Understanding a 4.2 stroker
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:19 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

maneatinggoldfsh is on a distinguished road

Understanding a 4.2 stroker

VV--- Ignore that, I was tired and misread some information ---VV

OK, let me start out by saying, I'm in no way a mechanic, but I have a pretty good understanding of mechanical science. I'm having a little trouble understanding the main differences between grabbing a lower end out of an f150 and buying a stroker kit from ssms or something of the like.

From what I've seen, the v6 in the mustang and v6 f150 are the same motor (essex v6), both have the same bore, so, it would seem, you just take the crank, rods and pistons out of the f150 (or alternatively, take the block, since it is the same) and slap your top end on, and you have a 4.2. The thing is, the 03-04 mustangs make 190hp, and the f150 4.2 makes 203 or something like that, so that's a 13hp gain.

Now, ssms claims that their stroker kit will increase up to 90hp, and all they include is the crank, rod, and pistons as well. They also advertise their kit as a 4.3 "long rod" kit.

Now, I'm assuming since the cylinder is the same size regardless, the pistons are shorter for the extra .1l of displacement, but where does the extra 77hp over the f150 come in? surely not from the extra tenth of a liter of displacement.

I'm assuming the longer rods, which would put the displacement range farther up in the cylinder, makes more compression, which leads to more hp since the amount of space displaced is at a larger percentage to the total space of the cylinder over stock?

In short, I'm curious why it seems the 4.2 f150 lower end only makes 203hp, but smss stroker kit can make 280. As I said, I'm not a mechanic, so I'm really just trying to learn this stuff and rationalize concepts with my pretty basic mechanical knowledge (not to mention it is 2:30am), so I could be waaaay off track. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by maneatinggoldfsh; February 28th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #2
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

the ssm stroker motor longblock has ported big valve heads, fully ported intakes and a perfomance camshaft, thus making a lot more power than a stock top end 4.2
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #3

Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
the ssm stroker motor longblock has ported big valve heads, fully ported intakes and a perfomance camshaft, thus making a lot more power than a stock top end 4.2
I was asking strictly about their stroker kit as stated. The sell a crank, rod and piston kit. Thanks though
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #4
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Goose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant futureGoose! has a brilliant future

where does it say the stroker kit makes 280?

this is all i see

Long Rod 4.3 Stroker Kit Rotating Assembly
Long Rod 4.3 Stroker: New 4.2 crank, SCAT forged stroker Hbeam
rods, ARP rod bolts, Wiseco forged pistons, rings, pins,
and lox: $1800. Our long-rod approach is superior, clearancing
of the crank or the block is not required& the longer rod improves
internal engine geometry for improved performance.
Options: King/ACL main/rod bearings: $150, iron flywheel/
flexplate & balancer: $350, balancing: $250, SFI billet aluminum
flywheel: $425, SFI billet harmonic balancer (neutral only),
$425, windage tray/girdle/main stud/oil pickup/dipstick/oil pan
kit: $425
Race-prepped crankshaft (shown): Magnafluxed, deburred of
rough edges & casting flash, counterweights contoured & radiused
to reduce power-robbing windage, completely polished &
professionally shot peened for improved strength & durability:
$900 Best crank for BIG power & higher RPMs !

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...dInternals.pdf
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #5
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

it says their longblock can make 280+

Mustang, Supercoupe, T-Bird, Cougar, F-150
“Long Rod” 4.3 stroker crate engines are the simple bolt-in solution to your performance
and reliability needs without V8 engine swap expense and hassles. These are complete
engines, not just a long block. Dyno-proven to over 600 horsepower with power adder,
these engines can be tuned to produce 280-375 horsepower naturally aspirated. “Long
Rod” engines feature 8.7-11:1 compression ratio, seasoned 99-04 3.8 block, new 4.2
crankshaft, SCAT forged H-beam rods, ARP rod bolts, Wiseco forged pistons, Stage 3
PowerPak, SSM billet cam, stud mount 1.7 roller rockers, hardened pushrods, girdle, oil
pan, pickup, dipstick, balancer, and flywheel/flexplate. Internally balanced, machined,
torque plate honed, aligned, decked, glyptal sealed, painted and assembled. Delivered
complete, just transfer timing cover, water and oil pumps, accessories, sensors, injectors,
motor mounts, etc. We offer a complete but less expensive 4.2 stroker engine with forged
pistons and stock rods for naturally aspirated applications.
Long Rod 4.3 Stroker: $8000, $450 core
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:41 AM   #6

