Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   2.3 Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2-3-mustangs/)
-   -   2.3L engine block/parts interchange (help!) (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2-3-mustangs/38908-2-3l-engine-block-parts-interchange-help.html)

mustang_mike_2003 October 18th, 2007 07:45 PM

2.3L engine block/parts interchange (help!)

I looked up and down the forums and found nothing about this specific subject. In a nut shell what other 2.3L engines will work as a replacement for another 2.3 out of a different vehicle? I have an 89 LX with a blown 2.3 (single plug per slug, AKA 4 plug) the head and everything else is good so I just need a 2.3 from another ford. Mustangs are slim to none in Alaska but junk vehicles are everywhere for next to nothing. Problem is I donít know what year and make Ford to pick from for a donor 2.3L engine

Here are the questions:
What short block 2.3L engines are compatible with one another by year and make?
What long block 2.3L engines are basically the same by year and make

As this is an attempt for help on making a list for any one else Iíll throw in some rumored information. Please correct me if Iím wrong and throw any other information in that you can

87-90 mustang 2.3L engines are the same as (not sure)
85-88 and or 89 94 ranger.
86-87 Aerostar.
I think 85-88 ranger 2.3 share the same block and head as the 87-90 mustang, and the 89-94 ranger share the same block, but have a different head (8 plug)
Tell me if you know anything. And thanks for helping another stanger find a replacement engine for his 89LX

-cold-machine- October 18th, 2007 08:37 PM

i know for a fact that the 87-90 mustang blocks are the same
Ive owned an 89 and now a 90, my dad had a87, and my old neibour
had an 88. so i was able to compare all and they are identical.
and not just visually. The are the same in ever aspec.

TurboLX October 18th, 2007 10:54 PM

all 2.3 blocks from 1977-1996 will work except the turbo 2.3

MSO October 18th, 2007 11:23 PM

get a 2.5

lol

mustang_mike_2003 October 19th, 2007 01:41 AM

I believe the block design is different in the late 95 and up 2.3 engines. I think that there is no place for the distributer and gear to go. As for the pre 85 motors, I donít think some of the stuff would match up... So that would designate it as a different design, right? For example if you have a mechanical fuel pump, and you buy a block with an electric fuel pump you can SAY its the same, but thatís not true at all because the castings were changed and the place for the mechanical fuel pump would be blocked off for the electric fuel pump motor.
AnywaysÖ If these year engines would (work) then can anyone list the differences? Any technical help would be great. Because in the end I can MAKE any 2.3L engine WORK. Shoot I can make a Honda 2.3 work, its just that I want to know the differences so I can sum up the amount of work required, and lord help me if I wana ....
make it street legal... dun dun duuuun.
I mean I donít want to be swapping PCMís and wiring harnesses. That wouldnít be street legal, and it would require as much work as a 5.0 swap!
Help me guys, I need to keep it cheep and simple, cheeeep and simple!

-TurboLX:
a turbo motor (swap) would require far less work then trying to update and make a 1977 2.3 work in a 89 fuel injected mustang...

-My'StangOpens:
What are the diffrences between a 2.3 and a 2.5? and what years and makes can you find them? and what are the design diffrences between years? what parts are (INTERCHANGEABLE?)

Thanks guys and keep the info coming!!!
And as a reminder Please list DIFFRENCES between block designs that you know of. And if you feel like it throw in any other info that you think applys.

MSO October 19th, 2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang_mike_2003
-My'StangOpens:
What are the diffrences between a 2.3 and a 2.5? and what years and makes can you find them? and what are the design diffrences between years? what parts are (INTERCHANGEABLE?)

the 2.5 is a stroked version of the same engine

its made 98-01 rangers i believe

im not sure which parts are interchangeable, but i kno it has the most advanced head and best rotating assembly so far

you can drop jus the crank/rods/pistons in ur 2.3 if you want.. you'll need small bearings tho (which you can get for like 150)

