Modded Mustang Forums banner

HAMMER KNOCK!

869 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  PONYMAN 
#1 ·
I have a disturbing sound coming from my car. When Im driving in 3rd, if I let off the gas and coast, sometimes when it downshifts into second, it makes a "bang" sound. Like one kind of loud thump. Like a hammer tapping on a metal pipe is the best way to describe it.

It seems to be shifting fine and theres no other simptoms. Doesnt happen everytime either. It does happen more often when the AC is on.

Just like a bang when it catches 2nd gear.

Could this be a sign of doom for this car? It sounds like its coming from the back.

Any ideas on anything to check or watch out for???? :wtf
:usa

#5 ·
jug- thats great news! Not your clunk but the fact that this confirms that maybe I can handle this.

Is it something I need to replace asap? Or can I leave it alone for awhile? Should I just take it easy on the thing until I can fix it?

How much would a mechanic charge?

****! Sorry Im full of alot of questions... sorry.

#6 ·
ja002gl said:
jug- thats great news! Not your clunk but the fact that this confirms that maybe I can handle this.

Is it something I need to replace asap? Or can I leave it alone for awhile? Should I just take it easy on the thing until I can fix it?

How much would a mechanic charge?

****! Sorry Im full of alot of questions... sorry.
it wont take but mabe 30 min to replace them...but it might be your transmission...im just throwing it out there

#8 ·
im not sure on the transmission....im just taking a gander but...but more than likely its the u joints...they wont take but 15 min each to change out...all you got to do is take out 2 bolts pop the drive shaft out take the u joint out and put a new one in...and do the same for the back

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.