Clutch, Pressure plate, Throw out bearing
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Regular

1996 V6 mustang
F**K BP

Ztaylor92 is on a distinguished road

Clutch, Pressure plate, Throw out bearing

How much should al of this plus install cost me?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #2
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Cost me $290 for labor to get my clutch installed and flywheel resurfaced. The cost of the clutch varies by what kind you get. I had a RAM OEM clutch that I bought for like $180 but the fucker wouldn't fit on my car (even though it was supposed to). Ended up getting an OEM clutch through Ford for $250. Total was $540 plus tax for me.
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #3
MM's Official Lucifer

'00 3.8L & '05 4.6L

goren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to goren813

You're gonna have to just call around to a few local shops to find out what the rates will be. Best way to know.

And as said, its gonna vary depending on what you get. For a stock or near stock car I'd just go with an OEM replacement unless you have plans for the car that require something more.
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #4
V6 BIOTCH

Nawz for you to know ;)

mustangmike! is a jewel in the roughmustangmike! is a jewel in the roughmustangmike! is a jewel in the rough

its so easy to do, DIY

Im getting ready to reseal a T5 and put it back in. But I took apart all that to inspect the clutch and all.
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by goren813 View Post
And as said, its gonna vary depending on what you get. For a stock or near stock car I'd just go with an OEM replacement unless you have plans for the car that require something more.
Just to note, make sure your plans are realistic and that you're actually going to follow through with them. Don't buy a clutch rated for 450hp and 550tq with plans of twin turboing the car if you haven't already started saving and priced out every little part. Most of us have or had huge dreams for our cars but they tend to fall apart over time.
Old November 7th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #6
Just Cheesin'

01 Built V6 (3.9)
13.88 @ 101.15 N/A

Mr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Red Pony Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Red Pony

Whenever mine finally gives I'm doing it myself. I would say ask around how much it would cost, then ask if they will put it on if you bring the parts, and get a ram or spec clutch.

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

SC swap in the works. Slowly but surely.

The Name is Danny. I'm a GM Technician.
Job security.
Old November 8th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #7
Regular

1996 V6 mustang
F**K BP

I would do it myself but my dads uptight about stuff like that,
Which sucks for one its not his car
for two its not his money
For three i wanna learn how to do it on my own
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #8
Not A Regular Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Red Pony View Post
Whenever mine finally gives I'm doing it myself. I would say ask around how much it would cost, then ask if they will put it on if you bring the parts, and get a ram or spec clutch.
Eh, I'm not a fan of RAM anymore. At least not their OEM clutch for our cars. I got one from LMR and the website said it would fit, part numbers matched up, but the bolt holes and alignment pin holes didn't line up. Not like just a little off, it seemed like the clutch wasn't even made for our cars. Sent that fucker back.
Old November 8th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #9
Not A Regular Member

Originally Posted by Ztaylor92 View Post
I would do it myself but my dads uptight about stuff like that,
Which sucks for one its not his car
for two its not his money
For three i wanna learn how to do it on my own
My dad was exactly the same way when I started working on my car. Now he's talking about having me fix part of the a/c on his car If you want your dad to quit being so uptight about this issue, start by doing small things on your car. I started out doing basic maintenance (oil changes, replaced the air filter, seafoamed the car, changed the fuel filter, etc) then he sort of backed off when I started working on the brakes, shocks/struts, and changing up some of the interior.
Old November 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #10
Enthusiast

2002 v6 Mustang

02GreyStallion is on a distinguished road

Autozone has an OEM REplacement for 160

- Mac 2.5" with 3 " duals
- AM Cold Air Intake
- Clear Fog Lights
- Mach I Chin Spoiler
- Mach I Grille Delete
- MSD Plug Wires
- Tokico Blues
- Ford B-springs
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #11
MM's Official Lucifer

'00 3.8L & '05 4.6L

goren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nice

Just depends how much you know mechanically and how long you can go without your car. Clutch install is possibly to DIY but plan plan plan and know exactly what you're doing before you attempt to tackle it.
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Just Cheesin'

01 Built V6 (3.9)
13.88 @ 101.15 N/A

Mr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really nice

Lol. I asked my Dad if he would help me do shocks and struts and all he had to say was. "Sure, I've never done it, and if I fuck up, it's not my car.."

