my 1987 notch thread - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 185 Old January 4th, 2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to quikstang2
Went to pick up Chinese food and it didn't want to go into gear on me a few times, by the end of the street. Turned back and parked it. Noticed where it started puking fluid from earlier today, a couple houses down the street.

Going to spend the rest of tonight researching rebuilds, and probably most of tomorrow harvesting T5 parts at U-Pull-It. Hopefully I find a good one.

2000 Ford Mustang convertible 3.8L 5-speed
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6L 6-speed (daily)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 185 Old January 4th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to arummel93
Mmmmm chinese food :

I mean, that sucks

Check the lines the run to the trans fluid cooler in the radiator, from the pass side of the trans? Possibly a break in that. Front pump pumps fluid through the cooler, back into the trans on top of the internals I believe. If it isn't getting through it may not be lubricating/cooling the trans properly. A4LDs are a massive pain in the ass. I'm absolutely loving the T5 thus far
post #23 of 185 Old January 4th, 2013, 09:54 PM
1993 Mustang LX Hatchback

Send a message via MSN to nickleo0430 Send a message via Yahoo to nickleo0430
wait so did you ever actually get to eat the chinese food??

1993 140 2.3L I4 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback
2006 269 4.3L Vortec V6 Chevy Silverado C1500 2WD SWB
1990 350 5.7L Vortec V8 Chevy Silverado K1500 4WD SWB

Not a cowboy, but no damn city slicker either
Just pure Bama Boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 185 Old January 4th, 2013, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
If you think the Chinese food is good, you should be having some of this Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. It's good to see them do something right for once, but I digress.

Trust me, I miss the T5 in the SVO right now. Hell, I even miss the sloppy M5OD-R1 in the Ranger, which I used to pick up the Chinese. I called/texted a buddy from engineering school that told me he wanted to know any time I'm working on stuff. I was dead set on getting a T5 tomorrow, but I calmed down after a couple brews. I based my decision on whether he could come help pull the T5 tomorrow, and he can't. I'll buy more fluid and order the A4LD rebuild parts, which I'm researching now. He'll come help with that. Since it's my first transmission rebuild, I might call a good mobile mechanic my dad knows of to go through it with our help.

I'll have a look at those lines in the morning. If that's the, or a, problem I will head down to the junkyard for possible good ones and other parts I know I can only get there.

Alright, off to do some reading on the p.o.s. transmissions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickleo0430 View Post
wait so did you ever actually get to eat the chinese food??
You posed while I was replying, and on the phone.
Yes. My parents left my old Ranger while they went up to Orlando for grandpa in the hospital. It'll be my ride until the Mustang is somewhat behaving.

post #25 of 185 Old January 4th, 2013, 10:02 PM
1993 Mustang LX Hatchback

Send a message via MSN to nickleo0430 Send a message via Yahoo to nickleo0430
lol hey i can say the A4LD is a pain in the ass
my reverse and overdrive were going out and then reverse stopped acting up after i threatened my stang and then overdrive went completey out so now the car drives in high rpms constantly because of no overdrive/4th gear

1993 140 2.3L I4 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback
2006 269 4.3L Vortec V6 Chevy Silverado C1500 2WD SWB
1990 350 5.7L Vortec V8 Chevy Silverado K1500 4WD SWB

Not a cowboy, but no damn city slicker either
Just pure Bama Boy
post #26 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Banned

I had one literally set on fire, another turned into a case filled with shrapnel, etc.

Don't have some joe-schmo do an A4LD. Apparently they're also a massive pain in the ass to rebuild and get right. Much more so than most transmissions. I used to have an exploded diagram of the A4LD somewhere.

Rebuild kit can be ordered at advance auto parts for a little over $100...think the part number was KS-63

I know when I was working there the computer always said my 2.3 had an AOD so make sure to get the right one lol.
post #27 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Banned

And quickstang, the IRS I'm selling is located just outside of orlando...something you'd be interested in?
post #28 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I'd say any automatic is a pain in the ass. While it's working normally, it isn't any more annoying than any other automatic I've driven.

I'm reading through the thread on ExplorerForum.com, which I believed is linked to from this site. I'm wondering how much of it I need to do given the 1987 version is older and not computer controlled (from what I've read about it). I'm also wondering how difficult, and worthwhile, it would be to backdate it to a C3 w/o an overdrive. Probably not worth that, but I've had a few... several... to drink tonight.

