Revive the 1984 convertible? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old September 1st, 2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to quikstang2
I haven't heard of that stuff. I was going to use POR15, but I'll check that out too.

The MM subframe connectors were welded in at the same race shop that put the S&W cage in it, at the same time. I never got to see the difference with just the connectors. All I know is the original weak 3.8L used to twist that flimsy tin can of a chassis just going from park to reverse. I'm not surprised the floor pan is the weak link, given they all seem to crack right behind the driver seat, and there's no structure there to begin with. The engineer in me wants to have a full length square tube frame made up to replace the flimsy unibody crap.

When I get the skills/tools, the other things I wanted to do will help tie the body together a little more. For now, I've got enough work to do just getting the thing running again.

2000 Ford Mustang convertible 3.8L 5-speed
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6L 6-speed (daily)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:12 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
For now, I've got enough work to do just getting the thing running again.

I hear you on that.

TVS Supercharged SVO 2.7L

528 HP
561 ft lb
post #23 of 31 Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:10 AM
Regular

good luck! keep it up!

I'm just full of dust and old car parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
So the truck I had bought to cut up for parts... I might end up getting the title for it, if the lady can find it, and not cut it up. Works out better for me that way with the change in life plans.

Not too big of an issue. I wouldn't mind putting a carb'ed 2.0/2.3L in it with the T5 stuff I have, if I can find a motor. I've also got an AOD in the LTD (not extatic about an auto) and a 400 SBF that my brother will give me. So there are options. I've still got to get the body cleaned up first anyway.

post #25 of 31 Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I don't think that old lady wants to find the title for the truck. Back to sticking its guts into the Rustang. I finally remembered to bring a wrench while I was out where it's being stored. I pulled the tag and can read all but one digit.
?GX S 4C26
2 73 M75S2750
So looks like a 2.73 gear in a 7.5" rear. I don't know what the rest of it means. That might actually be a good ratio if I can get the ABS exciter ring from the Ranger 4.10 onto it.
post #26 of 31 Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
Don't put a 2.73 in it.. I hate my 3.27, I would go with 3.73 or 4.10

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #27 of 31 Old November 24th, 2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
You mean don't leave the 2.73 in it?
I hate the 4.10 in the Ranger, which weighs a lot more than this stripped down car. Unless I'm hauling more weight than I should be, first gear is almost useless. It could use a higher gear for the highway as well. I was going to swap to a 3.73 in the Ranger via Explorer axle, but someone stole it before I could. (They also stole my 1994-95 Mustang spindles.)

I mean, I could use the Ranger 4.10 in it and do one wheel burnouts everywhere. I won't be racing the car as I initially intended. I've decided to cut the cage out and patch the rust holes it caused. The original 3.8L in the car made about the same power that the 2.5L in the Ranger makes, so it should balance out okay. The final decision on 2.73 vs 4.10 will come down to which is easier to make work in the car.

I was looking at putting a limited slip in it, but if the parts I have work, I'll stick with them. I don't have the funds to spend any more than I absolutely need to in order to put this car together. Getting the differential and sensor sorted out will be enough money on its own. The 2.5L Rangers take all their info through the ABS system, so I have to adapt the Mustang rear to accept the sensor and ring.

I wonder if there's enough room for the exhaust and a shortened aluminum Ranger drive shaft in the tunnel...
Anyways, I have lots of holes to fill and basic body prep work to do before I get into that. I've been having a tough time deciding what I want to do with the car, and what's the most realistic thing to do given my skills and resources.

post #28 of 31 Old March 8th, 2015, 12:45 AM
Regular

I like the way this is headed...

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Lovin the stance too bad that's without springs
post #29 of 31 Old March 30th, 2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I agree on the "springless stance." Maybe I should work some air suspension into the build, so it looks cool while parked.

