Modded Mustang Forums banner

1997 Mustang V6 3.8 Overheating issues

23K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  izzy1111 
#1 ·
Ok I need some help hopefully this will help. I am new to joining a forum but i have searched on here several times before I joined and found answers. I have a 1997 v6 3.8 mustang, of course a work in progress but I love my car and this is the 3rd one I've owned. Here the deal about a month ago my car overheated and I was in tacobell drive through and I freaked because I smelled antifreeze and saw the smoke from it overflowing, I have replaced my thermostat, fan motor, had a system flush, my antifreeze is actually a little past the full point in the overflow tank, I have bled the coolant system, and my car is still overheating, now the fan just doesn't kick on until it gets extremly hot on the letter L on the temperature gauge. if I run my ac 90% of the time it stays pretty cool. But I want to get this fixed ASAP because I don't have the money right now to replace an engine as much as I would like a 5.0. I have read a couple things online but I can only do as much as I can afford. Anyone have any ideas?

#31 ·
On start up in the morning, Before the engine gets hot, remove the radiator cap while the engine is running. If you can see the water moving slowly in a certain direction, the water is circulating. If you then hold onto the throttle body cable valve end, and open the throttle body valve to rev the engine, you can notice the water level in the radiator going down when the engine is revved. This means it circulating, just how much is the question...

When was the last time you did a good radiator and coolant flush?? Bad coolant over time does accumulate around the waterpumps passage enteries, and even the radiator may be clogged with dirt over the years. Speaking from experience from my stang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.