How to Repair Curb Rash on Aluminum Lip
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > General Tech > Visual

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (7) Thread Tools
Old June 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM   7 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

2001 V6 Mustang Vert.

mangogirl205 is on a distinguished road

How to Repair Curb Rash on Aluminum Lip

Hi everyone,here is a simple write up on how to repair curb rash on your rims lip. It worked for me so hopefully it works for you too! Please keep in mind that if you mess up your rim from doing this I an not responsible.

Items Needed:

1.Variable Speed Dremel Tool-Walmart
2.400 Grit Sand Paper-Advance Auto
3.1500 Grit Sand Paper-Advance Auto
4.Super Fine Steel Wool-Walmart
5.Blue Painters Tape-Walmart
6.Dremel Accessory Kit-Walmart
7.Mothers Aluminum Polish-Walmart
8.Small Piece of wood-Found in Yard(hehe)

Expect to pay at least $100.00 for ALL your supplies. I did not have any of the above. Total spent $93.64.You may have these items already.

1. Get your curb rash rim/rims and wash them down and dry them off.

2.Take your painters tape and tape off the section that you will be working on so that you do not accidentally sand the nice areas of your rim/lip.The wheel did not have to be removed from car.

3.Using your variable speed dremel tool set it to 5,000 RPM which is at it's lowest speed. Take your grinding accessory tool #952 and grind down the rash and deep gouges the best you can. I used a sweeping action back and forth and then eventually went from right to left following the rash down the rim. DO NOT push down too hard or it will grind too deep into your rim.

4.Take your sanding accessory tool #85422,now you want to try and sand the area the best you can trying to get it as smooth as possible. But at the same time try to angle your dremel to keep it rounded the best you can or you will wind up with a flat spot.

5.Now take the small piece of wood and take your 400 grit sand paper and wrap it around the wood. Now sand even more. I went from left to right following the damage applying a small amount of pressure. Using the block,this will SMOOTH the area out trying to blend it into the rest of the rim.

6.At this point the area should be looking nice and smooth,almost blending into the rest of the rim. Now you want to try and round out the edges of your lip.You don't want to have a flat section. I took the 400 grit sand paper and used my finger.I lightly rounded off the edges because my rim is machined.

7.Now that it is smooth as you can get it and rounded nicely you can take your 1500 grit sand paper and start sanding the area.Use your finger. This will now start to give your rim/lip that polish look.I applied a small but even amount of pressure.I lightly feathered from right to left working my way down the length of the rim.

8.Take your steel wool (super fine) and rub back and forth with a good amount of pressure. This will make your lip shine! Be careful and take your time.Now go ahead and remove the painters tape.

Looking pretty good huh?

9.Alright,were almost done. As you can see the lip is starting to look really nice.It is shiny but you want to buff out any imperfections and make it glossy like when your first bought them.

Get your dremel tool one last time.Grab your cleaning accessory tool #414. Take your mothers polish and apply a small amount on your lip. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I lightly blotched the area. I used medium speed on my dremel tool to work the polish in.

10.Keep on buffing until you are happy with your results!

Finished Product!

Remember always take your time and be patient. Sanding time varies based on how much damage is on your lip. The first rim which was the worst took me an average of 6 hours and was covered in curb rash 65% of the way.The second rim took me almost 3 hours. This was my first attempt ever to repair curb rash. The gouges were deep enough to put the tip of a pen inside. So with that in mind your can repair your Aluminum Lip!

Good Luck!

BBK CAI,K&N FLTR,MAGNAFLOW TRU DUAL EXHAUST,CUSTOM MID PIPES,TB SPACER,MSD IGNITION,MSD 9MM WIRES,17x10 TSW RIMS,FALKEN TIRES 245/F/255/R,MAC HEADERS,3.73 GEARS,EIBACH 2"DROP,TOKICKO

6000KHIDS,CF SPOILER
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Regular

2001 V6 Mustang Vert.

I don't know If I can reply to my own write up but I hope I was clear on the instructions. Sorry there are so many pics or not enough pics,I never intended to make this a write up but so many asked me to so I figured why not. If anyone has any questions or want to know more specific prices on an item or maybe want to tell me what I can adjust in the write up just let me know.

