trying to source a set of underdrive pulleys for 2.3L - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Regular

trying to source a set of underdrive pulleys for 2.3L

well ive been looking around of the forums and on the different proformance part websites out there and i cannot seem to find a set of under drive pulleys for a 92 2.3L mustang.

i have gone through zonkers udp thread multiple times. i have tried to get the local junk yards to pull the pulleys since they wont let anybody but their employees into their salvage yards at all. trust me i have tried... https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ard-style.html

zonkers list for 92 2.3L udp

1991-1993 8 plug head (1 belt setup):
Crank Pulley - stock
Water Pump Pulley - 87-90 2.3 Mustang or 87-88 T-Bird Turbo
Power Steering Pulley - 86-on 3.8 V6 Mustang (and T-bird?)
Alternator Pulley - Asst 86-99 Ford V6 with 2 7/8" OD alternator pulley

sadly i did have some luck at a local salvage yard (well i say local almost 2 towns away but drivable) they would pull the pulleys but wanted almost $250 for their time and the pieces... so i told them they could keep them.

and the only place that i know that i could get the pulleys is almost a 2 hour drive away. so thats out of the question at the moment..

i have even tried to look up the parts on ebay but no luck what so ever.

but i did find these udp's on ebay. but i dont know if they will work or not.
New 2 3 Ford Lightweight Underdrive Pulley Set | eBay

does anybody have any suggestions for a cost effective way to get ahold of an udp set of pulleys?

I'm just full of dust and old car parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old December 4th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
Those eBay pulleys will work, but you will have to measure your belt to get the right size. You really don't want that for a DD though. Your alternator and power steering pump will struggle at low rpms.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #3 of 9 Old December 4th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
You really don't want that for a DD though.
+1 on Mike's advise.

Genie, where are you located? There must be a Pick & Pull or some self service yard out there that you can source parts from.

TVS Supercharged SVO 2.7L

528 HP
561 ft lb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old December 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Regular

joplin missouri. there are about 10 salvage yards in the area. and they either wont get those parts cause they cant make any money off them or they just want way to much money for the parts anyways...

the closest pick and pull yard that i can find is about an hours hard drive sw of joplin, mo almost all the way to tulsa,ok.

i have plans to get the 130 amp 3g alternator upgrade in the future. so the power issue shouldnt be to big of an issue.

post #5 of 9 Old December 5th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

That alt still won't like how slow its going to spin below 2000 rpm. Its 1 1/2 hours to pic a part in Indianapolis for me, but I still make it down there when I need parts. You've gotta look at the cost versus their worth to you. Most times a trip is worth the drive if you can get it all in one trip.

1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
post #6 of 9 Old December 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Regular

mikel89us - i know what you mean. it would be a stretch to try to get over to tulsa,ok from where i live over in jopin,mo. i work odd hours and the usually fall right between where the pick-an-pull yards are opening and closing... i could usually get over there with about 30 minutes till they close but then prolly wouldnt have enough time to get the parts then id be out of luck..

post #7 of 9 Old December 7th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

That sucks, are they open every day? The one here is every day 8a-6p, so it is pretty easy to swing down when ever I can. I never did worry about the udp setup though. The 2.5 crank and rods I threw into my ranger however, that was worth the 5 hours I spent taking them out.

post #8 of 9 Old December 7th, 2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular

sadly no, they are monday to saturday...m-f 9-5, s 9-12. and my schedule has me working pretty much m-sat 7-4 0r 8-5. it doesnt leave me much time at all for much normal business hours lol. i can barely get to the local mustang parts yard 1 city north of me. i usually have to send a parts list with a buddy that goes up to the local parts yards... i miss the thrill of scrounging through the parts yards!

post #9 of 9 Old December 28th, 2013, 01:37 AM

I know where you can get a full Under drive pulley set, Aluminum. But as you might imagine its going to be expensive. Ill be ordering just the water crank and alt pulley from them after I take care of a few other priorities on the Stang. Just those 3 are going to cost me about $400 though but mine will be 1:1 I just want the reduced rotational mass, and I think they are cool :p.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page