Modded Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How hard or easy is it to change a fuel filter on a 2000 Mustang?

29K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxphazedragon 
#1 ·
I bought a fuel filter today and am planning on changing it out tomorrow. Where exactly is it located and do you have to relieve the pressure first?:wave

#6 ·
1. Motorcraft Fuel Filter--Part #FG-986B
2. 5/16Fuel Line-A/C Line Disconnect Tool. (Any autoparts store has them)
3. Flat head screw driver.
Directions
1. I first backed the car up onto my Rhino Ramps.
2. Disconnect the fuel inertia switch that is located in the trunk. This switch cuts off fuel
3. Next find the Schrader valve that is located by the throttle body, which is located at the end of the fuel rail towards the front of the car. It looks like a tire valve.
4. Once the Schrader valve is located unscrew the cap of the Schrader valve and use a small screwdriver or something to release the fuel pressure. This is much like letting air out of a tire....just press down and it will release the pressure. I would recommend wrapping a shop rag or towell around the Schrader valve and whatever you use to release the pressure. Gas will shoot up, not a lot, but enough.
5. Once you have the inertia switch unplugged and fuel pressure relieved start the car and let it idle until there is no more fuel getting to through the lines, which will cause the car to die on it's own and should minimize the amount of fuel that is released when changing the filter.
6. Next unplug the battery. I didn't do this, but my car threw a code after unplugging the inertia switch and used my predator to clear it. I think unplugging the battery will reset the computer after plugging the inertia switch back in when finished.
7. Get under the car and locate the fuel filter, which is right behind the gas tank.
8. Unscrew and remove the clamp.
9. Pry the fuel filter out of the the housing, which will give you a little room to work with.
10. Then take the 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool and slide in on the fuel line and move it to the outside (away from the fuel filter).
11. Once you get the fuel line disconnect tool slid all the way in, then pull the fuel line off the filter. A little bit of gas will come out so have something on the ground to soak it up.....I used some cardboard that I had left over from moving. I would also suggest goggles so fuel can't get into your eyes. Not a lot of fuel came out when I did this, but you never know.
12. Re-connect the fuel lines to the filter, but make sure the arrow on the filter is pointing toward the engine side of the fuel line.
13. Slide the filter back into the housing and put the clamp around the filter.
14. Re-connect the inertia switch
15. Re-connect the battery
16. Make sure to put the Schrader cap back on.
17. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position and leave it for a few second, but do not start the car. Do that a few time to allow fuel pressure to build back up.
18. Check for any leaks.
19. Start the car and your done

#9 ·
If your going this on a mustang with the live axle it goes pretty easy the same way as described
i have a 99 cobra with I.R.S. and it is a pretty tight fit with the rear control arms i could only get one hand on the filter but my filter still would not gome out so i will try again at a later date. the dis-connect tool was pushed in all the way but would still not release:confused:

#11 ·
on my 98 did the inertia thing as soon as i unplugged it the car wouldn't start and got a little fuel dripping out but wasn't that bad but on the 99 cobra i just bought you need super small hands to get around the independent rear suspension and that is a PITA in my opinion..... but i will have another look at it this week

#12 ·
Or grow balls and take a gas shower.

Seriously though, jack up the back end of your car.
You'll see the fuel filter.

My 04:

Two clips, one on each side, must be popped off first.
Take the fuel line disconnect tool, put it around the fuel filter line.
Slide it into the fuel line.
Insert firmly.
Using basic man skills, get a towel in that general area and pull the fuel line off.
It was kinda tough to do, and have to keep pushing in on the disconnect tool.
Jiggle it a little and it will come out.
Becarefull too, the fuel filter will spill out some fuel.

Pop the fuel filter out of its little holder. Put the new one in in the correct direction, slide the lines on the new filter. Put the clips on. Go turn the key on a few times and prime the fuel pump. Check for leaks. Drop car back down. Smoke a ciggarete -_-
Start car. Go.

#14 ·
I couldn't get them undone so i'll let it sit for a few days and try again. But nothing like a gas shower...LOL... siphoning gas out is more fun i got a mouthful of premium fuel and puked my guts out...lol but i burped gas for about 6 hours... i kept telling my brother-in-law not to light a cigarette near me

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.