my 1987 notch thread - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 185 Old January 7th, 2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to quikstang2
I think I should've stayed quiet on reaching that top bellhousing bolt on the passenger side. My car is missing a few things on that side which may otherwise be in the way. I had to cut off some hose remnants in order to get to the top down tube bolt on the exhaust. The exhaust was exhausting. (Thank you, I'll be here all week.) I'm somewhat pleased to say that only one of the nuts was different. Normally I have to deal with 3 or 4 different sized nuts on the exhaust of these cars. The bracket that holds the pipe to the trans mount was superfluous in length, to say the least, and I think it has been shortened or modified before. Managed to get the cooling lines out without too much of a fight, but ran out of time to get the trans dropped before work. I also want a second person just in case anything gets hung up.

I ended up getting the torque converter nuts, rather some sort of equivalent, at a bolt store. Hopefully they're good enough. They originally came back with some grade 2 nuts, which I rejected.
I ordered the replacement accessory belt and tensioner pulley at AutoZone. Damn near $100 for that crap. I'm going to have a good look at the pulley when it's apart. If that thing isn't bad (dad looked at it), the new part is going back.
Once again I forgot the o-ring or seal or whatever seals the hole where the gear selector attaches.

This $1,400 car is easily $2,500 at this point... still less than the other options I was looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
Why are you looking for hydraulic clutch parts? Stangs are cables. Just curious, I probably missed something.
Because it's an unnecessary, yet bolt in, upgrade from later TurboCoupes, I don't have ANY of the cable related parts, and I'm a glutton for punishment.

2000 Ford Mustang convertible 3.8L 5-speed
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6L 6-speed (daily)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 185 Old January 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to arummel93
Never been a particular fan of the hydraulic clutches myself. I have an '88 turbocoupe around here for parts, could prob rip that all out for ya if you'd like.
post #43 of 185 Old January 8th, 2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I'm definitely interested in that once I can save up cash after this A4LD gets sorted. All my hydro clutch parts are a bit scattered at the moment. I'm not even sure what I have... bellhousing and a couple lines for sure... nothing "inside" the bell or pedals or anything else that I can think of. I may have started collecting those parts when I wanted to do a T5 swap in the Ranger, which has a hydraulic clutch. Turned out to not be worth it, but I'd like to have something a little different in a Mustang, and it's a lot more forgiving on a daily driver in traffic than my SVO with a stage 2 clutch is.

At any rate, this A4LD is trying my patience. I think I finally got all the parts I need, plus other stuff the car needs. Apparently serpentine belts and tensioner pulleys are worth their weight in gold. Got some help getting the trans out tonight. Dad suspects that the snout on the torque converter was turned down too much so the front seal can't seal. I've gotta call around for a trans shop that has another one of these torque converters so I can compare/measure them. Not real sure what I'm going to do from there.

One small piece of metal drained out of the fluid in the torque converter, but everything else looks clean.

Does anyone know how to remove the gear selector shaft? I need to replace that seal too. I'm beginning to fear there's a bolt or retaining clip on the inside somewhere. I'm not taking this thing that far apart at this point, so it'll drip if I have to let it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 185 Old January 8th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Banned

I may have a torque converter sitting around in my shed still. I'd have to talk to my parents to get into it to check though (and we don't really talk).

However, I do have a new torque converter on my '93 still with the new A4LD. The guy who may be buying it is going to take the t5 with it I think, which means I can have that back. If you can wait, I think I can make that happen. Not sure how the torque converter can be messed up unless you don't ride it up on all 3 parts of the shaft, thus crushing the front pump when you try to force pull the trans and motor together. I usually just spin and wiggle until it rides up all 3 seats, never had a problem with that.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the gear selector shaft, but duct tape and rtv can do wonderful things

Here's the belly of my bitch

post #45 of 185 Old January 8th, 2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I think the last time the transmission was worked on (before I had it) they removed too much material from the snout of the torque converter. That means it is too small in diameter for the seal to actually seal it up. If I can find another one, I can compare measurements to see if this is true. Otherwise, I do not see any other damage and have no idea why these seals don't fit it properly.

post #46 of 185 Old January 8th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Banned

Why would you not just replace it...god people are stupid. I got mine brand new for like $100

post #47 of 185 Old January 8th, 2013, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I had no idea how much they cost. My dad made it seem like replacing it is not an option for some reason. I don't know what his deal is, I'm buying whatever the fix is.

