E85 conversion serious question and don't want bogus answers!!!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:31 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
MM Fanatic

Codeman will become famous soon enoughCodeman will become famous soon enough

E85 conversion serious question and don't want bogus answers!!!

Ok well I am currently running a 02 mustang with a 5 speed. I have a comp cam, ported lower, windstar upper, lts, and full bolt ons. I am going to be getting another vehicle for my DD here in about a half a year. I am wanting to build up my stang with a better motor. I already have heads I am in the process of porting. Here is what I am thinking.

Ok I want to run right around 13:1 compression ratio. I am not sure if I want to run a 4.2 or a 3.8 bored both with forged internals. I don't know if a 4.2 crank would handle 13:1 compression ratio or not?

Next I would like to upgrade the cam to a bigger cam.

I know I would have to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors since the e85 needs 20-30% more fuel. I am actually thinking with the increase in CR that I will not loose too much fuel mileage roughly 10%. I am not too concerned though.

Basically besides the fuel pump and injectors do I have to change any lines or anything to make the switch to E85? Also would I be able to tune the car to run on 91 octane with tons of timing pulled for an extreme case where I cant get E85 this tune could be capped at like 3k RPMS. Not sure would have to discuss with the tuner for this.

I am wondering what kind of power potential there would be for this motor? I am thinking this could be the highest NA HP 3.8 mustang motor. E85 has a lot of potential due to lower combustion temps, cleaner burning, plus 100 plus octane and it is cheap.

In summary do you think that I would need a super coupe crank for 13:1 CR or could I use a 4.2. Would I gain anything from the longer stroke? I am hoping to make the most extreme v6 yet.

UDP, CAI, True Duals, LTs, 91 Tune from TT, 3.73 gears, Tlok,Windstar upper, GT TB, Ported lower, Comp 218/226 cam, FRPP C Springs, J&M LCA, Tokico Blue shocks and struts, and J&M Full Length Subframe Connectors
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

1999 Mustang V6
Slow @ Even slower

pelle15 is a jewel in the roughpelle15 is a jewel in the roughpelle15 is a jewel in the rough

Might have to get a special Fuel pump and lines/rails. any gaskets that touch fuel will have to be replaced with special one. E85 will eat regular gaskets and certain metals. We have been doing testing with Ethonal here on campus and once we started getting up to E50 they noticed that the gaskets and metals in the fuel pumps were deterating. Just somethings to think about. We also did not test ford fuel pumps FYI
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #3
MM Fanatic

Ok that is what I was wondering. I thought you needed different lines and stuff. Thanks. I will have to do some research on it and see if anyone has.

UDP, CAI, True Duals, LTs, 91 Tune from TT, 3.73 gears, Tlok,Windstar upper, GT TB, Ported lower, Comp 218/226 cam, FRPP C Springs, J&M LCA, Tokico Blue shocks and struts, and J&M Full Length Subframe Connectors
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #4
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

The 4.2L crank will not have an issue with 13:1 CR. You'll pick up a little torque with the 4.2L crank, but you'll also loose some rpm capability. How high were you planning on spinning it?

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2011 GT Base Auto
12.76@113

xtreme 2 will become famous soon enough

like Tang Stang said, the crank will be fine, but will need to be balanced for high rpm loads.

For the E85, you need the new pumps (Ford GT pumps work great for this), new injectors (most people run 60-80#), and lines that are designed for E85.

It's easily possible to run E85 and 91 tunes together. It's always good to have a backup for if you ever go anywhere and can't get E85 you can swap back. Generally they just pull the timing back and adjust A/F but you can still run it balls out. Just expect a nearly 60 hp drop.

How much hp are you looking to get out of this? I generally don't see people runing E85 until they start grazing the 600 hp mark. Below that I'd rather just run high boost with 91 and go with it.

2011 GT 5.0L Auto
GT500 Axleback | Lethal 3" O/R H-Pipe | JLT Intake | Ortiz Performance 91 Tune | Koni Str.T shocks/struts | STEEDA Ultralight springs | UPR LCAs w/ relo brackets | PHB
12.76 at 113mph, 2.07 60' on stock tires
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6
MM Fanatic

I am not sure. I am hoping for 300 rwhp NA on a v6. Supposidly every 1 point CR raised is roughly a 4% power increase. The only reason I am switching to E85 is so that I can run such a hi compression ratio and have that power without having to detune for DD and or pay a lot of money for race gas. Plus E85 has a lot lower EGTs and burns cleaner. I just want to see what it would do NA to a v6 with a ton of compression and a good cam. I am not sure what it would make. I am going to have to do my research on this first to see what the safest compression ratio on E85 will be plus what kind of lines I need to switch to prevent corrosion.

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #7
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

300hp N/A v6.....

E85
big valve heads
I would venture to say a custom upper intake (or upper/lower combo)
Cam is going to need some good duration
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #8
MM Fanatic

I am thinking that is the trick.

That is basically what i was thinking. We will have to see. I need to talk with a tuner to see how driveable the car would be. Plus I need to figure out what kind of fuel lines I would need to swap to.

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 mustang
7.48x1.56=11.67

JTs03v6 has a spectacular aura aboutJTs03v6 has a spectacular aura aboutJTs03v6 has a spectacular aura about

Stock fuel lines will work just fine. You can have a 4.2 crank shot peened and it will spin 7000rpm easilly, I'd be more worried about the rods and hardware.

I must say though, 300hp is weak unless you put nitrous on it. You'd basiclly be making what a mild bolt on 3v would but your going to have more driveability issues and burn more fuel dding.
Old April 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #10
Premium Member

99 V6 BASE
NEVER RACED THIS ONE

99 BLUE V6 has a spectacular aura about99 BLUE V6 has a spectacular aura about

I woud be concerned about fuel line from fuel rail back to hard line. Just because most of that's 10/12 years old.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #11
MM Fanatic

Ok, well how does nitrous work on E85? Would you just jet roughly 30% more since it is basically alcohol or no? Also can you run nitrous with that high of a compression ratio? I know some timing would have to be pulled.

EDIT: And ya that is kind of the concern as well the fuel line is pretty old. I am just tossing the idea up in the air. I am porting a set of heads for the car and it got me thinking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/257683-e85-conversion-serious-question-dont-want-bogus-answers.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Question on e85 conversion | evolutionm.net | BoardReader This thread Refback May 11th, 2012 08:23 PM

Threads Similar to: E85 conversion serious question and don't want bogus answers!!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gear question answers asap thanks mattstang5 V6 Mustangs 14 November 15th, 2011 07:29 PM
Few question/need answers TheWop 99 - 04 9 October 7th, 2010 11:05 PM
69 Mach 1 looking for answers about a 390 to 351w conversion: mcmenomy Classic Mustangs 2 June 1st, 2010 08:34 AM
unmanned radar stations bogus? dr.gonzo! The Clubhouse 23 June 22nd, 2007 07:34 PM
Question For AB . and some side answers Youngin V6 Mustangs 64 January 3rd, 2007 09:03 PM