Air-Bag Problems 1997
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:31 PM   #1

GarrettMustang is on a distinguished road
Question

Air-Bag Problems 1997

I have a 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8 litter engine with 90,000 miles, Manuel transmission. I have the air-bag light on. I just disconnected the battery for an hour to try and remove the code off the dash. The air-bag light is still on, I went to a ford dealership. They wanted to look at it for $190 for a diagnosis. I don't have that kind of cash just for a look. Where do I go from here to remove that error?

The air-bag are still there and as far as I know they are fine. Oh and had another friend sit in the passenger seat, I saw someone give that advice to get rid of the problem but still nothing. Please HELP!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2

1996 Mustang V6

trashpickinman is on a distinguished road

When you start your car, the airbag light might/should flash. Count the number of flashes, there should be a pause between the sets of flashes. Post the number here, to better figure it out.

Also does your horn work? A somewhat common cause of the airbag light being on, is the clockspring in the steering wheel has gone bad. I replaced mine last year.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3

I dont know if this is going to help but it flashed 15x times then stays on. Does that mean anything.
Yes the horn works fine.
Thanks for the quick response.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #4

I looked into the flashing a little closer and it turned out to be 12 for the code. 1 blip and 2 blips after that. Then repeat a couple of times.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Better than Drugs!

96 Cobra, panty dropper
Slitherin @ the speed of smell

mayosailor27 has a spectacular aura aboutmayosailor27 has a spectacular aura about

hey man hope over to corral.net register and use the search-- theres alot of stuff on how to do airbag shit. ill check my favorites and see if i can find it. uno momento
98 GT-traded
98 GT-parted
94 GT/Cobra-sold
95 Cobra Saleened-sold
97 Cobra-sold
99 GT-sold
97 Cobra-sold
95 Cobra- sold
97 Cobra-parts
96 Cobra-sold
96 Cobra- Project "Dead Pony"

MM Cobra member 969
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Better than Drugs!

96 Cobra, panty dropper

mayosailor27 has a spectacular aura aboutmayosailor27 has a spectacular aura about

nah man didnt have it in my favs but ill look around to find some info on reseting it yourself without the dealers help. There are ways to do it
98 GT-traded
98 GT-parted
94 GT/Cobra-sold
95 Cobra Saleened-sold
97 Cobra-sold
99 GT-sold
97 Cobra-sold
95 Cobra- sold
97 Cobra-parts
96 Cobra-sold

MM Cobra member 969
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM   #7

1996 Mustang V6

Try checking fuse number 4 under your dash, should be a 10 amp fuse. It should only replaced with a 10 amp fuse. If the fuse is blown it could indicate and short in the airbag system. Just to be on the safe side, whenever working on airbags always keep your head and other body parts away from in front of the airbags. With airbags its just better to pull the negative off the battery and wait 10 mintues before working on them. Just in case.

Last edited by trashpickinman; February 2nd, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Better than Drugs!

96 Cobra, panty dropper

just pull the fuse, disconnect the blue box under the dash so it doesnt beep at you when you first start it, then pull the bulb out of the cluster. then you have no light to look at, and when you wreck, no air bags to total you out... easy day
98 GT-traded
98 GT-parted
94 GT/Cobra-sold
95 Cobra Saleened-sold
97 Cobra-sold
99 GT-sold
97 Cobra-sold
95 Cobra- sold
97 Cobra-parts
96 Cobra-sold

MM Cobra member 969
Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM   #9

Okay, I found out there was a 15 amp instead of a 10 amp. Put the right one in there now it is giving me code 32.
Which I think I read something about a clockspring but not sure what do to now. I'll post later if I figure it out. Help please if you know.
Is that the code you were getting Trashpickinman? If so how did you get rid of it?
Old February 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #10

1996 Mustang V6

Yes, I believe I was getting code 32. The clockspring assembly was about $60 online. Fairly simple install, though you need a steering wheel puller. Disconnect battery, wait, remove air bag. Mark position of steering wheel with wheels straight before removing, wiring, column and under dash trim, then the clockspring is removed. Install is reverse. Steering wheel bolt torqued to 23-33 lb-ft.