BBK CAI,K&N FLTR,MAGNAFLOW TRU DUAL EXHAUST,CUSTOM MID PIPES,TB SPACER,MSD IGNITION,MSD 9MM WIRES,17x10 TSW RIMS,FALKEN TIRES 245/F/255/R,MAC HEADERS,3.73 GEARS,EIBACH 2"DROP,TOKICKO

6000KHIDS,CF SPOILER
Old June 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Hardcore Enthusiast

2003 Mustang Convertible

GreenShift is a name known to allGreenShift is a name known to allGreenShift is a name known to allGreenShift is a name known to allGreenShift is a name known to allGreenShift is a name known to all

Looks like a good write up! Theres no such thing as too many pics for how-to's lol
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Make my day...N/A

1997 Cobra

Gallows is on a distinguished road

Excellent write up Make sure you pm a mod for the sticky.

1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's.
My build thread - http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ml#post4514265
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #5
Regular

2001 V6 Mustang Vert.

Great! I'm glad you guys liked it. I figured why not share the info. So many people get rid of their rims because of curb rash or think they have to dish out alot of money to get a new rim/s. Also with this,you don't have to pay someone to do it and you get the satisfaction of knowing you can do it yourself. I will get a hold of a moderator and let them know.

Thanks all

6000KHIDS,CF SPOILER
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
M112'd Sixxer

1999 Mustang V6

Fink will become famous soon enoughFink will become famous soon enough

Looks good. Great write up.

I wonder... if you used aluminum jb weld to build up that area, if you could get the same results...

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

Garage:
1999 Mustang V6 M112 4R70W (Elise) Sponsored by Ortiz Performance
2013 Fiat 500 Turbo C510 (Rosso Rocket)
Old June 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Banned

1998 Mustang 3.8l
16.538@84.3MPH

Skargon is a jewel in the roughSkargon is a jewel in the roughSkargon is a jewel in the rough

Good Job Mango! Looks real good.
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Not A Regular Member

McQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant futureMcQueen has a brilliant future

Great job, mango! Reps for a job well done and a nice write up
Old June 27th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #9
Regular

2001 V6 Mustang Vert.

Thanks guys!

About the JB weld, I don't see why not. It can be like a filler and then follow the same steps and voila. My curb rash on the first rim passenger side was really bad. Here is a good visual aid to use. Take a penny and hold it between your thumb and forefinger.Make sure your thumb is over Abe's shoulder. Now stick the penny(Abe's head) into your curb rash.

My curb rash went a little past the top of his *hair. The word "We" was totally covered. Even though it was that deep I was still able to sand it to the point where it just blended in.

And btw, WLJohnson05 said that he would place this as a "sticky".Yay!

6000KHIDS,CF SPOILER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/visual/267850-how-repair-curb-rash-aluminum-lip.html
Posted By For Type Date
How to fix curb rash on polished aluminum rims - 1Q5A This thread Refback August 8th, 2014 11:16 PM
How-To: The Compilation - V6Mustang.com This thread Refback November 4th, 2013 02:13 PM
Almost made it a whole year... - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com This thread Refback April 28th, 2013 11:18 AM
Almost made it a whole year... - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com This thread Refback April 28th, 2013 11:05 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 9th, 2013 02:19 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback October 4th, 2012 10:33 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback October 3rd, 2012 08:52 PM

Threads Similar to: How to Repair Curb Rash on Aluminum Lip
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Curb Rash, plz help mangogirl205 V6 Mustangs 29 July 11th, 2012 06:20 PM
Curb Rash chromestang01 The Clubhouse 5 July 18th, 2009 06:47 PM
fixing curb rash? Willy Mo Visual 16 April 16th, 2009 11:44 AM
Rim with curb rash WAR-PARTY Pictures 0 June 22nd, 2007 01:07 AM
curb rash catchtheroadrunner 2005 - 2010 2 April 3rd, 2007 10:45 PM