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

Job security.
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #13

1996 Mustang V6

CRA 8 is on a distinguished road

hey heads up spec stage 2 clutch kit was a great purchase on my part awhile back, did it myself and my dad no problems. includes throwout berring, pilot berring, disc, and presure plate. got it from AM for like 300 somethin.
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #14
Regular

1996 V6 mustang
F**K BP

To install what do I have to do?
Drop the trans?
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #15
Just Cheesin'

01 Built V6 (3.9)
13.88 @ 101.15 N/A

No, just slide it back out of the way, but I'm sure dropping it will make it really easy.

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

Job security.
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #16
MM's Official Lucifer

'00 3.8L & '05 4.6L

...yeah, drop the trans. Remove bell housing and old clutch, etc. , be careful to not scratch up crank, get flywheel resurfaced or new, Install new items, drive for break in period, celebrate.

Edit: Don't forget about removing the exhaust and driveshaft before the trans... and then don't forget to refill the trans fluid.
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #17
Just Cheesin'

01 Built V6 (3.9)
13.88 @ 101.15 N/A

Don't forget to eat some bacon.

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

Job security.
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #18
Enthusiast

1995 SVT Cobra

Cobraman1024 is on a distinguished road

Check Ebay. There is a seller called "Autoparts Express" that you can get a factory style clutch kit with parts from the major manufacturers for $104 shipped. They are out of Miami or somewhere close. It comes with a 12mo/12k mile warranty. The throwout bearing on mine went out in less than 1000 miles and they shipped a replacement out to me within a week. It took my buddy and I 12 hours to remove everything and reinstall everything as far as total labor time is concerned. This was because we also replaced the pilot bearing, broke a stud on the passenger side exhaust manifold (heavy rust) and ended up replacing the entire manifold. It was our first time doing a clutch on a v6 Mustang, we've done a couple on the 5.0L Mustangs before. Take the passenger front wheel off completely so that you can access the upper starter bolt.
Also, the flywheel weighs a ton and a half so be cautious about your removal of the flywheel bolts. Forgetting to reinstall that damn block to bellhousing adapter plate added some time to it too. I used antiseize on the manifold studs before it all went back together and it took me 1:15 to remove everything by myself the second time around.

One last note, the throwout bearings on a Mustang are notorious for early and frequent failure (squealing sound). The CenterForce bearing, part number N1714 works for both the v6 and v8 Mustangs up to 2004 model year. cheapest I have seen them is about $40 shipped but you'll never have to replace it as long as the clutch is in the car.

1995 SVT Cobra #182/4005, 275/305, 221k miles, Roush Stage III Induction, export taillights
1996 SVT Mystic Cobra #1666/2000, 308/305, 202k miles, export taillights, MM suspension, bolt ons
1995 Mustang, 3.8L, 243k miles
1993 Mustang LX, 2.3L, T5 swap, 03 Cobra steering and brakes, 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 270k miles
sold: 1987 GT
MM Military Crew Member

MM+Cleavage member #21

Last edited by Cobraman1024; November 12th, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Clutch, Pressure plate, Throw out bearing
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Throw Out Bearing Squealing Oakey 99 - 04 9 June 8th, 2010 10:39 AM
king cobra clutch throw out bearing? Ratkinson_cc 96 - 98 7 May 29th, 2009 02:15 PM
throw out bearing and pressure plate question knightof206 Modular Mustangs 9 May 26th, 2009 11:39 PM
Question about clutch, throw out bearing? Mike Johnson 5.0 Mustangs 0 March 16th, 2008 02:08 PM