99-04 Fog Light Installation - Page 2
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (5) Thread Tools
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #21
Hardcore Enthusiast

'00 V6 Procharged Mustang

mp4 player has a spectacular aura aboutmp4 player has a spectacular aura about

Your best bet would be to find a wiring harness for it. Universal should work fine.

It'll basically be just hook up the signal wire from the switch, + to battery and a couple grounds.

I ended up using a fog light harness out of a Dodge full size truck on mine just because I had it laying around in my garage.

SAE Corrected: 289HP/298TQ at 5100RPM(Pegged MAF).
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #22
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang

tommy93 has a spectacular aura abouttommy93 has a spectacular aura abouttommy93 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by torchredmustang View Post
Just search for FORD/universal wiring harness on eBay... I got mine for $20(whole kit) but I think local auto parts store (pepboys/autozone...) have the same stuff anyway... Not sure how much they sell them though.... It should have all that you need for the install...

As for HIDs... I have 35w kit... No modification, whatsoever on the wiring... Works fine... Like I said, it's been 2 years... I hope this helped.
alright i search both ebay and some stores

I didn't have any experience back then when I did mine... But then like I said I used an aftermarket harness...
the only experience i have, is helping my buddy wire his angel eyes for his bimmer

Every minute, every penny...

Gets rid of the "every other V6" feeling. Lol
yea, now you have the "every other v8" feeling. ahhahahah

Originally Posted by 01SilverSixer View Post
Where did you guys find the fog light switch? Everything else is really easy to find but the switch. I don't need fogs with bulbs cuz i'd be going hid's so that would be cheap. The wiring is cheap. I just need to find the switch.
the guy who 's selling me the fogs is including the switch

Originally Posted by mp4 player View Post
Your best bet would be to find a wiring harness for it. Universal should work fine.

It'll basically be just hook up the signal wire from the switch, + to battery and a couple grounds.

I ended up using a fog light harness out of a Dodge full size truck on mine just because I had it laying around in my garage.
alright, well i guess i just am going to have to pick up a wiring harness kit

Last edited by tommy93; February 10th, 2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #23
El Torchy

Hellastock

MRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of light

It's not "every other V8" feeling... It's "that badass V6 with fogs lights" feeling. Gets?!
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #24
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang

tommy93 has a spectacular aura abouttommy93 has a spectacular aura abouttommy93 has a spectacular aura about

It's not "every other V8" feeling... It's "that badass V6 with fogs lights" feeling. Gets?!
hahah ai know i know.
hence why im trying to get them installed man!
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #25
El Torchy

Hellastock

MRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of lightMRKsD3 is a glorious beacon of light

So when you get the wiring harness... It helps to lay the whole thing on the ground first and visualize the layout/setup if the wires... It's fairly easy... Black(-), red(+). With my setup, I put it so that the fog lights can be turned on/off only when the park lights are on(not headlights!) so that it'll chime/beep when I forget to turn it off...
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #26
El Torchy

Hellastock

Ok so I found the same, exact wiring harness that I have for my car...

eBay:

Now here is the wiring diagram... Just follow everything here EXCEPT the positive wire (RED WIRE - on the left side nearest to the switch in the diagram)... Connect that ALL THE WAY out to the park light positive wire by the driver's side side marker. By doing so, your fog lights would turn on/off ONLY when you pull the headlight knob once to activate the park lights/side markers... Hope this helped a bit

Sorry for the crappy pics... I did the best I could to pull these pics out from my eBay app through iPhone. Lol

PS if you follow this method, your decreasing the chance of you forgetting to turn the fogs off because it'll chime/beep like when you forget to turn off the rest of your lights... (unless you're low on headlight fluid! )

Last edited by MRKsD3; February 12th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old February 12th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #27
El Torchy

Hellastock

^ these wires that comes with the kit are long enough for the whole install... You just have to make the necessary adjustments (cutting the wires). Then secure all the wires so that they're not hanging or messy...
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #28
El Torchy

Hellastock

Another thing about using this wiring harness: I had to replace the "pigtail" socket thingy... I'm not sure what it's called but it's that thing that actually connects to the light bulb... You have to get the one for 880 bulbs... Or whatever it is for the cobras...
Old February 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #29
Hardcore Enthusiast

Just follow everything here EXCEPT the positive wire (RED WIRE - on the left side nearest to the switch in the diagram)... Connect that ALL THE WAY out to the park light positive wire by the driver's side side marker. By doing so, your fog lights would turn on/off ONLY when you pull the headlight knob once to activate the park lights/side markers... Hope this helped a bit
You shouldn't need to do that at all. The fog light switch won't output power unless your parking lights are on. If you hook this up to just the output of the switch it works the same way.

Also if you're buying a kit you might as well just get one with the correct light connectors on it instead of buying the wrong kit, pigtails and splicing them in.

Old February 12th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #30
El Torchy

Hellastock

You shouldn't need to do that at all. The fog light switch won't output power unless your parking lights are on. If you hook this up to just the output of the switch it works the same way.

Also if you're buying a kit you might as well just get one with the correct light connectors on it instead of buying the wrong kit, pigtails and splicing them in.
Well I thought a $17 wiring harness works just as fine as the OEM wiring harness which is probably 2-3x more expensive... It woks fine for me...
Old February 12th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #31
Hardcore Enthusiast

Well I thought a $17 wiring harness works just as fine as the OEM wiring harness which is probably 2-3x more expensive... It woks fine for me...
Yes, but the 880 connector is very universal. It's used in like a third of vehicles with fog lights and there are tons of universal harnesses with the correct plugs on them.

