Trouble Code P1413 - Page 2
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:30 PM   #21

Mrs_Mustang is on a distinguished road

I remember when my husband still owned his Blazer one of the O2 sensors went bad and the code actually said "Bank 1 Sensor 2" or something like that. Not that I could make any sense of it, but after failing emissions three times we wound up taking it down to Firestone to have it replaced.

I heard somewhere that you need a special tool to take it out. Is this true? The pic on Rock Auto looked like an outlet plug...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #22
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2001 Mustang 232/CBR600
14+@Slow

Juggalo_X will become famous soon enoughJuggalo_X will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Juggalo_X

Originally Posted by Mrs_Mustang
I remember when my husband still owned his Blazer one of the O2 sensors went bad and the code actually said "Bank 1 Sensor 2" or something like that. Not that I could make any sense of it, but after failing emissions three times we wound up taking it down to Firestone to have it replaced.

I heard somewhere that you need a special tool to take it out. Is this true? The pic on Rock Auto looked like an outlet plug...
yes you will need an o2 sensor socket unless u can get a wrench on it and that might be possible. and unfortunitly its very rare for our cars to throw a code for the rear o2 sensors. it will turn on the MIL light and spit out no code. thats a good indication the rear sensors are shot. or if you have a obd2 interface like i do u can monitor the operation of all 4 o2 sensors and find the malfunctioning one by graphing all 4 and figuring out which one isn't like the other is a game i tell yah :LMAO
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #23

Wow, ain't that something... How much did that cost ya?
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #24

2001 Mustang 232/CBR600
14+@Slow

Juggalo_X will become famous soon enoughJuggalo_X will become famous soon enough

Wow, ain't that something... How much did that cost ya?
40 bux on ebay. u will need a laptop tho. i also have a legitimate obd2 hand held scanner with freeze frame capability and live sensor data logging
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #25
Hardcore Enthusiast

2004 mustang 40th annv.

scubasteve041186 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to scubasteve041186

get the MILs ?
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #26

2001 Mustang 232/CBR600
14+@Slow

could always turn off the rear sensors.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #27

I would imagine it would be cheaper just to fix the damn thing. Don't they charge you like $300 to install a chip in the car to shut it off? They should be more precise with those trouble codes!!!!

....But then again that would make it WAY too easy...
....We don't want THAT to happen...
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #28

I have FINALLY solved the mystery of P1413. It wound up being the smog pump after all... Five pumps and two bottles of WD40 later... Show's ya not to buy sh*t out of a junkyard. Not to mention, the vacuum solenoid was bad too. I pulled off the tube that connected them both and the pump wasn't blowing air; the solenoid wasn't sucking air either. I wound up dissecting these five smog pumps. Not only were they filled with water, but the motor was usually covered in about an inch of rust and the fan inside was all seized up. All I can say is find a junkyard that guarantees their parts. Ford Motors wanted $250 for the stupid thing, without shipping!!

In case anyone else is trying to decipher this code, check the vacuum solenoid first. It's A LOT cheaper, but chances are the pump is bad too. Blow through the steel end, and if no air comes out the other side it's toast... Replace it. For part 2, wait until the engine is cool and start it up. The rubber hose that connects the pump to the solenoid check valve thingy should be blowing air. If it's not, the pump is bad or it's not receiving power for one of various reasons. Chances are the pump is just rusted out or seized up like the five that I went through before fixing it. It runs on DC power so to check it, just pull it out (it's in the front by the passenger side bumper, there's only three bolts holding it in... (10mm)) and hook it up to the battery with two pieces of wire (strip the ends first). I'll betcha it doesn't turn on. Get a new one, test it using the same method, replace it and that should be the extent of the problem. Thankfully I never had to change the O2 sensors.

Oh, and by the way, there is also fuse in the power distribution box called "Secondary Air Injection System". It's 30 AMP MAXI and about $1.99 from AutoZone. It would probably be a good idea to check this too before spending $100 from a junkyard for a pump you might not need. Google "P1413 fuse" to get a diagram, but I think it's the sixth one in.

I hope this helps! If I get a chance I'll post some pics of the parts and locations.
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #29

2001 Mustang 232/CBR600
14+@Slow

Thanks for the update
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #30
Hardcore Enthusiast

97stanger is an unknown quantity at this point

heres the diagram...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 56542318_140.gif (18.5 KB, 80 views)

aww, you fucking piece of shit, you are making me get all fucking emotional now
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #31

I know this is kinda off topic, but it seems that my car has developed a new problem.... The neverending story... Anyways, the car is making a honking sound when I step on the gas from a stop. It's very brief, but extremely irritating. It's louder and longer when the wheel is turned. I've ruled out the power steering pump, and I've received advice from many people. Supposedly you can't tap off the grease on any of the joints (who's dumb idea was that?!?) and the "Outer Tie Rod Ends" are a common problem with Ford vehicles. I don't know if this is problem, but it's a start right? Maybe if someone has experience in this department they could lead me in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what an "Outer Tie Rod End" is, where I can find it on the car, how many there are, what it actually does and how to check/replace it. I'm hesitant to open up my Hayne's manual. Every time I do, I feel I lose a couple dozen brain cells... If someone has a picture of this thing or has had a similar problem, please let me know. Depending on how difficult it is to fix, I might opt to take it into the shop to get fixed...

