2.3 Turbo RWD Probe - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old March 15th, 2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

2.3 Turbo RWD Probe

hi guys newbie here, im on the crazy idea of transfering the whole drivetrain from a 88 TC to a 96 Probe, i know is crazy but it can be done, i have a 88 GT chassis that i saved from been thrown away guessing it would help me to do my frankenstein as my dad calls it
any ideas or suggestions will be apreciatted... will it be better to just put the probes body on the mustang floor or just make the tunnel in the probe?? thank you for your time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old March 15th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Send a message via AIM to TurboLX
crap.....cant delete
next post

1988 LX Coupe 2.5L, GT35R, 44mm WG, 32psi, C16.
post #3 of 6 Old March 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM

well that would most likely result in a major mod. or another stang to the junkyard...a 2.3 should fit in the probe with minor mods, there is a guy with an 86' ecort and that has a 2.3 turbo and its FWD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old March 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Priest of the Car Gods

I think that you're in for a LOT of work. I'm not suggesting against it, certainly, but you're gonna have to figure out how to make a chassis not designed to have any thing past the engine compartment now hold a transmission, and you're going to have to totally redesign the rear suspension. Are you going to go straight-axle or IRS? If you go with the live axle, are you going leaf or coil springs? 3, 4, or 5 link? The list really goes on.

I would think that your best bet is to look at this from the kit car point of view, and build yourself a rwd chassis that's designed to take the probe body. Then you can do whatever the hell you want, including going MR. With that light turbo motor running in the back and a Probe body, you would have just about the ultimate sleeper, especially in the corners.

If you just want a RWD 2.3L Turbo car, I'd go rescue a lonely 2.3L Mustang to do the swap into. It'll be a LOT easier, and the chassis is designed for it.

Function > Form, always
post #5 of 6 Old March 17th, 2007, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

my goal is an ultimate sleeper i was trying to build a proSHObe putting the SHO drivetrain into the Probe but FWD is not the best thing dealing with cv joints and stuff then i got my stang and im all the way RWD i also have a good straight 4 banger is an 91 stang but as i told you i want to make my lil rocket i guess ill stick to the design of the mustang suspension the donnor car had alot of rust the suspension one (stang) and the TC i'm gettin it for 400 bucks the probe body got it for 100 bucks so i guess the next money spent wont leave my budget empty (guess so) well when my GT is finished h/c/i the whole attention will go to the Probe TC wish me luck
open for more suggestions just not the "it cant be done"
post #6 of 6 Old March 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM

id rather do CV joints then takin a year to make a mustang chassis fit on a probe, just not worth it...turbo the motor thats in the probe now, or make the 2.3 fit in the probe...or if you want sleeper, use a Ranger or the mustang and keep it raddy lookin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page