If I'm not mistaken, the 1800 dollar kit is just the crank, pistons, rods and not a full engine. The crate i believe your talking about is 8000.
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM   #7
╚⊙ ⊙╝

2000 V6 - 1995 GT
2000 Silverado 1500

Originally Posted by maneatinggoldfsh View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the 1800 dollar kit is just the crank, pistons, rods and not a full engine. The crate i believe your talking about is 8000.
that is correct but i dont see where it says that only crank, rods and pistons will make 280
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
Old February 28th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #8

Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
that is correct but i dont see where it says that only crank, rods and pistons will make 280
Wow, I feel like an idiot. I'm tired and confused what I had read earlier on their power pack setups. Those make up to 90 extra hp. Sorry for the confusion, no wonder it seemed impossible for the lower en upgrades to make that much. x_x

I guess my new question is this, what is the advantage if any of te ssms stroker vs 4.2 bottom end?

Thanks again for the help
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #9

2000 Ford Mustang
Fresh 3.8 stroked to 4.3 will find out soon!!!

Stanger00 is an unknown quantity at this point

you really cant say that the crank, rods, piston, will give you 280+ because if you give it 8:1 comp ratio your killing power instead of making it. There is a lot more than just a rotating assemly is going to give you 280+. Capable yeah with supporting mods and right specs. I have a lot of supporting mods and built my engine for a twin turbo setup. Roughly with mine im around 300-325 n/a at the wheels.
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #10

2000 Ford Mustang

ssm stroker has H-beam rods, and forged pistons. 4.2 crank
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #11

Originally Posted by Stanger00 View Post
ssm stroker has H-beam rods, and forged pistons. 4.2 crank
I was speaking in terms of dimensions. I know that the ssms set is comprised of sturdier parts, but I was just curious if anyone knew of dimension differences. What makes the ssm kit 4.3 and the f150 4.2? Why is it "long rod"?

Am I correct to assume that the pistons are shorter to get the extra .1l? And are the rods "long rod" because they're longer than stock, longer than the typical 4.2 or what? Sorry if I'm asking the type of questions most people say "It just is what it is" to, but I like to understand these kind of concepts before I continue with a project.

If anyone is curious, my current goal with this car is to pick up one of the many 4.2 motors laying around in my area, tear it down to block and heads, then more or less throw my top end on. I plan to port the heads while they're off, and I'm also looking at picking up a cam from ssms. Fully rebuilt engine will be had for approx 1000-1100 plus a couple days work.

Everything I've looked at between the 4.2 and 3.8 seems the same as far as systems, so it should just drop in and be good to go if I'm correct. No need for new fuel system or anything like that.

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #12
M112'd Sixxer

1999 Mustang V6

Fink will become famous soon enoughFink will become famous soon enough

A 4.3 is bored out. The rods from the 4.2 and 3.8 are the same. The wrist pin is set deeper ibto the piston to accomodate for the extra stroke length on the 4.2. you can use 351w rods as well if i remember correctly.

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

Garage:
1999 Mustang V6 M112 4R70W (Elise) Sponsored by Ortiz Performance
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo C510 (Rosso Rocket)
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #13

Originally Posted by Fink View Post
A 4.3 is bored out. The rods from the 4.2 and 3.8 are the same. The wrist pin is set deeper ibto the piston to accomodate for the extra stroke length on the 4.2. you can use 351w rods as well if i remember correctly.

Sent from my droid using my fingers.
I'm not sure how the ssms 4.3 is bored. They sell the crank/pistons/rod as a drop in kit.

Also, just curious why you mentioned the 351w rods. Im assuming because they're stronger (seeing as they came out of much larger engine). but with the stock 351 rods being ibeam too, is the strength worth hunting them down (actually there's a set of rods on ebay for 20 dollars that the guy says are good. Just need cleaned and inspected)?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions guys, I try to make sure I search as much as possible before asking anything. I just want to get this stuff down before I tear my engine apart. I wish they had a site with specifics like rod length, piston depth, ect for all these ford engines. If they do, I have yet to find it. x_x
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #14
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

you really cant say that the crank, rods, piston, will give you 280+ because if you give it 8:1 comp ratio your killing power instead of making it. There is a lot more than just a rotating assemly is going to give you 280+. Capable yeah with supporting mods and right specs. I have a lot of supporting mods and built my engine for a twin turbo setup. Roughly with mine im around 300-325 n/a at the wheels.
What did you swap a 4valve?
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Just Cheesin'

01 Built V6 (3.9)
13.88 @ 101.15 N/A

Mr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Red Pony Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Red Pony

There 10 sec drag racer makes 278..