I don't really need to upgrade the thing... It has been rebuilt before, but I don't know what was done. I'm assuming it was a "soft" rebuild, or it was done improperly, or something else broke afterwards. Summit doesn't sell much for these transmissions, but I found more on Ebay.

I'm really wanting to get EVERYTHING I need before I pull it out of the car and start working on it. I hate not having everything I need when I start a project. But if I don't find everything, my fatass could afford a bike ride to work for a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arummel93 View Post
I had one literally set on fire, another turned into a case filled with shrapnel, etc.

Don't have some joe-schmo do an A4LD. Apparently they're also a massive pain in the ass to rebuild and get right. Much more so than most transmissions. I used to have an exploded diagram of the A4LD somewhere.

Rebuild kit can be ordered at advance auto parts for a little over $100...think the part number was KS-63

I know when I was working there the computer always said my 2.3 had an AOD so make sure to get the right one lol.
Oh, I'm picky about what the computer tells me I need. Thanks for the heads up though. The mobile mechanic I know of is apparently pretty good. He seems to impress my dad. My dad used to be a mechanic and hates just about every shop we've had to use for random things around here.
I am a sucker for diagrams. If you can find that, I'd be truly grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arummel93 View Post
And quickstang, the IRS I'm selling is located just outside of orlando...something you'd be interested in?
You're a damn good salesman. I would be interested in it for the convertible if this rebuild wasn't going to drain my funds. If you still have it after this car is solid, I may send you a message.

post #29 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Banned

It won't be around long at the price it's going for...may be gone by the end of the week in fact.

And apparently the A4LD is more of a pain in the ass to rebuild than most. I am damn good at putting them in though. I once did it in a parking lot in 10F weather...never again if I can help it lol

And I have a trans guy whose been in the business running a local reputable trans shop as well as building race transmissions...I had him do mine on the side. It's got a few goodies inside

He was telling me how everyone hates them because of how much of a pain they are to get right though. And he did get mine right
post #30 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Behold, the A4LD!

P.S. I'm on lunch at work...and we just ordered chinese
post #31 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I can see why it's a pain in the ass. That's more confusing than the car's wiring diagram.

Went to the junkyard today. There was ONE fox body: 1986 5.0 LX convertible. It had nothing for me... I mean the motor/trans would bolt right in the wagon, but I blew that money on the coupe. Did get a few Ranger 2.5L intake pieces I've been needing. I now have a spare, and a couple fuel rails, to upgrade my older 2.3/SVO stuff with. Once that's all together I'll sell the useless K&N horse crap my dad got for the truck.

Thanks for the diagram, enjoy the Chinese!

post #32 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

I rebuilt one of mine with my trans guy. As I'm taking it apart, he's just standing next to me saying holy shit. Apparently that was one of the worst grenaded transmissions he'd ever seen in 30 years in business running a trans shop and building race transmissions. Everything rubber melted, everything steel heated up so hot it lost its temper and started chipping, cracking, and snapping in half, bits of metal shrapnel just falling out everywhere.

Took the explorer 4.0 A4LD which is already stronger, and upgraded the 3 gear aluminium planetaries to 6 gear steels. As my trans guy said, my A4LD became a slightly thicker eggshell.
post #33 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I'd like to have someone more knowledgeable leading me on the rebuild as well. And that "slightly thicker eggshell" is a good way to put what I've heard about upgrading these things. Kinda like the automatics in the 2000 Focuses we had.

I'm going to try and get off easy on this. Dad used to be a mechanic (and he takes the easy way out on everything these days), but his logic was sound on this one. Since it behaved well when it was full, it might not need a rebuild. I bought fluid and front/rear seals for it. That's the plan for tomorrow. If we see anything scary while doing that, then it'll get serious. If nothing looks terrible, I'm hoping it'll hold together while I dig up a T5 and associated swap parts. I need to find some threads specific to this year range on that swap as well. Did a couple searches bu didn't see anything.

And an update on my door locks: Removing the power lock solenoids solved all my problems. Not surprised since I did the same thing on the SVO and convertible. Still gotta find window cranks so I can work on getting the window tracks aligned. Might have to grab generic Doorman ones at AutoZone. They attach a little differently (with a retainer clip). I'm trying not to blow money on an interior fastener kit from LMR, but I'm super OCD about all my screws, clips and other fasteners being matching and proper. If I know ONE is wrong, it'll eat at my sanity.

post #34 of 185 Old January 5th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

I used to be the same way. Then valve taps destroyed my sanity.
post #35 of 185 Old January 6th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
the A4LD is only good for 250 or so HP, even upgraded... They are almost useless.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #36 of 185 Old January 6th, 2013, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Well then, it'll handle what I'm throwing at it... nothing.

