Modded Mustang Forums banner

muffler rattling against frame rail

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Filly 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 V-6 mustang with the Mac dual exhaust kit (cat back system). The driver side mufflers rattles against the frame because of how close the mufflers is. Does anyone else with an aftermarket duel exhaust kit have this problem and if so, what did you do to solve the problem?

#3 ·
No, it's a brand new system. I installed it myself. It had the exact same system from American Muscle when I bought the car and the same muffler rattled too. I'm guessing it's because the V-6 stangs were never intended to have duel exhaust.
I was hoping to find someone on here that had a 3.8 mustang (99-04), that had the same problem and had a remedy for it. I've tried folding aluminum foil and placing it between the muffler and frame but it somehow always finds a way to work loose and fall out.

#6 ·
No, it's a brand new system. I installed it myself. It had the exact same system from American Muscle when I bought the car and the same muffler rattled too. I'm guessing it's because the V-6 stangs were never intended to have duel exhaust.
I was hoping to find someone on here that had a 3.8 mustang (99-04), that had the same problem and had a remedy for it.

I've tried folding aluminum foil and placing it between the muffler and frame but it somehow always finds a way to work loose and fall out.
Dude i have owned two 2004 v6 mustangs. Between them i had 9 exhausts. Just because a new system says it comes with all you need doesn't mean it won't do better with another hanger. I had a shop add additional stiffer hangers at the mufflers just before the bend to the over axle portion to keep that rattle from being there on my last anf favorite setup. Which was borla stingers You're welcome

Attachments

#5 ·
Oh, I know exactly where the rattle is. I don't need a lift to find it. I bought a sheet of 1/4 inch thick industrial, high temp silicone and used a high strength adhesive and bonded it to the frame rail

#7 ·
More than likely, your clearances are messed up because of the angle the piping was at when you connected the mid pipe to the header and the mid pipe to the catback. Loosen the main bolts that connect these together and push the piping either up down or left or right and tighten it back down with that tension still applied. When you tighten it back up it will stay. I.e. If the muffler is rubbing on the right side next to the frame, loosen those bolts and push the muffler to the left and then retighten it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.