Modded Mustang Forums banner

Car won't start: Flashing Theft Light

21K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  markmendez6868 
#1 ·
Today I was just changing the battery terminals for a new ones, and when I put the key to the Ignition ON position the car starts to make a sound in the front-right-fender and when I put the key to the START position it won't start.
Also the 'THEFT' light on the dash just keeps blinking (when the key is in the Ignition position) and it won't stop!
The car was running fine today, and now this happens.

#2 ·
unplug the neg bat term for 20 minutes, replug it in, see if it works.

If not, this is the pats system (passive anti theft system), your car thinks your trying to steal it. if thats the case i think you have to take it to ford and hope you have 2 keys :)

#3 ·
yup =) i thought mine did that when i tried to access the computer but the battery was just bad does it click??? i dont see how messing with the battery cables would of set it off because once one is disconnected the PATS has no life?? try to jump it

#5 ·
Hey as far as the theft light flashing when u attempt to start just let the car set for around 2 hours. usually if its just a battery change out the pats system will go into theft mode for that reason. If u let it set for a few hours then try to start it should work ( the anti-theft should reset ). Like said above if once u let it set for a few hours and no luck then yes u need to take it to a ford dealership and have 2 keys and it will have to be re-programmed ( thats if ur transiever for the pats didnt bite the big one ). GL :D

#10 ·
So your saying that after every battery change or terminal removal that the PATS system is triggered and not allow you to take the car for a couple of hours? Thats also assuming that everything was installed and hooked back up correctly? non pun intended OP.

#8 ·
My theft light started flashing and i couldnt start it at a gas station once. Took out the key, hit the lock button on the clicker, hit unlock, put the key in and started it up. I know you figured your problem out but i figure if anyone else has an issue and they search, this could be helpful to know.

#9 ·
Yeah that's right I was online yesterday trying to get anyhelp cuz' I don't wanna pay any mechanic... And somebody mentioned an unplugged wire, that's why I went back to the car and check all the wires around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.