Looking at possibly adding an SVO to the family - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 199 Old January 4th, 2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Looking at possibly adding an SVO to the family

Never been to this little area of the forums but I expect there are some knowlegeable people here who know what they're talking about or could lend me a hand or some wise words.

I've had my car for a year and half now and I rather have something else to drive around daily. What better than a fox, let alone an svo? I saw one on CL, here's the ad:

1984 MUSTANG SVO for Sale

The guy emailed me today and said it was still available and he'd be willing to show it to me this weekend. He sounds negotiable as long as cash is involved. It looks clean except for the paint which isn't a problem since it's a daily and I can correct it.

What do you think? What should i ask or look out for? I'm rusty driving manual so any tips would be well appreciated. Expect rep+ in return. Thanks guys

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 Old January 4th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Priest of the Car Gods

Looks to be in good shape, I'd go for it.

I didn't realize that '84 had an intercooler, though, I thought that wasn't until '85 or '86.

Function > Form, always
post #3 of 199 Old January 4th, 2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

SVO Club of America Website

Good info here, so it appears they did come intercooled. My friend told me to go with cash and offer $2000 and see how he reacts. I'll see how it drives of course and sounds.

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 199 Old January 5th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to arummel93
Holy shit. Doitdoitdoit. I rarely see them under $4k here unless they're piles of shit.
post #5 of 199 Old January 5th, 2013, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

I texted the guy and told him i could do either morning. He's probably asleep though so Sunday it's a go. Really want this!

post #6 of 199 Old January 5th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

Check the undercarriage for any rust since it was a DD. Also make sure it has all of the SVO specific parts. Missing parts = Lots of money. Only place to find some parts is off another one and they go quick.

Here are a couple forums that will help you quite a bit if you buy. www.turboford.org www.svocop.com

94 GT convertible - GT40's, F cam, Kenne Bell, Devils Own Meth Injection. (Sold)

86 SVO 9L - Mostly stock - [email protected] (Sold)

New Project - 87 RX7 - 6.0, T56, etc...

New Stang Project - 94 GT Convertible 5.0, 5 speed...Stock
post #7 of 199 Old January 5th, 2013, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

noted and repped thank you. No updates. Guy has been hard to get a hold of. May have to call him tomorrow mornin

post #8 of 199 Old January 7th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Banned

Or just stay here...I at least have my fingers throughout the 2.3 community and I'm willing to share info.

Also try Stinger Performances' forum.
post #9 of 199 Old January 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

So I checked the car out. It's mine for $2400.

Paint CAN be restored with lots of work, without being repainted. That's a plus.
Tires look good
Motor looks clean. Though oil was sitting around the cap and I questioned it.
Drives fine, he told me when he replaced the starter himself it made a clicking/rattling noise every once in a while
A bit of rust on the side skirt - hard to see
Timing belt went before he got the car but it was replaced and the motor has been running great since
Pulls just fine, no smoke or hesitation
Clutch has been changed, not the stock clutch

I know he knew his stuff because this is his 3rd mustang, 2nd SVO (he drove a similar 86 SVO same color to where we met and it was CLEAN) He also owns a 98 s/c cobra.

What do you guys think?

post #10 of 199 Old January 8th, 2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Like I said, it's mine but I'm getting cold feet. Not a huge chunk of change, might be a worthy investment but I can't help but be indecisive. lol

post #11 of 199 Old January 8th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast

Could be a nice car. The oil on the VC may have been from blow by but there is no way of knowing for sure. These cars can be money pits if not chosen correctly but are a lot of fun. Best bet is to keep it stock, modified ones do not pull the same amount of cash on resale.

94 GT convertible - GT40's, F cam, Kenne Bell, Devils Own Meth Injection. (Sold)

post #12 of 199 Old January 8th, 2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Definitely keeping it stock. Most I will do is recondition the exterior and keep it clean. main reason I'm afraid to buy it is that the 2400 could be mod money for the other car.. but it wouldnt do much good because I have to drive the 2v everywhere. It's a comfy car but I want to keep it looking nice. Might be worth getting 2nd ride in that case.

post #13 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Banned

Get it.