Got started late today because I forgot the filter and gasket, and had to pick up the other gaskets. Also had to do an hour of yard work first too. Tomorrow I have to pick up the seal near the linkage, torque converter nuts (always replace) and transmission pan bolts (weren't all the same). There's a few other things I'll have to get and sort out while I'm all up in its business.

I found some decent rot towards the front of the floor pans. :/
We tried track down the steering wiggle, backwards. I think it's up past the rag joint where it bolts to the column coming out of the firewall.

As for the transmission stuff... The fluid looked a little burnt, which could be from it running low on occasion. Pulled the pan off to drain it and there wasn't anything obviously damaged. I didn't notice any metal shavings. It's been more of a pain figuring out what extra stuff I have to remove to get it out, and working with old rusty stuff. I'm going to pull the mid pipe on the exhaust so I can get to the cooling lines, and make dropping it easier.

The starter looks new. Don't know if I mentioned it before but the alternator is new too. He also gave me a couple new parts for the ignition stuff. I wonder if the PO was chasing problems there too. Battery cables would've been a great place to START.

Almost forgot about the serpentine belt. It looks miserable. Going to grab a tensioner pulley at Ford too.

I think that's it for now.

post #37 of 185 Old January 7th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Banned

Drop the midpipe, pull the starter, 2 fluid lines on pass side of trans, undo toque converter bolts, and start pulling the housing to block bolts. The ones on top can be a pain in the ass, get a bunch of extensions with a universal at the end, take the trans crossmember off, and rock the whole motor back. Should be anle to get to it easier that way. Leave a few bolts in finger tight, then take the 4 12mm 12pt bolts out from driveshaft to diff and knock the driveshaft out. Unplug neutral safety switch, unbolt the shifter linkage, pull the speed sensor, pull the vac line off the modulator, and unbolt the bracket that holds the TV pressure line. Once everything is unhooked, pull the last few bolts and slide the trans back and done.
post #38 of 185 Old January 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Like I said, I've only got 1 more bellhousing bolt, the 2 front mid pipe bolts, the two cooling line fittings left and the two cross member bolts left.
The top bell housing bolts were easy. Do the passenger side (and the next bolt down on that side) from the top, and do the driver side (and the rest of them) from the bottom.
My dad gave me a tip for dropping the transmission with some sort of gracefulness by using some SS wire to help balance the front end while I lower the rest of it.

EDIT: In case you were wondering, Ford doesn't carry any Parts for these cars. That or I just happened to ask the one dickhead who didn't want to walk 10 yards to grab me some parts. He also asked why I lost my torque converter bolts. I corrected him, again, saying they were nuts and that they should be replaced when removed. Additionally, I'm surprised the ones I had held up as they were reused and are highly worn. He also said they carry no nuts or bolts of any kind, for anything.
Off to AutoZone and Broward Bolt...

Last edited by quikstang2; January 7th, 2013 at 09:32 AM.
post #39 of 185 Old January 7th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Banned

IIRC they were 3/8" @ 24 thread.

What ford parts were you looking to get? I have a few hookups of my own I may be able to call in.

I was never able to get a ratchet in from the top and be able to still get my hand in well enough to break the bolt loose

And a combination wrench always hit shit on mine. I was however able to go in from the top in the junkyard but that was on a T5 (same thing obviously) and I had taken the exhaust manifold and EGR all out so that wasn't in the way. But even with a lift in my backyard I had trouble with that top bolt on the exhaust manifold side. And since I had a lift, I just propped it up with lift stands and lowered it at my leisure. When I replaced the trans again in a parking lot I just wiggled under it, benched it, and had my friend pull the last few bolts.
post #40 of 185 Old January 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Resident Know-it-all

Why are you looking for hydraulic clutch parts? Stangs are cables. Just curious, I probably missed something.

92 coupe, pictured^, coyote power with turbo.
93 coupe, 2.3 turbo 5spd
93 calypso no option coupe, 94 GT, 90 Coupe, 82 coupe, 12 5.0 6spd, 14 gthig gt auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page