99-04 V6 Tuneup and Replacement Parts List
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Regular

1999 3.8 V6

torque1113 is on a distinguished road

I have those rotors on my car and like them. You know that kit comes with ceramic pads right? Unless you really want the akebonos for whatever reason.
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Have you sharteezed?

2000 Mustang V6 Vert

Toadster is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by torque1113 View Post
I have those rotors on my car and like them. You know that kit comes with ceramic pads right? Unless you really want the akebonos for whatever reason.
yup - not sure if we're going to spend $60 or $260

amazing how cheap it is for those brakes!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old August 17th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

00 V6 02 GT

FakeSnake will become famous soon enoughFakeSnake will become famous soon enough

^ agreed on how cheap they are even AM has those rotors and pads for 299.99, way to step it up amazon
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Regular

1999 3.8 V6

torque1113 is on a distinguished road

Yea they are quite the bargain for drilled and slotted rotors. my brother found them for my dads acura tl and then I ordered a set from autoanything.com during a promotion they were doing. i didn't expect much of them but they've held up very well so far. ive had them for roughly a year and a half now
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

Reaper_88 is a jewel in the roughReaper_88 is a jewel in the roughReaper_88 is a jewel in the roughReaper_88 is a jewel in the rough

Sparkplugs:
Motorcraft platinums (original plugs that came on the car), or Autolite coppers.These are the best running plugs for our cars. Dont bother with iridium plugs, you will see zero differences from running a copper plug vs an iridium/platinum plug.

Coil pack:
Motocraft (Oiriginal coil pack that came with the car). Stay away from any non motorcraft coil pack, aftermarket coilpacks are utter crap due to terrible reliability and lifespan issues.

Air and oil filters:
-Either the K&N air filter one or a regular paper filter replacement will be sufficient.
-As for the oil filter, Mobile 1, Motorcraft, K&N, Royal Purple, etc. Stay away from FRAM filters.

Fuel Filter
-Motorcraft filter is a great choice

Brakes
-The powerstop combo kit is what i would go with

2004 Mustang GT 5-spd
2000 Mustang V6 5-spd - Sold
Old August 18th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Have you sharteezed?

2000 Mustang V6 Vert

Originally Posted by Reaper_88 View Post
Sparkplugs:
Motorcraft platinums (original plugs that came on the car), or Autolite coppers.These are the best running plugs for our cars. Dont bother with iridium plugs, you will see zero differences from running a copper plug vs an iridium/platinum plug.

Coil pack:
Motocraft (Oiriginal coil pack that came with the car). Stay away from any non motorcraft coil pack, aftermarket coilpacks are utter crap due to terrible reliability and lifespan issues.

Air and oil filters:
-Either the K&N air filter one or a regular paper filter replacement will be sufficient.
-As for the oil filter, Mobile 1, Motorcraft, K&N, Royal Purple, etc. Stay away from FRAM filters.

Fuel Filter

Brakes
yes, plugs can be quite the discussion point we got the Iridiums - mostly because I had a new set from my Mazda6s that I sold - so it was a good opportunity to re-use

we did the MSD coil - the old one was dying at 145k miles - so far so good!
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #8
The soul stealing Ginger

2001 Mustang 3.8l

dgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to dgt_mustang

Before purchasing from amazon (which i am a HUGE fan of of) cross reference some of your part numbers with RockAuto Parts Catalog . you come out a few bucks cheaper alot.

Dr.Gonzo! is the Ultimate IT master, the king of tech, The Dong.
The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #9
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

Reaper_88 is a jewel in the roughReaper_88 is a jewel in the roughReaper_88 is a jewel in the roughReaper_88 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
yes, plugs can be quite the discussion point we got the Iridiums - mostly because I had a new set from my Mazda6s that I sold - so it was a good opportunity to re-use

we did the MSD coil - the old one was dying at 145k miles - so far so good!
apart from longevity, they are virtually no benefits from running iridiums to say copper/platinum plugs. The Huge price diffrence makes getting irridiums almost pointless imo. As a general rule you should almost always simply run what came on the car from the factory (Motorcraft Platinums). Me personally i run Autolite coppers since they were the most reliable plug with my tune. The platinums i had before were causing detonation issues.

2004 Mustang GT 5-spd
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #10

1967 Mustang Fastback
11.17@130

motorking is on a distinguished road

bad advice

Sparkplugs:

Really far off base dude. Iridium spark plugs take less voltage to fire, make a larger flame kernal in the combustion chamber and have virtually no gap erosion over 120k miles. So, you can buy three sets of copper core plugs and you will still not have as robust ignition performance or last as long as one set of iridium fine wire spark plugs

Coil pack:

Air and oil filters:

K+N air filters are 60% efficient, paper filters from FRAM and others-99%. So, if you into ingesting dirt into your engine, buy K+N

-As for the oil filter, Mobile 1, Made by FRAM FiltrationMotorcraft, K&N, K+N now made in korea and has lower efficiency than beforeRoyal Purple,made by FRAM Filtration, not as good as FRAM Ultra at double the price. etc. Stay away from FRAM filters.Really? You are simply misinformed, would love to bring you to the FRAM lab sometime to teah you about filtration.