You can always do more...subtle mods, and still make it look stock. Port the head, gut the intake, port out the exhaust manifold, and keep stock turbo and intercooler. And at least upgrade to a roller cam, even if it is the stock ranger roller cam (nobody will be able to tell unless they open the motor) and maybe an adjustable FPR and Gillis valve. Add a tune and you could still have some fun with it, and alot of that work can be done yourself to the existing parts. Maybe I'm just a diehard modder, but I just can't bring myself to not modify a mustang. Just can't do it. But you can definately make some extra power and keep it looking like a stock motor. Hell, even if you just throw a little extra boost at it.
post #14 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

You should definitely get it if it checks out. If you want resale value to stay up you will want to make sure anything that you change from stock can be changed back for when you decide to sell it. If you decide to modify anything just buy a second part and set the factory SVO parts off to the side unmolested. Parts are cheap enough in the 2.3 world, but SVO parts usually are not.

post #15 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Picking it up tomorrow

He had all the original parts EVEN the stock headlights which he replaced. He put everything in the trunk with a binder full of service records, etc. He also had the old fuel pump but eh.

I'll have pictures when I get home with ugly betty.

post #16 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 11:24 PM
╚⊙ ⊙╝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito2v View Post
Picking it up tomorrow

He had all the original parts EVEN the stock headlights which he replaced. He put everything in the trunk with a binder full of service records, etc. He also had the old fuel pump but eh.

I'll have pictures when I get home with ugly betty.
looks like its going to be a nice pick up for you

I would like to have one but the only ones ive seen locally people want like 6-10k for them

2000 V6 - Turbo
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
1994 GT - Parting Out
1998 GT - Parting Out

1995 GT - SOLD

Insta :@Southfour6[/CENTER]
post #17 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
looks like its going to be a nice pick up for you

I would like to have one but the only ones ive seen locally people want like 6-10k for them
bet they were in nice shape though!

I was kinda surprised to see this ad when I was looking for parts. I always wanted a fox, but this is a little different and I think it will give me a lot of choice as far as what I want to drive since I have an auto/v8 and now a manual/4-turbo.

I'm mighty rusty on the stick, I hope I retained a lot of the motion since I'll be driving it up the pa turnpike tomorrow morning lol

the idea of being able to keep my car off the road during the winter still hasnt hit me. It's a great feeling and I think for the money the car is a worthy investment. Going to keep it stock mainly, but the paint will be a nice slate for me to practice on.

post #18 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM
╚⊙ ⊙╝

Quote:
bet they were in nice shape though!

I was kinda surprised to see this ad when I was looking for parts. I always wanted a fox, but this is a little different and I think it will give me a lot of choice as far as what I want to drive since I have an auto/v8 and now a manual/4-turbo.

I'm mighty rusty on the stick, I hope I retained a lot of the motion since I'll be driving it up the pa turnpike tomorrow morning lol

the idea of being able to keep my car off the road during the winter still hasnt hit me. It's a great feeling and I think for the money the car is a worthy investment. Going to keep it stock mainly, but the paint will be a nice slate for me to practice on.
i bet you will love the manual, i bought my 5 speed before ever having driven a manual car, my dad took me out for a drive in a manual ford f 450 to see if i liked it

where in PA are you? are you planning on going to the AM show in the summer?

2000 V6 - Turbo
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
1994 GT - Parting Out
1998 GT - Parting Out

1995 GT - SOLD

post #19 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Pays in respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfour! View Post
i bet you will love the manual, i bought my 5 speed before ever having driven a manual car, my dad took me out for a drive in a manual ford f 450 to see if i liked it

where in PA are you? are you planning on going to the AM show in the summer?
same story! I found a v6 mustang I liked and bought it. Friend taught me how to drive it but then I ended up with a GT a year later and haven't driven since June of '11.

I was at the AM show last year so expect me this year so speaking of, were you there last year? I'm in eastern PA, south of Reading. Won't be able to bring both cars but the GT will be there.

post #20 of 199 Old January 9th, 2013, 11:37 PM
╚⊙ ⊙╝

Quote:
same story! I found a v6 mustang I liked and bought it. Friend taught me how to drive it but then I ended up with a GT a year later and haven't driven since June of '11.

I was at the AM show last year so expect me this year so speaking of, were you there last year? I'm in eastern PA, south of Reading. Won't be able to bring both cars but the GT will be there.
its a lot of fun, only time i hate it is in heavy traffic but i can deal with that.

I should be there this year too will be cruising along I70 from Ohio

2000 V6 - Turbo
2005 Tahoe LT - DD
1994 GT - Parting Out
1998 GT - Parting Out

1995 GT - SOLD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page