Need help with major problem - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old March 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Need help with major problem

I've got an 89 2.3L LX. When I start the car cold, the engine idles up like normal if not a little higher than normal and I put it in drive and go. Now usually after I come to a stop two or more times, the idle will be idling normally and then suddenly, it will drop to about 400 rpms and start "chugging" when I give it gas to resume driving again, it misses something terrible unless I rev it way up and then it will smooth out above 3500 or so but if I then try to hold the car at a constant rate of speed or slow down to an idle it misses and chugs. Here is the really strange part: If I pull over and put the car in neutral or park and just let it idle for a few minutes, it will usually just as suddenly as it started pop back up to normal idle and drive fine until I have to come to a stop again or bring the rpms way down to almost an idle. Then the whole process starts all over. If I just let the car sit and idle for a long period of time it will do this almost like it is cycling. What it reminds me of is when an AC unit on a car clicks on and puts load on the motor then off and releases load. This is a very frustrating problem as the car runs horrible when it does this and it happens everytime I drive it anywhere. PLEASE HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old March 7th, 2007, 02:46 PM

Sounds a lot like what was happening with my 1990 Stang does it seem like it's losing power when the engine is under load like going uo a hill? the problem with mine was a bad spark plug wire. Check your plugs, and plug wires, if it's turns out to be not either of those 2 things check your fuel system

JD
post #3 of 4 Old March 13th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Regular

sounds like a TPS (throttle position sensor) problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old March 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Send a message via AIM to TurboLX
sounds like its sputtin gas

1988 LX Coupe 2.5L, GT35R, 44mm WG, 32psi, C16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page