TurboLX October 19th, 2007 09:52 AM

Like i said before ALL the 2.3 blocks will work from those years, but the 91-96 blocks will not work because of the 8 plug head

i know the 1977-1990 block will work because i have a 90 2.3 N/A from my car in my garage and a 1979 block

and they are identical, as what your trying to say for fuel pumps, thats a completely different story, thats all about the cars electrical and intake setup

and when i did the 2.3T swap, i was able to use the stock wiring harness with an LA9 EEC, then later switched it to mega squirt

You dont realize how many guys are switching from carb to EFI, because it is simple to do, which tells you the blocks are the same

the only difference between the blocks are

The 2.3 turbo which has an oil feedport

the N/A 2.3 has either a Distributor port or an 8 plug head

the 2.5 block is from the ford rangers, a stroked 2.3, has a bigger crank

-cold-machine- October 19th, 2007 09:55 AM

should be easy to do the conversion. take the block and youll just have
do swap out the intake from a EFI motor and slap iton the
Carb version correct?

TurboLX October 19th, 2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -cold-machine-
should be easy to do the conversion. take the block and youll just have
do swap out the intake from a EFI motor and slap iton the
Carb version correct?

yep as well as fuel lines and the complete intake setup

-cold-machine- October 19th, 2007 10:15 AM

if he already has one with EFI he will have everything already.
just needs to drop the block in and bolt everything up..

mustang_mike_2003 October 19th, 2007 02:46 PM

YOU AND YOUR DAM HIP THRUSTING CANADIAN CHICK... I keep having to close the screen every time my wife walks in...lol

TurboLX October 19th, 2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

YOU AND YOUR DAM HIP THRUSTING CANADIAN CHICK... I keep having to close the screen every time my wife walks in...lol

:lmao :lmao :lmao

-cold-machine- October 19th, 2007 03:26 PM

LMFAO That is the funniest thing i heard. and made my day a fuck
of alot better already

mustang_mike_2003 October 20th, 2007 04:40 AM

sweet... I didnt know it was that easy.. Well now all i have to do is hope to find a older block... seems all the rangers in good shape aer 90 and newer... Ill keep you guys posted if I find any other information...

What year did the Mazda B4000 use the 2.3 and am I right about the years the Aerostar used the 2.3?

That Canadian chick must be on crack... Ive watched her all night and she keeps thrusting! she never even stops for water or anything!

TurboLX October 20th, 2007 11:23 AM

The aerostar never had a 2.3 atleast none that i know of

the rangers were 2.5's so if throw that in thats more horsepower because it is a stroked 2.3

im not sure what year the B4000 used the 2.3's either....sorry

mustang_mike_2003 October 21st, 2007 11:22 PM

I'll be damed you were right... I 3was looking at a 1980 Pinto and it was the same!

Oh theres another 1 for the engine doner list. (77 and up pinto's)
The SOB about took off my finger, I'm a master tech making kid mistakes.
I for got that the older fords have external fan blades on the alt. the fan looked invisible because it was running and so yeah hahaha... you can guess I'm not going to be buying that F%$# car... that dam car was like another christien!

TurboLX October 22nd, 2007 01:17 AM

Like i said

Lima 2.3 FTW!

Danedog311 October 27th, 2007 12:03 PM

OK maybe this will be a help to everyone here... When you go to the junkyard they have a big book of DIRECT interchange parts... This book is made by Hollander... if we could only get access to this book.... well actually when i was a frequent visitor of s10forums.com I managed to find this and had a member upload it to his personal site which is http://www.theimportkiller.com/
"we not anti-import we are anti-dumbass" haha funny site but anyway... it's a few megs and you need either adobe pdf, or foxit pdf to read this but it's alot of information and interchangability on just about ALL makes and models... hope it helps someone... http://www.theimportkiller.com/Holla...ion_Manual.pdf

TurboLX October 27th, 2007 02:26 PM

cool man! sweet find!

SAVED!

MSO October 27th, 2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

I'll be damed you were right... I 3was looking at a 1980 Pinto and it was the same!

Oh theres another 1 for the engine doner list. (77 and up pinto's)
The SOB about took off my finger, I'm a master tech making kid mistakes.
I for got that the older fords have external fan blades on the alt. the fan looked invisible because it was running and so yeah hahaha... you can guess I'm not going to be buying that F%$# car... that dam car was like another christien!

wait did you really lose a finger?