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

SC swap in the works. Slowly but surely.

The Name is Danny. I'm a GM Technician.
Job security.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #16

2000 Ford Mustang

Originally Posted by ESG-642T View Post
What did you swap a 4valve?
Actually thats what my inital plan was to do. I ended up doing the stroker kit, because of too many moving parts and a lot of costs for the 4 valve I had bumped the compression up and went with a comp cam custom grind cam that was made to compliment the stage 3 heads with roller rockers and p&p lower intake. This will make staggering hp numbers with more additions in the future. I also made a custom stainless upper intake to use the GT factory 70mm throttle body and plenum witch will soon be upgraded. I will get some pics up of the intake if anyone is interested. And yes it is a 351 rod but im not going into details because that will just take money away from tom at ssm. Also I would like to note he advised me that with the proper equipment from him. He claims the engine will hold a 300 shot of n2o.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

Actually thats what my inital plan was to do. I ended up doing the stroker kit, because of too many moving parts and a lot of costs for the 4 valve I had bumped the compression up and went with a comp cam custom grind cam that was made to compliment the stage 3 heads with roller rockers and p&p lower intake. This will make staggering hp numbers with more additions in the future. I also made a custom stainless upper intake to use the GT factory 70mm throttle body and plenum witch will soon be upgraded. I will get some pics up of the intake if anyone is interested. And yes it is a 351 rod but im not going into details because that will just take money away from tom at ssm. Also I would like to note he advised me that with the proper equipment from him. He claims the engine will hold a 300 shot of n2o.
You should also post this 300+ dyno sheet to go with the upper intake.
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #18
Just Cheesin'

01 Built V6 (3.9)
13.88 @ 101.15 N/A

Mr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really niceMr. Red Pony is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Red Pony Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Red Pony

Stock TB is 65mm on a GT...

Half that. I talked to him too. With the right head studs (which are on back order and he has no idea when the will be back in stock) your can spray up to 150. I have undercut head studs because that is all I could find, and they will hold about a 90 shot.

I talked to tom about a bunch of details and I actually bought things from him.

271rwhp N/A V6
R.I.P.

SC swap in the works. Slowly but surely.

The Name is Danny. I'm a GM Technician.
Job security.
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM   #19
V6 BIOTCH

Nawz for you to know ;)

mustangmike! is a jewel in the roughmustangmike! is a jewel in the roughmustangmike! is a jewel in the rough

should I read any of this ?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #20

2000 Ford Mustang

Originally Posted by Mr. Red Pony View Post
Stock TB is 65mm on a GT...

Half that. I talked to him too. With the right head studs (which are on back order and he has no idea when the will be back in stock) your can spray up to 150. I have undercut head studs because that is all I could find, and they will hold about a 90 shot.

I talked to tom about a bunch of details and I actually bought things from him.
Stock TB the one I actually put my hands on and have on my car is 70mm. I personally had called and emailed etc. You are probably thinking just the rotating assembly can handle 150 shot. I have the main girdle and everything which he told me. he personally puts a 300 shot no problem. Also he said not to rev the engine beyone 6500 to be on the safe side because it is a cast crank and anything past that will go boom. DON'T WORRY I ACTUALLY PURCHASED STUFF FROM HIM PERSONALY AS WELL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/252081-understanding-4-2-stroker.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Understanding a 4.2 stroker | Forums at Modded Mustangs | Page 2 | BoardReader This thread Refback April 14th, 2012 01:34 AM

Threads Similar to: Understanding a 4.2 stroker
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Understanding more about our engines...... steviedon 2011+ V6 1 October 4th, 2011 10:33 PM
UNderstanding Data log Zon3ic 99 - 04 5 June 12th, 2011 10:01 AM
Im really not understanding this..wtf Nicos2001GT 99 - 04 36 October 1st, 2010 10:08 PM
Understanding the V6 hate... Spurred Snake The Clubhouse 208 June 23rd, 2010 08:44 PM
understanding credit 101 G.T. Rags The Clubhouse 18 June 23rd, 2010 12:16 PM