Leaking plastic plug/tag(?) on transmission
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 19th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1

Willis11of12 is on a distinguished road

Leaking plastic plug/tag(?) on transmission

So while replacing my Transmission mount, I noticed that the cream colored plastic plug (?) with a small bolt in it was leaking very slowly, though it wasn't loose at all. I loosened it slightly and tightened it again, but it still seems to leak. Is there a good way to make this leak stop? If I take it off, is there some o-ring or something I can replace to stop the leak, and would taking it off drain a bunch of ATF out on me before I could fix the leak? I can't seem to find out what this plastic tag, or plug, is, and I don't want to ruin my transmission by taking it off to look at it if it's going to drain out my fluid. Any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The cream colored plastic tag or plug is to the right and center, just right of the "W".
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Banned

2000 Golf VRSex

iammclovin804 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's for the speedo cable which you don't have. Fluid shouldn't gush out if you take it off, unless you're overfilled. There's an o ring that goes in there to seal it up. Either replace that or just put some silicone around it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #3

Many Thanks! I think I'll go take it off then and look at it and perhaps put some silicon on it. Does it matter what kind I use? If I use kitchen and bath silicon, is that going to work okay?
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:12 AM   #4
Banned

2000 Golf VRSex

iammclovin804 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used high temp rtv on my trans when my cooler line was leaking. I don't know how well regular household stuff with hold up or if it really makes a difference.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old September 20th, 2013, 03:47 AM   #5

I put an extra rubber gasket on it that fit well. I did put a little household silicon on it as extra precaution. I'll try to remember to use high temp rtv if I have any more problems with it. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.