fine.
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #4
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

Details on the car?
Old October 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #5

2006 SuperCharged 6

@ESG-642T - Vortech V3 HO/330 HP/337 lb/ft torque/ S/C on a 4.0L, stock ignition - changed cyl 5's coil pack in the last 3 wks (it was dead), dual exhaust with highflow cats
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #6
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

Originally Posted by dreslion View Post
@ESG-642T - Vortech V3 HO/330 HP/337 lb/ft torque/ S/C on a 4.0L, stock ignition - changed cyl 5's coil pack in the last 3 wks (it was dead), dual exhaust with highflow cats
what plugs?
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #7

2006 SuperCharged 6

Motorcraft AGSF 24N
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #8

2006 SuperCharged 6

gapped at .043
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #9

2006 SuperCharged 6

Any thoughts?

Could it be that something may have gotten sucked into the intake, stuck in that cylinder and is banging into the plug when under pressure.

- Now the ticking could that be a bad spring?

What happens when a centrifugal S/C goes bad? can some internal components dislodge and get sucked into the engine and still have the charger work? maybe piece of one of the gears?

Help Plz!!!!

Thanks
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang V6

9986paulk will become famous soon enough

you would know if the supercharger blew...
ticking...if it just started with the plug getting damaged, could it be a part of the plug? There's definitely something going on and I wouldn't drive that til you check it out. Or if you have to, stay realy light on it.

Damaging spark plugs twice definitely means something up.
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #11

2006 SuperCharged 6

@9986paulk: u r right. part of the ceramic piece from around the electrode was missing from the first plug. BUT that still does not explain why the first plug detonated and collapsed. weird....
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:13 AM   #12
Banned

99 mustang

clidefr0g is loose again, somebody get the straightjacket

is that spark plug the same as all your other ones? if its the same one you bought make sure its the actual same one maybe a handling error has put different plugs into your plugs packaging. Two things could occur from that, the plug physically being hit or maybe its burning too hot/cold.
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

'00 V6 Procharged Mustang

mp4 player has a spectacular aura aboutmp4 player has a spectacular aura about

Usually when you go boosted you want to run colder plugs gapped at .030-.035.

Are these the plugs that are supposed to run in the NA engine?
I'm running NGK-TR55s gapped at .030. Cheap (1.25$ ea) and effective.

SAE Corrected: 289HP/298TQ at 5100RPM(Pegged MAF).
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #14
Enthusiast

1999 Mustang V6

ag11hockey is on a distinguished road

i thought you only wanted to run colder plugs with spray. correct me if im wrong though lol. anyways im getting off topic here.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Your Mom's Favorite

2007 Mustang GT
Eats Chevys, Shits Imports...

Grabber523 has a spectacular aura aboutGrabber523 has a spectacular aura aboutGrabber523 has a spectacular aura about

Boost or spray you need to go down a heat range. Plugs break, it happens...when I was trying to find my plug gap I was shitcanning Autolite plugs every 1,000 miles or so. That gets expensive at $150 a set, but I learned that Autolite (Motorcraft also) plugs are garbage from that experience. Stop driving it, get it borescoped to see if there is still a chunk of something in your cylinder...if it gets in a valve, or stuck between your cylinder wall and ring land, you're fucked.

TEAM RICER GT CREW MEMBER (11 SECOND RIDE WITH A 12 SECOND DRIVER)
MEMBERS AGAINST MEMBERS AGAINST STUFF CREW FOUNDER
TRUNK MONKEY CREW FOUNDER
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #16

2006 SuperCharged 6

Yeah I hear you, but those plugs don't look like they detonated. They look like something hit them. I took it down a heat range from what it was before. The plugs that were pulled out of the engine were at .05 and I took them down to .04. History: at .05 the S/C was fine, but I needed to change the plugs because of MMT fouling. Some a-hole used additives. That was when I regapped the new ones to .04 and ran like that for about a month. Eventually the CATS went from A/F I guess (no gauges yet). I replaced them with highflows, changed all 4 02s and changed the coil pack because cylinder 5 was not firing. 1 week later I blew the first plug - the ceramic around it was broken and the electrodes were touching (no Gap). I replaced it with another plug and that one blew 4 days later when I gunned it off the line (I was gunning it the entire time since the first plug blowout and no problems). When the second plug blew the tip was now past the electrode. Something is definitely hitting it. I am having it scoped right now and hopefully I wont have to do a head job (pause).
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #17
Your Mom's Favorite

2007 Mustang GT
Eats Chevys, Shits Imports...

Grabber523 has a spectacular aura aboutGrabber523 has a spectacular aura aboutGrabber523 has a spectacular aura about

Right, I never said it was detonation. Whatever is hitting your spark plug, like a chunk of ceramic from another plug, could still be in your cylinder...whacking your valves and scoring your cylinder walls, and punching your spark plugs. I read what you said. Did they find anything when it was scoped?

TEAM RICER GT CREW MEMBER (11 SECOND RIDE WITH A 12 SECOND DRIVER)
MEMBERS AGAINST MEMBERS AGAINST STUFF CREW FOUNDER
TRUNK MONKEY CREW FOUNDER
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #18

2006 SuperCharged 6

They said I may need to have the entire head machined.... Whatever is in there is in there good.
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 mustang
7.48x1.56=11.67

JTs03v6 has a spectacular aura aboutJTs03v6 has a spectacular aura aboutJTs03v6 has a spectacular aura about

You can take the serp belt off and listen to the motor. Not gonna hurt a thing as long as you dont let it get hot.

Post pics of the plugs. The first plug the was damaged, did you find all of the peices? I'm gonna bet that you have a peice of that spark plug inside the motor. You def dont want that peice droping in the combustion chamber and eating the #5 piston up, lol. Be a good idea to pull the head before any damage is done.

btw...once you fix this issue you should switch to the ngk-tr6($2.00 plug) and gap it at .030.

Edit...1st of you were running to much gap and were running the wrong heat range plug. Probablly heated it up after numerous runs and it had enough. Do as I suggested above to avoid any damage to other cyl.

Last edited by JTs03v6; October 8th, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #20

2006 SuperCharged 6

The ceramic piece is still in there and it already starte eating up the piston. you can see metal shavings in the oil. The heads have to come off and get machined ($2800!). Not doing that right now, just finished dropping $1500 worth of exhaust work + $300 for ignition work. That will have to wait until the spring. I'm just going to have them flush the engine and we'll see what happens from there. What' the worse that can happen? At $2800 to machine only one side of the engine, might as well drop another motor in and reuse the components from this one for a few hundred more. I will switch out the plugs once I get the car back. Thanks

PS This SUCKS! ESPECIALLY SINCE I'M NOT EVEN GETTING ANY PERFORMANCE MODS OUT OF IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Supercharged 4 - Cylinder 5, ticking noise: Hlp Plz
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V6 to v8 swap computer question plz hlp skulldust04 5.0 Mustangs 8 August 20th, 2010 10:59 AM
ticking noise xn1919 V6 Mustangs 20 July 29th, 2010 09:23 AM
ticking noise... Chris951 5.0 Mustangs 4 February 7th, 2009 02:42 PM
supercharged engine build. Cylinder head recomendations? Ntv69 5.0 Mustangs 7 June 25th, 2008 02:40 PM
ticking noise 1 SNAKE 3 V6 Mustangs 19 February 14th, 2008 07:03 PM