Though it is somewhat disconcerting that a different rated fuse was in there than what I believe should be in there, according to the manual. Has anybody else owned your car before you, or any other service done for the airbags?
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #11

Trashpickinman yea someone did owned it before me. I called him today with no answer other than he bought it from someone else. Bought the clockspring and waiting for it, so I will update everyone later this week or so. Getting the wheel puller today.
thanks.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #12

I just found out that the clockspring was not connected after all. Not getting error code 32, any longer. Now Getting Error Code 33. Trying to look it up now, this is fun, 1 error code after another.

Last edited by GarrettMustang; February 11th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #13

Does anyone have a mustang "passenger compartment fuse block" diagram for 1997 (or 1995 - 1998)?
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #14

Nevermind on the passenger compartment fuse block diagram I found it, checked every single fuse on the car, they are all the right amp and are not broken.
Anyone know what this means? Code 33 = Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open
What do I do?!? HELP PLZ!
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #15

BUMP anyone know what to do if you get air bag diagnostic code #33? HELP PLEASE
Old February 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #16

1996 Mustang V6

Unfortunately, with code 33, it starts getting trickier and harder to diagnose. With "32" its usually the clockspring, "33" could be the airbag itself, or the wiring. PM me GarrettMustang, if you'd like me to send you the full troubleshooting steps, though I've never attempted them.
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #17
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 Mustang Gt

07gtS197 is on a distinguished road

I own a 98 v6 and have a code 12 ( it blinks 1 then 2 so I assume 12). Im going to check the fuse 2morrow and post what I find
Old March 31st, 2011, 01:17 AM   #18
Regular

2001 Mustang

mycurse01 will become famous soon enoughmycurse01 will become famous soon enough

my 01 has a code 21 - Diagnostic Monitor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly. turns out the module is behind the radio and has two studs and the nuts are missing. anybody know what size the nuts are?

Mods in Garage

My Youtube Channel watch my funny videos, make me daz moneyz

Originally Posted by walt1120 View Post
Listen hoe, the terminator cobra is the most baddest piece of engineering ever to exist. A man becomes baddest the moment he sits in one.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #19
Hardcore Enthusiast

2007 Mustang Gt

07gtS197 is on a distinguished road

mycurse01 I just checked and if ur talking about the green bolts they are 8mm. Also I need help reseting my airbag computer so any info would be appreciated
Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:49 PM   #20
Regular

2001 Mustang

mycurse01 will become famous soon enoughmycurse01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 00MustangGtPremium View Post
mycurse01 I just checked and if ur talking about the green bolts they are 8mm. Also I need help reseting my airbag computer so any info would be appreciated
thanx for the reply. i finally got off my lazy ass and pulled the radio out again. these are what i was talking about.

they are the same as the nuts for the tailights just witout the washers. so i will just match them up to the hardware store.

as for your question, when i was looking up my airbag stuff this site has alot of info. Mustang Air Bag Diagnostic Codes

Mods in Garage

My Youtube Channel watch my funny videos, make me daz moneyz

Originally Posted by walt1120 View Post
Listen hoe, the terminator cobra is the most baddest piece of engineering ever to exist. A man becomes baddest the moment he sits in one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Air-Bag Problems 1997
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997 Mustang Cobra Fuel Problems cobrattt 96 - 98 0 September 3rd, 2010 12:08 PM
1997 gt into 2000 v6 terrell V6 Mustangs 3 September 2nd, 2010 05:17 PM
1997 3.8L Please Help Vorek V6 Mustangs 0 June 11th, 2010 04:03 PM
1997 LX v6 swapped 98 4.6 SOHC Pats problems Casper98GT 96 - 98 5 June 6th, 2010 08:51 PM
1997 Codeman V6 Mustangs 1 February 16th, 2010 05:00 PM