ported,polished and shaved head on turbo motor? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old June 12th, 2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular

ported,polished and shaved head on turbo motor?

This weekend im going to pick up my turbo motor and pretty excited! just wondering when future plans of setting it in the vert if I could use my built head without hurting performance..head work that has been done...

Ported,polished
ext valve:1.59"
int valve: 1.89"
shaved:aprox. hundred thousands
ferra stainless steel valves
ranger roller cam for now.

shooting for a LA3 ecm and a big vam when swapped into the car and has the IHI turbo..

As previous post, id like to have a great running daily driver that I can expand with the materials I have and the head was purchased a few years back and figured it would be a great combo for airflow. any input would be accepted and helpful...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old June 12th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Rent Asunder!

It will certainly help performance. The better the motor can flow, the less boost that's required for a desired amount of airflow, more power that's made, and cooler IATs as well. Keep a stock cam or near stock cam in it.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #3 of 8 Old June 12th, 2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular

figured id stick with the ranger cam for awhile.. couldn't pass up the deal on the head then or the motor now. figured it would be a good change to have a little faster ride since ive owned this thing since I was 18.. will I need a tuner also since the head has work and don't know if the La3 would have the perameters to run right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old September 12th, 2014, 08:43 PM

How is this bad boy running?
post #5 of 8 Old September 13th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
It will work, the vam measures incoming air, so it will compensate for the little extra air that comes in. The shaving will be an awesome upgrade too, you're going to want a good head gasket, an MLS is best. The extra compression will give you better throttle response as well as a quicker spool from the turbo, plus a bit better fuel mileage too.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #6 of 8 Old September 14th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Pictures???

TVS Supercharged SVO 2.7L

528 HP
561 ft lb
post #7 of 8 Old September 14th, 2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

First turbo block I got was gunna be a waste of money for me to change pistons so I bought another one and in the process of rebuilding the whole thing..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 8 Old September 15th, 2014, 01:04 PM
RAT FINK

I spent a little time doing some porting on the head on the engine I built for my old turbo 2.3 and it was definitely worth it. A ported head + bob's log (or similar manifold) + whatever turbo you want + bob's 3" elbow make for AWESOME spool times. I just had stock valves but I got a valve job and polished the chambers. Also ran a motorsport A237, I know people say it's not the best for turbo cars but mine felt stronger with it than the ranger cam.

I was running a 57 trim hybrid with a .63 Stage III turbine, which I had heard people complain took forever to spool. With the above work it spooled like a stock T3.

I especially saw a big decrease in spool time just going from the factory exhaust elbow to Bob's 3" elbow, that helps a lot.

2005 Mustang GT
CMS Stage 1 cams, Lito Tune, C&L Racer, CMDP, SR UDP, JBA LT's & catted H, FRPP Touring AB, Koni STR.T, BMR springs, J&M upper/mount, BMR lowers & brackets, J&M pb, Steeda Tri-Ax, Brembos
2009 Ranger XL SCab-4.0, auto, 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page