Thanks in advance...
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #32

2001 Mustang 232/CBR600
14+@Slow

I know this is kinda off topic, but it seems that my car has developed a new problem.... The neverending story... Anyways, the car is making a honking sound when I step on the gas from a stop. It's very brief, but extremely irritating. It's louder and longer when the wheel is turned. I've ruled out the power steering pump, and I've received advice from many people. Supposedly you can't tap off the grease on any of the joints (who's dumb idea was that?!?) and the "Outer Tie Rod Ends" are a common problem with Ford vehicles. I don't know if this is problem, but it's a start right? Maybe if someone has experience in this department they could lead me in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what an "Outer Tie Rod End" is, where I can find it on the car, how many there are, what it actually does and how to check/replace it. I'm hesitant to open up my Hayne's manual. Every time I do, I feel I lose a couple dozen brain cells... If someone has a picture of this thing or has had a similar problem, please let me know. Depending on how difficult it is to fix, I might opt to take it into the shop to get fixed...

Thanks in advance...
power steering pump or ur rack is in need or lubrication / steering column could need lube or ur rack is defective.... it has pressure relieving line that allow the fluid to travel from one side to the other depending on the turn of the wheel and if they are collapsed or clogged it will squeak and squawk
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #33

This is probably a really stupid question but... What do you mean by the rack? And where can I find it? Does it have anything to do with the differential?

I think if it was the steering column then I would hear it on turns too... Oddly enough I only hear it when I come to a complete stop and then step on the gas. That's why I kinda ruled out the power steering pump.

I generally don't hear anything coming from the front end of the car, it's more like the middle/rear. I figured it might have been a build up of brake dust on the rotors or something so I scrubbed and sprayed inside the tires and the wheel wells and it stopped for about a day or two. I was pretty excited, but when the sound came back I started to get a little worried and started to do some research on it. Some guy on Yahoo Answers said the struts might be dry and I should spray them down with lubricant. Does this sound right? Do you know if the struts are used when you step on the gas from a stop?
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #34

2001 Mustang 232/CBR600
14+@Slow

This is probably a really stupid question but... What do you mean by the rack? And where can I find it? Does it have anything to do with the differential?

I think if it was the steering column then I would hear it on turns too... Oddly enough I only hear it when I come to a complete stop and then step on the gas. That's why I kinda ruled out the power steering pump.

I generally don't hear anything coming from the front end of the car, it's more like the middle/rear. I figured it might have been a build up of brake dust on the rotors or something so I scrubbed and sprayed inside the tires and the wheel wells and it stopped for about a day or two. I was pretty excited, but when the sound came back I started to get a little worried and started to do some research on it. Some guy on Yahoo Answers said the struts might be dry and I should spray them down with lubricant. Does this sound right? Do you know if the struts are used when you step on the gas from a stop?
steering rack
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #35

Av Mustang is on a distinguished road

Mine is a 2000 3.8L Mustang. OBDII comes up with P0411 & P1414 (Secondary Air Injection). Folks mentioned smog pump and/or rear O2 sensors as possible culprits. Is there a way to tell if it's one or the other? I'd hate to have to replace a bunch of parts...
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:38 PM   #36
Look Ma! My First Post!

qzpm150 is on a distinguished road

Thanks I had this same prob
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM   #37
I'm, Ron Burgundy?

2006 Silverado 5.3

Gerbig is a name known to allGerbig is a name known to allGerbig is a name known to allGerbig is a name known to allGerbig is a name known to allGerbig is a name known to all

Fucking christ man
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #38
Look Ma! My First Post!

DWJB8761 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GreenFaleen View Post
umm i;m actually not to sure where the rear ones are located I haven't really played around with the emissions system Juggalo_X probably knows if you wanna pm him

I'm currently working on a 1999 mustang 3.8

I was getting code P1413

I've replaced the relay and the harness, but I'm not getting power from the relay, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Trouble Code P1413
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trouble code p1495 DragonFreak 96 - 98 5 August 18th, 2007 11:02 PM
trouble code 00vabchgt 99 - 04 5 April 17th, 2007 04:57 PM
Trouble code dezzrat1 94-95 0 April 17th, 2007 09:36 AM
Trouble Code pdg36 V6 Mustangs 1 March 29th, 2007 07:35 PM
Trouble code help supu80 V6 Mustangs 8 December 30th, 2006 10:10 PM