Modded Mustang Forums banner

Chevy 3.8 sound vs. Ford 3.8 sound?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  1SloSix 
#1 ·
Do these engines sound the same? I've read that the Ford 3.8 was just a ripoff of the Buick V6. If that's the case wouldn't these engines essentially be the same? Wouldn't they produce the same sound if they had the same exhaust?

The reason I'm asking is because I found a video of a cammed 3.8 Firebird with some Borla XR1 mufflers on it and it sounds amazing. I'm trying to figure out if my 2000 V6 mustang would sound the same with those mufflers. I have a Borla S Type catback on mine currently with MAC LTs and MAC O/R H Pipe. It can get really raspy. The video of the Firebird has no rasp in it. It sounds mean with those XR1 mufflers on it.

Here's the video:

Does anyone know of anyone putting the XR1s on a 3.8 V6 mustang? The only videos I found were with 3.8 Firebirds and Camaros. I'd like to talk to anyone who used these if I can.

#2 ·
Yes and no. V6 motors in general all kind of have that high pitched rasp to them but it varies by motor.
A lot of factors go into exhaust sound including - exhaust setup (pipe diameter, mufflers, headers, etc), single vs dual exhaust, single muffler vs dual mufflers (regardless of dual tailpipes or not), cam profile, catalytic converters or not, etc.
It also depends on firing order of the motor, and single over head cam vs dual overhead cam vs pushrod (over head valve), and if the car has variable valve timing or something similar plus a bunch of other factors.

So to answer your question.....will they sound the same? No. Will they sound similar? Uhhhh potentially? I think that the v6 in those firebirds/camaros is a pushrod as well so there is that similarity I guess.
Have I heard a borla xr1 on a 3.8 v6 mustang? Nope.

I am curious as to what your car sounds like with the longtubes and borla stingers though. Post a video.
Also, interesting enough, I believe the XR1 is less restrictive than the stinger, meaning that it may actually be louder/more raspy. At least I would think so.

#3 ·
I can tell you from personal experience it will not sound the same. My brother has a 3.8 Firebird - and you're correct SlowSix it's OHV. His and my cars sounded completely different with the same Flowmaster muffler. Hell, even two 3.8 GMs sound different. His buddy has a Grand Prix GTP and hates the fact the GTP will never have the same growl as the 'Bird.

Yes the Ford 3.8 is a stolen Buick design but both engines have gone completely different paths over the years and have changed.

Biggest difference is the firing order.

GM - Firing: 1-6-5-4-3-2 Bore&Stroke: 96.52mm X 86.36mm
Ford - Firing: 1-4-2-5-3-6 Bore&Stroke: 96.8mm X 86.1mm

_

#5 ·
As much as I dislike GM, I can say I had my fair share of em before I got into a Mustang. The 3800 and the Ford 3.8L will not sound anything alike at all, one of my old Grand Prixs' had the 3800 in it and even the 3800 that I had had. Sounded different to the 3800 that my buddy has in his Regal he currently drives (same year era too, stock exhaust on both)

Now theres quite a few differences between the two, the GM 3.8 for instance is setup with a roller cam and floating pistons from the factory, and not to mention the Harmonic balancer on those engines are litterly the size of of a spare wheel!

Both engines have their pros and cons though

#6 ·
I ordered 2 borla pro XS mufflers for my car. Granted my car is turbo so it sounds a good bit different, but I'll post a video once I get them welded in.
I am fingers crossed that they don't sound terrible lol. It currently has two flowmaster 40's but those aren't really good for flow with a turbo.

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

I ordered 2 borla pro XS mufflers for my car. Granted my car is turbo so it sounds a good bit different, but I'll post a video once I get them welded in.
I am fingers crossed that they don't sound terrible lol. It currently has two flowmaster 40's but those aren't really good for flow with a turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.