RPM Fluctuating between 1000 - 2000 at Idle
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:42 PM   #1

1999 Mustang

Europegirl17 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

RPM Fluctuating between 1000 - 2000 at Idle

Recently my 3.8L V6 mustang has been having problems with the RPMs. While I have my car in park the RPMs will fluctuate between 1,000 to as high as 2,000 RPMs. Lately its been doing this about once or more per minute. The vehicle is already warmed up when doing this and so far I don't have any lights on. Any Suggestions on what it could be?

PLEASE HELP!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:26 AM   #2
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

clean your IAC and MAF, im sure there is a good write up if you google it.
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old November 23rd, 2010, 03:06 AM   #3
Livin' the Good Life

'00 Mustang V6
Slow but looks nice :p

dGrabber is on a distinguished road

Carb cleaner... happened to me before.

Unfortunately for me, cleaning it wasn't enough... replaced it.

Plus you WILL find write-ups by search on Google.

Windstar Intake | 8.8 Rearend | Drilled/Slotted Front Brakes | Rear Sway Bar | Visuals
Slow n Steady Build

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:13 AM   #4
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by southfour View Post
clean your IAC and MAF, im sure there is a good write up if you google it.
This. I'll do a writeup on this sometime this week for the site in my sig (I've got a ton of stuff I need to get written for that). Anyone wanna get me a clear pic of an iac? I'm without my car (on vacation but always checkin in with you guys lol).

Last edited by McQueen; November 23rd, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM   #5

1999 Mustang

Europegirl17 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much!

Thank you! I asked some people at my work (I work at a car dealership) and they said the IAC is most likely and that you can't clean them, just better to replace it. But at least now I know what the problem is.
Old November 24th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang v6

v6kid will become famous soon enoughv6kid will become famous soon enough

They are retarded, you can clean it... I would from now on no longer listen to them.

mods in the garage, slowly getting peppier.
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Europegirl17 View Post
Thank you! I asked some people at my work (I work at a car dealership) and they said the IAC is most likely and that you can't clean them, just better to replace it. But at least now I know what the problem is.
I recommend all of them be fired. IACs can be cleaned. I've cleaned mine and it fixed the same issue you're having. There's no reason to replace a $60 part when you can clean your current one and it should fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: RPM Fluctuating between 1000 - 2000 at Idle
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RPM fluctuating during idle. Arikara 2005 - 2010 7 February 16th, 2008 11:29 AM
Idle RPM 89StAngerLX 5.0 Mustangs 5 October 3rd, 2007 01:18 PM
idle rpm 40thANVGT 99 - 04 13 May 2nd, 2007 01:50 AM
My idle is at 2000 rpm slingblade05 5.0 Mustangs 6 September 13th, 2006 03:04 PM
intense shaking around 900-1000 RPM niggadrew 5.0 Mustangs 4 August 24th, 2006 04:47 PM