I dropped it off at one of the Google recommended transmission shops. They're going to have their parts supplier measure it against a good one. If it's bad for sure, I'll buy a new one. I really need to get this car rolling. The family was down one car, hence I got this one that is down, and my brother just wrecked his truck tonight, so we're down two cars at the moment. Once this pile of crap is rolling, we'll be back up to three.

post #48 of 185 Old January 8th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Banned

I got mine for $100, most of you would prob pay $150.

I won't put in a rebuilt trans without a new TC.
post #49 of 185 Old January 9th, 2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
That's good to know on the price.

I probably wouldn't either, but whoever did work on this car before reused a lot of parts they shouldn't have.

Still waiting on the transmission shop to give me the verdict...

post #50 of 185 Old January 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Banned

I also just bought mine through my transmission shop (at their cost ) so it wasn't like it's a really nice Ford Racing one or anything. But it seemed like a good solid unit, and if they trust it for their business then I'll trust it.
post #51 of 185 Old January 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I called today and the verdict was: "You're converter is screwed man."

I went to pick it up and he asked if I had the front seal and pump bushing. I didn't have the bushing. Another guy walked in the office for something and asked if I had the alignment tool... Long story short, I'm dropping it off there tomorrow with all the crap I've bought for it. If I don't get that bushing aligned right, it'll mangle the new converter just like this one was.

So while they're taking care of the transmission, I'll be wrenching on all the other things I found wrong with it.

EDIT: Dropped it off to get worked on this morning. Between carrying it around and transporting it, a bunch of debris must have jostled loose. When they guy opened it back up, there was clutch material galore. I feared this would happen given how dark the fluid was when I drained it. Also, in direct sunlight yesterday the fluid had a highly metallic tint to it. So that's a bunch more cash out the window, but they will be doing a couple little upgrades on it and have a warranty. I have to clean out the lines on the car, install it and then drive it back for them to double check. Hopefully nothing else massive goes on it any time soon...

Last edited by quikstang2; January 10th, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
post #52 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Picked up the transmission a little bit ago. They kept a box of the old internals to show me. That thing was beyond screwed. I barely had the money to spend on it, but it was damn well spent.

post #53 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
a rebuild is always worth it in my eyes.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #54 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Resident Know-it-all

How much was the total cost on the trans and converter?

92 coupe, pictured^, coyote power with turbo.
93 coupe, 2.3 turbo 5spd
93 calypso no option coupe, 94 GT, 90 Coupe, 82 coupe, 12 5.0 6spd, 14 gthig gt auto.
post #55 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

I got trans and converter for $400 all said and done
post #56 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
It was $1,128 with a warranty, upgrades and tax. Sure, I could've grabbed another A4LD to stuff in it, but I've have no idea if it was bad either. I don't know that the T5 I have is any good or not. The seller says it is, but he could be full of crap and he knew I wasn't going to pull it apart right there when I bought it.

I honestly thought my transmission was in good shape. It shifted and behaved fine when it had fluid in it. That turned out to not be the case when it was pulled apart.

post #57 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

I wasn't willing to spend that much. Was planning on ripping it out for the T5 ASAP
post #58 of 185 Old January 11th, 2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I'm more concerned with getting a reliable daily driver at the moment. Once I have a solid, legitimate job and another car I can rely on, then I'll start the T5 swap.

post #59 of 185 Old January 12th, 2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
So apparently there is some sort of spacer that goes between the torque converter and the fly wheel. The transmission shop said to check mine for cracks, if it was still there at all, and get one from Ford. Checked at Ford and they don't have the option to even look up a 1987 vehicle, or a 1998 vehicle. Parts guy said to try Bennett or a local Mustang shop (Mustang Specialties).

I'm more interested in getting the dimensions off this part and having one machined.

If anyone knows where to find one, I'd appreciate the help.

post #60 of 185 Old January 12th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Banned

Flexplate on an auto, not that anyone cares. And wha? I don't recall anything like that, and my first one had 97k miles when I got it and was still all original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page