Looking at possibly adding an SVO to the family - Page 7 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 199 Old February 7th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to arummel93
IIRC the filter is on the passenger side next to the external fuel pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 199 Old February 12th, 2013, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

TOTALLY non-related. I hate to ask this because I know it may make some svo lovers sore but.. what all is needed from an 87-93 GT to convert the exterior to a later model? I was thinking headlight panel, front bumper, side skirts, and hood but I heard the SVO fenders are different.

I'll be saving all the svo parts if I want it to go back to stock.. but I think with the wear and tear of dailying it will be easier to replace GT parts.. and look a little better.

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
post #123 of 199 Old February 13th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Banned

I don't know much about the SVO front clips. I'd personally let it stay representative of SVOs. They're rare, let it have it's pride. You'd have to paint a GT front end anyway. I'd leave it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 199 Old February 13th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Enthusiast

It kind of defeats the purpose of having an SVO. But the stuff would bolt up.

94 GT convertible - GT40's, F cam, Kenne Bell, Devils Own Meth Injection. (Sold)

86 SVO 9L - Mostly stock - [email protected] (Sold)

New Project - 87 RX7 - 6.0, T56, etc...

New Stang Project - 94 GT Convertible 5.0, 5 speed...Stock
post #125 of 199 Old February 18th, 2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

yeah I'm not going to do that, but I was toying with the idea because I liked the 93 GT hatch look ever since I saw one. The svo look is still growing on me. I've did the tune up, it just needs a filter.. it runs fine when warm.. but temps below 35 in the morning the clutch chatters giving me the driveability problems. It goes away when warm. Otherwise it's been a blast.

Patiently waiting for spring here so I can buff the paint and get a little gloss. Yah know what has gone through my mind though? Swapping in an IRS in the far future. It handles so well the IRS would be a huge cherry on top. I think I've seen/heard of people doing that. Would give me a chance to clean up the underside of the car. Speaking of. If I ever pull the motor I need to clean down there.. it's so dirty.

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
post #126 of 199 Old February 18th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

There are quite a few guys who have IRS swapped the SVO.

94 GT convertible - GT40's, F cam, Kenne Bell, Devils Own Meth Injection. (Sold)

post #127 of 199 Old February 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

And I love it. Plan on doing it in my '90.
post #128 of 199 Old February 27th, 2013, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

keep me updated on that

Gave it some love and gave it a bath. Changed a tail light bulb AND dropped her off for inspection!

post #129 of 199 Old February 27th, 2013, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

craigslist find..

4 cylinder 2.3 mustang engine

$50.....

post #130 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Banned

Had an intake, bet it was abused. Not worth much anyway, unless you want to use the small main block to put a 2.5 crank in and make a stroker, and maybe a few other odds and ends.
post #131 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

well just about all is on hold until I get this thing to pass inspection

rear brakes aren't working
fuel tank leak in two places (fuel neck grommet and sending unit)
brake lines are leaking
engine won't get out of its own way still

sigh

not sure what to do. Got quoted at a mustang place.. owner had an svo, $1500 for brakes alone including labor. Guess I'm doing it myself...

post #132 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Re: Looking at possibly adding an SVO to the family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito2v View Post
Good advice. At this point it actually could need one. There's a small bit of rust on some of the body parts that can be sanded, bonded and painted over. But nothing that needs dire attention. I could correct the paint but I'm not seeing an ounce of gloss in the paint to think that a clear coat exists on it still, lol

I'll have to polish it and see what happens. If the pad becomes red we know the clear is gone. xD Considering ford used a clear coat on this paint. Could always be a 1 step paint which could allow me to shine it up.

the mgw would be a good buy, thanks and yeah a t5

as much as I'd love to drop that amount of money, I want to keep a majority of mod money for the GT. The main reason I bought this car was to have a daily driver that would be unique, fun and that allowed me to park my GT to keep in tip top shape.