You don't have to buy a OEM harness to buy a correct one.

Old February 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #32
El Torchy

Hellastock

Unfortunately, the one the I got came with H1 connectors. I got it online so instead of me going through the trouble of having to send it back, I just went and got the right connectors... Cutting and splicing is not a very complicated task for me so there was no
Problem at all.

Anyway, my foglights are up and running so there really isn't a point in me beating myself because I got a harness with the wrong connectors.
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #33
Regular

2000 Mustang V6

patsfan1000000 is on a distinguished road

I never used a wiring harness or anything. its really easy if you know about electricals in cars. i installed them on my 6er. the bulbs have a power prong and a ground prong. i put a fuse box in my car but you dont have to. although it will really make it easier to do future electrical mods. but you can just run a wire fom the battery to an inline fuse, to a switch to the lights. then ground em then your good.
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #34
Atleast it looks nice

2001 V6
12.81@109

SlowSix is a name known to allSlowSix is a name known to allSlowSix is a name known to allSlowSix is a name known to allSlowSix is a name known to allSlowSix is a name known to all

So wait, If I buy a harness what connecter do I need? Whats the bulb type in our fogs?

Turbo Build Thread
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #35
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang

Another thing about using this wiring harness: I had to replace the "pigtail" socket thingy... I'm not sure what it's called but it's that thing that actually connects to the light bulb... You have to get the one for 880 bulbs... Or whatever it is for the cobras...
where'd you pick up the pigtails from... cause ill definitely need those too

yea ill be hooking these up so i can turn them on whenever.... i need to know exactly how to do that though...

Originally Posted by patsfan1000000 View Post
I never used a wiring harness or anything. its really easy if you know about electricals in cars. i installed them on my 6er. the bulbs have a power prong and a ground prong. i put a fuse box in my car but you dont have to. although it will really make it easier to do future electrical mods. but you can just run a wire fom the battery to an inline fuse, to a switch to the lights. then ground em then your good.
hmm. im not the most electrical savvy guy, so this seems a little confusing to me
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #36
El Torchy

Hellastock

The bulb type for te GT fogs is 880; not sure what type the cobras uses. I got the pigtails from a local small-time auto parts store...
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #37
Regular

2000 Mustang V6

patsfan1000000 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tommy93 View Post
hmm. im not the most electrical savvy guy, so this seems a little confusing to me
ya its simple if youve seen it done or done it with someone. it took me one electrical mod and i knew how to do just about anything electrical. my favorite one is a tail light killswitch hidden inside my shift boot. not that i have the balls to use it... i just thought it would be fun to do. sorry for a kind of crude explanation.
Old February 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM   #38
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang

The bulb type for te GT fogs is 880; not sure what type the cobras uses. I got the pigtails from a local small-time auto parts store...
so local stores will actually sell pigtails to fit the stock fog lights?
nice, i was thinking id either have to get them for a dealership, or pull them from a junkyard

Originally Posted by patsfan1000000 View Post
ya its simple if youve seen it done or done it with someone. it took me one electrical mod and i knew how to do just about anything electrical. my favorite one is a tail light killswitch hidden inside my shift boot. not that i have the balls to use it... i just thought it would be fun to do. sorry for a kind of crude explanation.
yea, i dont think electrical stuff is too bad, its just reading and trying to interpret what is actually meant.

Why would you have a tail light kill switch? lol
sounds badass but really really dangerous
Old February 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #39
Hardcore Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tommy93 View Post
so local stores will actually sell pigtails to fit the stock fog lights?
nice, i was thinking id either have to get them for a dealership, or pull them from a junkyard
Yes they do. They're fairly common and used on hundreds of different models of vehicles.

Old February 15th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #40
Hardcore Enthusiast

2001 Mustang

Ok guys.
So i think i have a general idea of what i need to do.
i need to pick up some screws and nuts to mount the brackets. (what size and exact pieces do i need to pick up?)

Then, let me get this straight, when people are saying to go to a local auto store and pick up a "universal fog light kit", are they referring to picking up an entire fog light kit, with the fogs included, and then just use the wiring from the kit, and ditch the rest of the kit? (because i have the OEM Fogs and Switch)

So all id be using from the kit would be the wiring harness... but would one of these kits come with the necessary pigtails to hook up to the OEM fogs?
or will i have to find those separately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/203588-99-04-fog-light-installation.html
Posted By For Type Date
Fog lights for 1999-2004 mustang v6? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback April 3rd, 2013 03:07 PM
Fog lights for 1999-2004 mustang v6? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback March 17th, 2013 07:47 PM
Fog lights for 1999-2004 mustang v6? - Yahoo! Answers This thread Refback March 16th, 2013 10:20 AM
Driving lights This thread Refback October 23rd, 2011 02:09 PM
Ford Universal Wiring This thread Refback March 5th, 2011 11:05 AM

Threads Similar to: 99-04 Fog Light Installation
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID fog light installation Q's. freefallin2000 99 - 04 12 October 30th, 2010 01:40 PM
99-04 Saleen Third Brake Light Installation phoenixmustang 99 - 04 9 October 28th, 2010 09:27 PM
fog light installation jw95mustang V6 Mustangs 3 June 8th, 2010 09:01 PM
Check engine light after CAI installation Scumlabs V6 Mustangs 25 September 22nd, 2009 02:14 PM