Turbo Kit? SSAutoChrome? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Turbo Kit? SSAutoChrome?

So dad and i were just looking random stuff up and come across this website that sell's

"T3/T4 FULL Turbo Kit - FORD 2.3L RANGER / Turbo Coupe

_YOU GET_

_MANIFOLD - STAINLESS STEEL TOP CENTER MOUNT
TURBO - T3/T4 HYBRID T04E T70 V-BAND POWER
WASTEGATE 38MM BRAND NEW
FLANGES and GASKETS
FLANGE FOR BOV
FLANGE KIT FOR WASTEGATE
OIL LINE - BRAIDED AND TESTED
OIL DRAIN FITTING
10 VARIOUS TURBO FITTINGS / BARBS
HOSE / CLAMP / TBAR"

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1716

thought i had hit the Jack pot for only $579.99.

But then i read reviews.
Why you dont buy SSAUTOCHROME - HondaCivicForum.com

SSAutochrome Ebay Turbo Kits *NOT GARRETT TURBOS* - Nissan 240SX Forums

THIS IS WHY YOU DONT BUY SS AUTOCHROME - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

have any of you guys heard of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Yes, I have bought a couple of items from them, but I don't think that is what you are looking for necessarily. Long before you look at that kind of stuff, you might want to explore what it takes to make your power/ performance goals.

TVS Supercharged SVO 2.7L

528 HP
561 ft lb
post #3 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC230 View Post
Yes, I have bought a couple of items from them, but I don't think that is what you are looking for necessarily. Long before you look at that kind of stuff, you might want to explore what it takes to make your power/ performance goals.
Well right now im just researching. Dads 93 2.3 in his ranger has 455,000 miles all orginal (mostly highway). Only part of the motor thats been opened is the header.

I was thinking after that motor goes dead, if the block is still in good shape, i have a perfect start cause its been weatherd.

Idk yet. I saw the picture of your S/C 2.3. Whats the secret behind getting all that done or is just trial and error. Dad can wrench on anything. So working/fix & Modfying are no problem. We just dont know where to start with this Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqOc4K4_SYM

Dad built the engine in this for my uncle. Made about 500RWHP N/A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

Stay away from them. I got the standard placement header for super cheap off someone who changed their mind about installing it. I had to have all mating surfaces planed flat since they were obviously warped. Then I spent the next two weeks chasing leaks and ticking noises only to discover it had cracked on one of the two times I decided to hit boost.

I spent up all my anger porting out an E6 manifold for about 6 hours. Unbolted that piece of crap and bolted the ported E6 in place. Instantly I noticed no more annoying tick noises, the car drove better and had a lot more power.

94 GT convertible - GT40's, F cam, Kenne Bell, Devils Own Meth Injection. (Sold)

86 SVO 9L - Mostly stock - [email protected] (Sold)

New Project - 87 RX7 - 6.0, T56, etc...

New Stang Project - 94 GT Convertible 5.0, 5 speed...Stock
post #5 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to arummel93
I don't trust any cheap no-name kits. I'll stick with making my own kits out of individual pieces which are known good.
post #6 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
That is the exact kit i bought. The welds on the header straps broke. I had to repair them and weld the waste gate flange back on because it vibrated it off when they broke off. Other than that the kit is complete and will only need the header bolts shortened.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #7 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
"I saw the picture of your S/C 2.3. Whats the secret behind getting all that done or is just trial and error."

I did some actual number crunching and statistical modeling before setting out. Based on that info I began a series of tests to see how the 2 systems reacted to one other.

Quote:
We just don't know where to start with this Engine.

I'm sure that once you tear it down, you will have a better idea of what you have to work with. regardless of the power level you are seeking, a good rebuild should be the first order of business. I would say that the block will need to be re-bored after 450K. I would try to stay below .030" oversize on the cylinder bores, if you plan on turbocharging it. It would be wise to have the block re-bored with a torque plate if possible. Dual plug heads aren't the best candidates for a performance engine, so if you are looking for more HP, you might want to go junk yard shopping for a single plug head or put down some $ for an aftermarket performance head.

So what are you looking to do?

TVS Supercharged SVO 2.7L

528 HP
561 ft lb
post #8 of 11 Old December 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel89us View Post
That is the exact kit i bought.
So it would be better to save then buys this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC230 View Post
So what are you looking to do?
Just somthing with mild power. around 200-250HP. I dont want a heavy built engine that is going to want atention all the time and not be effecient on the streets, but rather somthing that when i lay into it, its there and still a calm smooth DD.
post #9 of 11 Old December 10th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to arummel93
You can do that no problem with a 2.3t. No kit needed. A stock 2.3t with an intake and 3" exhaust running 15-20psi will put out 200-250rwhp. Read the FAQ on Stinger Performances page.
post #10 of 11 Old December 10th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Regular

if you need any parts though let me know i have an ABUNDANCE of turbo stuff and its all name brand not "tail wastegates" or "gredy" turbos .. some recent ones if seen. PM if your looking for any turbo parts. but ya never buy no name stuff or "ebay" special unless you full well no the risk your taking.

2013 Black Granite Chevy Spark LS 5-Speed

1979 rattle can 2.3 notchback - Fordstrokers built 408 Swap in work as we speak.
post #11 of 11 Old December 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
I personally like the exhaust, but it is no where near nesessary for the power you want. I would use stock 2.3t parts. The low HP doesnt make enough exhaust pressure to be efficient with the turbo. If you were flowing 400hp worth of exhaust through it it would be worth the investment. If you do buy that kit make sure you specify the spring you want, i didnt and got a 6PSI spring for the waste gate.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page