Fuel Filter

Brakes
Your really distributing alot of bad information here. You should check your facts more thoroughly before offering advice.
Old August 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Have you sharteezed?

2000 Mustang V6 Vert

Originally Posted by dgt_mustang View Post
Before purchasing from amazon (which i am a HUGE fan of of) cross reference some of your part numbers with RockAuto Parts Catalog . you come out a few bucks cheaper alot.
yes, it always pays to shop around - can't go wrong if you're a prime customer though - well, most times

apart from longevity, they are virtually no benefits from running iridiums to say copper/platinum plugs. The Huge price diffrence makes getting irridiums almost pointless imo. As a general rule you should almost always simply run what came on the car from the factory (Motorcraft Platinums). Me personally i run Autolite coppers since they were the most reliable plug with my tune. The platinums i had before were causing detonation issues.
you can replace copper plugs once a year, or iridiums once every 80-100k - price vs longevity
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #12
The soul stealing Ginger

2001 Mustang 3.8l

dgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to beholddgt_mustang is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to dgt_mustang

Originally Posted by motorking View Post
Your really distributing alot of bad information here. You should check your facts more thoroughly before offering advice.
You should change the color of your comments or seperate them from his quote if your wanting it to be heard.

Dr.Gonzo! is the Ultimate IT master, the king of tech, The Dong.
The Dong^?? ZIP!!!
Old August 20th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #13
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

Toadster, the FL820S is the 4.6L oil filter p/n. A 3.8L takes a FL400S.

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 Mustang GT

by all means do explain id love to see why a member with 4 posts believes the advice I am giving is terrible. a general rule with any vehicle is to stick with the oem components that it originaly came with (notable exceptions include vehicles converted to use n20 or f/I setups which require a colder heat range sparkplugs etc). Why do this? simple the engineers who designed the vehicle know exactly what the vehicle would require.

Now im not saying irridium plugs on a whole are bad. no what im saying is u should simply run what the car was designed to run

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

FRAM filters use cardboard end caps.... ur argument is invalid

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
yes, it always pays to shop around - can't go wrong if you're a prime customer though - well, most times

you can replace copper plugs once a year, or iridiums once every 80-100k - price vs longevity
copper plugs last around 30k miles and cost around 2 bucks a plug, plus longevity shouldnt really be an issue... it literally takes like 1 hour to swap out the plugs

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Really far off base dude. Iridium spark plugs take less voltage to fire, make a larger flame kernal in the combustion chamber and have virtually no gap erosion over 120k miles. So, you can buy three sets of copper core plugs and you will still not have as robust ignition performance or last as long as one set of iridium fine wire spark plugs
1. Coil pack will distribute the same amount of voltage to the plugs regardless if they are iridium/copper/platinum.
2. Its been proven/accepted that the stronger spark produced by the irridiums have virtually no impact on performance.
3. I never questioned the longevity of irridiums, however, swapping out the plugs is a cakewalk so paying 7-10 bucks a plug vs 2 bucks a plug seems pretty damn stupid.

2004 Mustang GT 5-spd
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #15
Have you sharteezed?

2000 Mustang V6 Vert

Originally Posted by Tang Stang View Post
Toadster, the FL820S is the 4.6L oil filter p/n. A 3.8L takes a FL400S.
oh - good catch!
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:57 PM   #16

1967 Mustang Fastback
11.17@130

by all means do explain id love to see why a member with 4 posts believes the advice I am giving is terrible.

I am a ASE master tech with over 30 yrs experience including over ten yrs working in spark plug engineering

a general rule with any vehicle is to stick with the oem components that it originaly came with (notable exceptions include vehicles converted to use n20 or f/I setups which require a colder heat range sparkplugs etc). N20, turbos, higher compression, superchargers require colder plugs, converting to F/I? Does not require colder plugs. When your car came out, finewire iridium sparks plugs didnt exist. they will improve the ignition performance of any car they are installed in, witness the fact that over 88% of all cars made now use iridium finewire spark plugs. Why do this? simple the engineers who designed the vehicle know exactly what the vehicle would require.

