Modded Mustang Forums banner

03 cobra wheels...

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sierralx 
#1 ·
Anyone got any recommendations/pics of rim tire setup on 03/04 cobra wheels? I'm currently running 245/45/17 tires all the way around on 17x9 rims and the tire seems too small. looking to replace with bigger sizes in Nitto 555's. What size seems to be best fit for these wheels?

#2 ·
275/40-17 is the standard size for a 17x9. I used to run Nitto 555s for years, and they historically run just a touch on the small size. 275/40-17 555s on a 17x9 will have a sidewall that is pretty much completely vertical with no stretch and no bulge. It looks completely fine.

That being said, I recently swapped over to BFG g-Force Sport Comp 2, and like them a lot more. They look better, are better in the rain, just as good or better on dry road, and so far seem to be holding up better. In the same 275/40-17 size, they run a little bit bigger and have a little bit (not much) of bulge on the same 17x9 wheel. I personally think it looks awesome like that. If I think of it this evening, I'll snap a pic so you can see what they look like. Actually, I still have some Nittos on some wheels also, so I can grab a picture of those, too.

#3 ·
You need to go to the 275/40/17 . Thats what I run on my Cobra wheels with some Nitto NT05 when I am out on the track. Nitto is coming out with the NT555 G2 very soon that should be a much better daily tire than the original ones, so you might want to wait. Where do you plan on buying your tires from? I am currently running a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s on my Saleen wheels and I am extremely happy with them. Also you probably would be happy with some Cooper Zeon RS3-S. My buddy has a set on his GTO and they perform way better than I would have expected.

#4 ·
Best price I can find on the Nitto 555's are at discount tire. Shipped to their local store and mounted is about $650 out the door. I'm thinking about just selling the polished cobras I have though, and go though LMR and get a wheel/tire package. They have chrome sets and 10.5 rears mounted to 555's to your door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.