svo questions! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old March 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Regular

svo questions!

There is an 86 svo for sale around here and im thinking about maybe buying it as a daily driver. My questions are what kinda mpg do these things get, how reliable are they and, what are things to look out for when looking at one? thanks for any input!

( I googled svo mpg and 2.3t mpg and really didnt get any strait forward answers anf the mpg site i usually use did not have the svo or turbo coupe in its database)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old March 26th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Most people don't buy Mustang SVO's because of their reliability or gas mileage, but because they represent a unique, limited production car, which at its introduction to the market, was certainly at the cutting edge.

2.3 turbo engines and drive trains are extremely rugged and can easily withstand HP levels at over twice the factory figure. The have forged rods and pistons and use a valve material, which can withstand high temperatures. They are fairly easy to diagnose and repair and parts availability is as good as you will find for a 1986 model car. Realistically, you can squeeze over 20 MPG out of one in combined city/highway driving.

Having stated this, I would never destroy this car by using it as a daily driver!

Mustang SVO's will be very valuable someday and driving one into the ground on a daily commute would be a ridiculous waste. If you buy it, treasure it, maintain it and keep it as an investment. The rest of us 2.3 Mustang junkies will look at it in envy and you will own a unique piece of American automotive history. If you are looking for an economy car, there are far better choices out there.

TVS Supercharged SVO 2.7L

528 HP
561 ft lb
post #3 of 7 Old March 26th, 2011, 07:50 PM
MM Fanatic

I would be excited to find a smooth running SVO to drive every day. I think they are a fun to drive and would have a great time every day. The way my car runs and is set up now it is a little too uncomfortable to drive daily, and that is the only thing I regret about how I've built it. I say if the car runs smooth and it's the right price then buy it up and have fun with it every day. Don't just drive it to get fair fuel mileage from it, but drive it daily to have a unique car that is a blast to drive!

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old March 26th, 2011, 07:51 PM
MM Fanatic

I would be excited to find a smooth running SVO to drive every day. I think they are a fun to drive and would have a great time every day. The way my car runs and is set up now it is a little too uncomfortable to drive daily, and that is the only thing I regret about how I've built it. I say if the car runs smooth and it's the right price then buy it up and have fun with it every day. Don't just drive it to get fair fuel mileage from it, but drive it daily to have a unique car that is a blast to drive!

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #5 of 7 Old March 26th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Doc

Tell ya what.. buy that SVO a boost controller for $60 and it will give your Cobra a run for its money right out the box, and still catch 20+ mpg.

SVO's are rare and should not be DD's. My 86 is only on the road when I test drive her after installing a new performance part. lol

post #6 of 7 Old March 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Regular

how much is he wanting for it?
post #7 of 7 Old April 1st, 2011, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Regular

It was $5500 it was really clean from the pics but, it was sold before I got to see it in person. I was really disappointed since, I have never actually seen a svo not even at a car show.I guess I have a different outlook on things than most people because If I owned a rare car I would drive it as much as I could because, I feel cars are meant to be driven not cooped up in the garage most of its life. The guy that was selling it said that it was his daily driver for the last 5 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page