Now im not saying irridium plugs on a whole are bad. no what im saying is u should simply run what the car was designed to run

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

FRAM filters use cardboard end caps.... ur argument is invalid

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------
Your hacked up filter cartridge proves nothing. It didnt come out of the can with the end caps looking like that. Nissan, Honda, bentley, subaru, GM all use fiber or felt end caps today as OE filters, Toyota OE filters have no end caps at all, just the ends of the media woven together.

copper plugs last around 30k miles and cost around 2 bucks a plug, plus longevity shouldnt really be an issue... it literally takes like 1 hour to swap out the plugs

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

1. Coil pack will distribute the same amount of voltage to the plugs regardless if they are iridium/copper/platinum. Simply not true. Coils fire the circuit with the amout of voltage required to jump to ground. Double platinum plugs have the highest required voltage, the single platinums, then copper and Iridium finewire plugs take the least amount of voltage to jump the gap, this allows more coil saturation time.
2. Its been proven/accepted that the stronger spark produced by the irridiums have virtually no impact on performance. Wrong again, all you need for proof of that is the simpe fact that almost 90% of all cars made now use FW plugs for that very reason. more power, more complete burn, lower emissions and better fuel economy
3. I never questioned the longevity of irridiums, however, swapping out the plugs is a cakewalk so paying 7-10 bucks a plug vs 2 bucks a plug seems pretty damn stupid.
Unless of course, your time is worth nothing. I am not trying to give you a hard time. You can see the facts on K+N at the GMC truck forum, they paid an independent lab to test air filters for a duramax. the best paper filters all held 400 grams of dirt and only allowed 1 gram to pass, K+N held 160grams and let 7 grams of dirt into the engine. These facts are not from me, look it up, they paid a lab to test these and published the results. As for your FRAM bashing, I work there, we get letters every single day from loyal users with 300, 400 and 500,000 miles on their vehicles. You can learn alot about filtration by watching this video and checking the filter manufacturers website at FMC.org
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:12 PM   #17
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

Tang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant futureTang Stang has a brilliant future

N20, turbos, higher compression, superchargers require colder plugs, converting to F/I? Does not require colder plugs.
FI = forced induction around here, not fuel injection. Going from NA to FI typically necessitates dropping at least one heat range.

Nissan, Honda, bentley, subaru, GM all use fiber or felt end caps today as OE filters, Toyota OE filters have no end caps at all, just the ends of the media woven together
And what is Ford using?

As for your FRAM bashing, I work there...
Who'd have thought? So have you guys begun installing ADBV's in your filters yet? Your product has one heck of a reputation up against it (I'm speaking in regards to it being known as the "orange can of death" and all).

As far as this finewire sparkplug debate is concerned, they're great plugs. I've used them in a few blown applications in which I was able to run a much larger gap without blowout than I was able to with a copper plug. But on a stock NA 3.8L V6? I'd have a very hard time justifying the added expense. A $50 set of sparkplugs is doable on a $10K engine. It's a tough pill to swallow on a $300 engine.

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #18
Have you sharteezed?

2000 Mustang V6 Vert

I always say, put stuff in your car that is OEM or BETTER than OEM
Old August 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #19

1967 Mustang Fastback
11.17@130

Originally Posted by Tang Stang View Post
FI = forced induction around here, not fuel injection. Going from NA to FI typically necessitates dropping at least one heat range.

And what is Ford using?

Who'd have thought? So have you guys begun installing ADBV's in your filters yet? Your product has one heck of a reputation up against it (I'm speaking in regards to it being known as the "orange can of death" and all).

As far as this finewire sparkplug debate is concerned, they're great plugs. I've used them in a few blown applications in which I was able to run a much larger gap without blowout than I was able to with a copper plug. But on a stock NA 3.8L V6? I'd have a very hard time justifying the added expense. A $50 set of sparkplugs is doable on a $10K engine. It's a tough pill to swallow on a $300 engine.
Gee, we have installed ADBV in every single filter that has one from the factory for the last 80 years. We never omit an ADBV when it is an OE requirement.
Your still very wrong about the spark plugs as well, your assuming your time is worth nothing. OCOD? Please dude, learn about filtration. We make OE filters for Honda, Subaru and GM, none have "metal end caps". Guess all those brand know nothing about quality filtration. We build and sell 200 million filters a year. If the tern "OCOD" meant anything at all we would not be in business. Have a nice day, just hope you spend some time learning before giving any more advice.
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #20
a.k.a. Racecougar

2004 Mustang GT

We never omit an ADBV when it is an OE requirement.
That statement leaves out more than a few filters, now doesn't it.

Your still very wrong about the spark plugs as well, your assuming your time is worth nothing.
Please explain exactly which part I'm "very wrong" about. If it's my comment as to their value on a $300 NA V6, then that is a matter of opinion. We're allowed to have different opinions. As far as time is concerned, it's much easier to justify an extra spark plug change or two per 60-100K miles on a NA V6 than it is to stick a $50 set of plugs in it.

OCOD? Please dude, learn about filtration. We make OE filters for Honda, Subaru and GM, none have "metal end caps". Guess all those brand know nothing about quality filtration. We build and sell 200 million filters a year. If the tern "OCOD" meant anything at all we would not be in business.
Like I said, your filters have a reputation to overcome. Spend any time over at BITOG? If "orange can of death" wasn't a prevalent term, methinks you wouldn't know it as "OCOD".

Have a nice day, just hope you spend some time learning before giving any more advice.
Gee. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.