2000 Mustang spark plug changing
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > V6 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM   #1

Black Wind is on a distinguished road

2000 Mustang spark plug changing

I have a 2000 Mustanfg with a 3.8L V6. I plan to change out the spark plugs and spark plug wires myself and, bear with me, noticed that even though the driver's side of the engine has spark plugs that are accessable, the passenger's side of the engine's spark plugs cannot even be seen, or the spark plug wires, due to everything that sits above them. Is there a practicle way that I can change out the plugs and wires? Also, what would be the best replacement plugs for this Mustang, besides Motor Craft? Thank you.
  Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Banned

00 V6 & 09 GT
13.37@104.4mph--BONE stock GT

itschristorres8 has a spectacular aura aboutitschristorres8 has a spectacular aura aboutitschristorres8 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to itschristorres8

audiolite copper....not sure how to spell audiolite but..i dont care

anyway the passenger side you just gotta feel around for...the hardest ones are the last one closest to the windshield or the back of the car.

but i have the same mustang as you and i've done mine twice with a lil bit or struggle an frustration but i did it with out removing anything.

the first time me and my dad moved shit and it was just a pain in the ass to get shit back on.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Regular

2000 Mustang GT

TheTechnical99 is on a distinguished road

I'm in the process of changing the plugs on my 99 right now. Got the driver's side done in about an hour. Passenger side plugs are still in the box, but it looks like I'll take off the intake tubing to make getting to them a little bit easier. A swivel socket might help, too.

I'm just replacing them with the standard AutoLite Platinum $2.50/each jobs and they've been fine. From the ones I've taken out they've all been burning fine except for a little buildup on one. I'm not ready to pay $7 for a plug.
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

00SoSlow is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 00SoSlow

I changed mine about 3k miles ago and the driver side was easy, but the passenger side was a bitch... a good size extension and small hands is perfect for the passenger side if u take the intake off. just take ur time and make sure u dont mess anything up, make sure there tite but not to tite where uc an't get them off next time. and then put the tube back on connect all hoses and ur good to go... gl any questions post em

1987 LX Hatch | Soon to be a 600hp monster
Old December 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #5
Banned

00 V6 & 09 GT

itschristorres8 has a spectacular aura aboutitschristorres8 has a spectacular aura aboutitschristorres8 has a spectacular aura about

i would get copper...i heard platinum can do some serious damage if your flooring it or on the pedal alot

also...it took me like an hour to do all 6 plugs..its not that hard just a little frustrating.

also, i believe the spacing is .51
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #6

Black Wind is on a distinguished road

So, if I understand this correctly: I will not have to go under the engine to replace the plugs? I will actually be able to go thru the top of the engine to replace the plugs?
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Banned

00 V6 & 09 GT

yea lol....dude its spark plugs, a shop takes like 30 min to do it...but sometimes they wont change the back ones because its a pain and you'll never know

thats why i always do WHATEVER i can on my own
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #8
Enthusiast

2009 v6 Mustang

chevy_killer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to chevy_killer Send a message via Yahoo to chevy_killer

if you want to get some really good plugs it will cost a lot but go to this site and check out these plugs http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...10391_-1_10359
any of these plugs are great its just a matter of opinion
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM   #9
Regular

2003 Mustang GT

chrish91286 is on a distinguished road

yeah the passenger side is a bitch if you dont have the rightt tools. a flexible head ratchet thats about a foot long is perfect. it took me about an hour total but ive done mine a couple of times already but once you get it you wont forget how. as for a shop not doing a plug it could happen but they'd get bitch slaped if anyone noticed. most dealerships will do a job to a T just to make sure you come back to spend your money with them
70mm t/b, plenum, cast intake manifold, full magnaflow exhaust, JLT cai, FRPP c springs, anti roll kit, steeda upper control arms, custom tune, subframe connectors, HID headlights, mach 1 chin spoiler
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Look Ma! My First Post!

UTIStudentJason is on a distinguished road

Reply To Spark Plug Query

The best thing to get as far as spark plugs are NGK Iridium. You'll have to check to make sure you have the correct heat range for your vehicle. DO NOT USE platinum. Whoever said they mess up your car was absolutely right. I do alot of street racing and they jacked my car up real good. A misfire in every cylinder.

As far as changing the spark plugs on the passenger side just remove the Air Intake tube that runs to the throttle body and you should be able to reach them, you could also remove the EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) tubing to reach them but it's a pain the the butt to put back on. Hope this helps, if you have any questions email me.

- Jason
Old January 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11
SPAMMER

2002, Ford, v6

ESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to allESG-642T is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to ESG-642T Send a message via Yahoo to ESG-642T

Please don't put NGK iridium plus in your car, there is only one practical reason for putting those plugs in our cars. Stick with Autolite/motorcraft/ngk copper plus.

It takes me 10 min to change plus with a regular wrench and spark plug socket. No special tools needed.
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #12
Regular

2002 Mustang GT Silver

mustangv600 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by UTIStudentJason View Post
The best thing to get as far as spark plugs are NGK Iridium. You'll have to check to make sure you have the correct heat range for your vehicle. DO NOT USE platinum. Whoever said they mess up your car was absolutely right. I do alot of street racing and they jacked my car up real good. A misfire in every cylinder.

As far as changing the spark plugs on the passenger side just remove the Air Intake tube that runs to the throttle body and you should be able to reach them, you could also remove the EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) tubing to reach them but it's a pain the the butt to put back on. Hope this helps, if you have any questions email me.

- Jason
Do platinum plugs really mess up the engine because Ive had motorcraft platinum in my car for a while and I just replaced them with autolite platinum plugs and I hadnt noticed anything wrong with my car but then again I dont street race too much at all either
Old January 17th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #13
MM's Official Lucifer

'00 3.8L & '05 4.6L

goren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nicegoren813 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to goren813

No. I ran Bosch Platinum +4's for TOO long, meaning I overlapped when I should have changed them at the regular interval, and they still ran fine til I finally replaced them. Never had a single issue. Copper plugs produce better spark, platinum's last longer. People will say they are terrible because one person that their brother's nephew's roomate's forum said so. I run Motorcraft copper plugs now and they are fine as well. That's what I suggest to use.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

01 True Blue v6
to slow to matter

rfcsoulja will become famous soon enough

EGR delete FTW! No special tools needed with the EGR intake though. You just gotta work the angles. Also, disconnecting the tps also helps just a little (kept digging into my arm).
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Premium Member

99 V6 BASE
NEVER RACED THIS ONE

99 BLUE V6 has a spectacular aura about99 BLUE V6 has a spectacular aura about

It is 1/18/10. Posted on 12/03/06 Hope he is done by now.

Last edited by 99 BLUE V6; January 18th, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 2000 Mustang spark plug changing
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil with my spark plug!! HELP caintcatchmyGT 96 - 98 24 November 1st, 2007 01:22 AM
Spark Plug Gap?? smokiebear911 99 - 04 6 July 19th, 2007 12:26 PM
Spark plug gap? 8A_Honda V6 Mustangs 5 July 6th, 2007 02:43 PM
spark plug gap droppedbass87 96 - 98 6 June 4th, 2007 11:40 PM
Spark plug gap???? foxstang 5.0 Mustangs 1 March 3rd, 2007 12:25 AM