Modded Mustang Forums banner

Swapping a 98 V6 intake manifold with for a 99 V6 manifold

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr. Red Pony 
#1 ·
Most people know that 98 mustang has 40 less hp than the 99. This is mainly due to the intake manifold and lack of the third valve. Dose anyone know if it is possible to put a 99 intake manifold on a 98?If so how much work are we talking about to get it to work?

#2 ·
I think that the bolt pattern for the intake man. is the same from 94-98 and 99-04 BUT however I think that the throttle body has a different umbilical connector and thus would have to be re-wired because the 94-98 TB WILL NOT FIT on a 99-04 upper. Super six motorsports makes a real good upper intake manifold for 94-98 V6's I would spend the money on that rather than purchase a 99-04 and have to worry about rewiring and replacing everything from the intake out to the fender.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/PDF/SSM2005catalogrev1.pdf

#3 ·
it is possible to put a 99+ intake manifold on any ford 3.8 block. so it can go on yours, but it is more than a simple bolt-on. if i had a pre-99 v6, i would purchase an even better flowing intake manifold (ssm, bbk...), and i would probably do that at the same time i stroked the 3.8 to a 4.2-4.3L. with the amount of work and money involved with the swap, you would be better off waiting until you were going to do more internal work instead of just swapping manifolds imo.

i dont plan on modding the hell out of my car, just making it decent and have something to learn with. if you want to just have fun with a v6 and have a TON of money to throw down, this might be a good swap for you, but i personally would like more power than a 3.8 can put out and dont plan on doing much after my gears to this car. i love the mustang and its potential, but a gt or cobra will be my next stang and that will be the one i go all out on.

then again, i may supercharge the v6, doubt it though. it all depends on my financial situation when i get out of college. ill probably end up being the guy who stands up for v6s for getting me into my favorite hobby, and i will respect most v6 owners, but i am now realizing that if you want a powerful stang for a decent budget and reliability, a v8 is what you need. sorry for the diatribe, just want to know how much you plan on doing with your car (all out v6 racer, street performer, or something more like me: learning project to prepare for my next stang...)

#4 ·
You're looking at a lot of work to swap over from the single port setup to the split ports in the 99+, youre best bet would be to find a donor motor from a wrecked 99+, but if you insist on the swap, there is tons of info I can pull up for you, but its entirely too much to type inbetween classes for me :)

#6 ·
there is also a SPI swap how-to video floating around on v6power.net you could get for a step by step. yeh a lot of the oem parts are interchangable, beleive it or not you can even use the winstar van 3.8 intake, but not with your factory hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.