Maybe in the future I'll up boost but for now I want to give it a tune up and see what happens.
This may be a little late but those old mustangs don't have clear coats... I thought. Just paint. Some m105 will make it look 99% better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

SLP Catback with Bassani Mufflers - C & L Elbow - SR 70mm Throttle Body - Steeda Sport Springs
post #133 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

The rear calipers are a common issue. I picked up a reman'd pair from Autozone a few years ago. Price was reasonable, just had a high core charge. Took it to a local shop who swapped them for $50. Everything said and done for under $200.

post #134 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79'293stang View Post
The rear calipers are a common issue. I picked up a reman'd pair from Autozone a few years ago. Price was reasonable, just had a high core charge. Took it to a local shop who swapped them for $50. Everything said and done for under $200.
Sadly it's not just the calipers the lines near the front fender that go to the master cylinder are corroded. The master cylinder may also need to be replaced they told me.

I got to look around the mustang place and they had tons of scrap mustangs. Got to pull a turn signal stalk from an 84 they had there, and they let me have it for free.

The mechanic who looked over my car took the time to walk me through everything he found. He shed a lot of light on the car. I'm putting her down for now and when spring break comes I'll install everything. Got a big order going on LRS right now. Not sure if I should look for used GT brakes for the rear or not. Think they're the same.

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDs01MGGT View Post
This may be a little late but those old mustangs don't have clear coats... I thought. Just paint. Some m105 will make it look 99% better

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Really? That could be great news.

post #135 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Enthusiast

GT Brakes are not the same.

1800 is way steep for the work needed. You can get all new lines for less than $200, around $100 for new rear calipers, master cylinder is not much either. I bet you could do everything yourself for under $500.

post #136 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Yeah, it won't be that much. He wanted 1500 actually but still 3x what I was willing to pay. Any part recommendations to swap out while I'm at it would be helpful. I've got 94-04 GT brakes in my cart because that's what is used on the svo I believe. I'll call LRS. but they're 280 for a pair. :/

post #137 of 199 Old February 28th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Enthusiast

94-04 Brakes are not used on the SVO. The brakes are from a Mark VII.

Guys have swapped out to the newer style brakes however. You will need the 94-95 spindles, and preferably 99+ PBR calipers and lines to justify the swap otherwise the 94-98 calipers are not an improvement. This will enable more wheel choices since the newer spindles do not have such a large footprint.

Back brakes are better than what the newer models have to offer unless you are swapping to the Cobra style, but you would need to figure out the EBrake. Your best bet is to use stock replacement calipers out back.

post #138 of 199 Old March 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Really? That could be great news.[/QUOTE]

yeah my neighbor has a 91 red fox, if i polish it with m105 my pad will turn red... so your good man, should be able to get alot of oxidation out since there is no clear, youll probably be able to make it look almost brand new

SLP Catback with Bassani Mufflers - C & L Elbow - SR 70mm Throttle Body - Steeda Sport Springs
post #139 of 199 Old March 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79'293stang View Post
94-04 Brakes are not used on the SVO. The brakes are from a Mark VII.

Guys have swapped out to the newer style brakes however. You will need the 94-95 spindles, and preferably 99+ PBR calipers and lines to justify the swap otherwise the 94-98 calipers are not an improvement. This will enable more wheel choices since the newer spindles do not have such a large footprint.

Back brakes are better than what the newer models have to offer unless you are swapping to the Cobra style, but you would need to figure out the EBrake. Your best bet is to use stock replacement calipers out back.
Sorry, I missed you saying the brakes aren't the same. This is good because the ones I need might be cheaper.

Autopartswarehouse says these fit the SVO but what do you think?

A1 Cardone 18-4231 Friction Choice Brake Caliper | Auto Parts
Warehouse

or..

http://www.cjponyparts.com/brake-cal...93-5-0/p/BC5L/

The ones from CJPP don't say if they are for the front or back. I assume they're the same all the way around?

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDs01MGGT View Post
Really? That could be great news.
yeah my neighbor has a 91 red fox, if i polish it with m105 my pad will turn red... so your good man, should be able to get alot of oxidation out since there is no clear, youll probably be able to make it look almost brand new [/QUOTE]

thanks, I am going to try a panel next fair weather day

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Oh yeah, when I drop the tank, what's a good fuel pump to go with so I'm set for life and never have to drop it again? 255lph walbro?

post #140 of 199 Old March 1st, 2013, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast

Those look correct. You do not even need to order the calipers, you can pick them up at a local parts store no problem and have them tomorrow.

That second link is for front, some fox guys upgrade to the SVO style calipers up front.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page