I've made some decisions that I'll be sticking to. Some of you will be relieved that I am taking your advice after all. And I still have some investigating to do on other things. I have had a lot going on and I like to completely draw up a plan before I start working on it, so thank you for your patience.

1) Transmission
I ended up selling my Ranger, but I still have the parts one. After taking it on some final drives I decided to go with the Mustang T-5 instead of the M5OD from the Ranger. I never trusted the hydraulic clutch after the slave blew out on me once, and I'm no longer capable of bench pressing anywhere near what I used to. (And that was less than the transmission weighs.) Also, the T-5 that I pulled at the junkyard was the variety which bolts to the aluminum oil pan, so the 2.5L should bolt right up. I was able to pull all the pedal, wiring and other bits from that car as well, except for the shifter I think. So that's all Mustang bits and should go into the Mustang easily. It will also allow me to use mechanical gagues whereas the M5OD has no recepticles for such things.

2) Rear end
I may have to spend a day at the junkyard to figure this out. The Ranger VSS is mounted in the rear end and is essentially linked with the ABS module. It looks like all the Mustangs were mounted in the transmission. As far as I can tell, there's no easy way out on this one. I wish it was easier to get under the cars I'll actually be working on... Once the electrical and sensor issues are sorted, I'll make a decision on gearing, and if I need/want another rear end or not. The more I think about it, the more I want both rear wheels to move the car.

3) Wiring
At one point I was putting the Ranger back together just to sell. Turns out the wiring harness has been tinkered with, but I think I can sort it out and then put it in the Mustang. Both the original 1984 harnesses I have are trash. There are a few bits (vacuum and electrical modules) that are missing from the passenger side inner fender well of the truck that I'll have to hunt down and replace as well. This will all be done to get the thing running before I harvest parts for the Mustang. I may end up making a new wiring harness from bits of the Mustang ones and the Ranger one.

4) Body
I don't know how, but the trunk hinges, arms and springs have gone missing. I'll need those. For now the car will stay 1984 LX in style. I have no plans to put a roof on it. I need to find a rear seat so I can create a filler panel where the top would normally retract into. Ideally I could borrow an ASC McLaren panel and have a metal one fabricated and welded on. I'm not sure how I want to address the front windows sealing and such should I decide to put a removable top on it in the future.

5) Interior
Looks like my best option is 1994-2004 front seats. As mentioned, I need a Fox convertible rear seat for it. I would like to recreate the broken original plastic dash and console in metal, and possibly modify some parts as I go.

post #30 of 31 Old April 7th, 2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Gathering info on the rear end for decisions. Looks like my best option is to modify the Ranger rear end. It's not uncommon for the lowrider crowd to shorten the rear on the long side to center the differential. That makes it Fox length. I have to talk to a fabrication shop and see if they can weld on the brackets so it can bolt up to the Mustang 4-link. Currie Enterprises makes a bracket kit for a 9" rear which could be modified to fit.
I was thinking about using just lower brackets from a Fox rear end and the Maximum Motorsports torque arm and panhard bar kits, but they told me the torque arm won't fit on a 7.5" rear. This was also an expensive option, especially considering the other work that needs to be done.
I'll have to see what the fabrication shop wants to do, and how much they'll charge. I also need them to make a trailer axle that's equal length to the Ranger axle at the same time, so I have to save up for both.

post #31 of 31 Old May 1st, 2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Digging up an old thread, because I need something to do with my life, and my yard art. I've been super busy. Hope to get back at it.

The car has... rusted. A lot. Mostly just around where the cage was welded in. I've considered drilling some holes to make it a bolt in, then grinding it out to get the floor metal repaired/replaced. But that's down the road a bit as I need it mobile first.

My neighbor estimated tires, springs, shocks struts and other bits at about $600 to get the car off the bump stops. Not terrible.

Getting it moving under it's own power... I have a junk Ranger with a 2.5L, but the wiring is screwed and I'd have to do heavy modifications to the rear axle for any of that to be useful. The rear end would have to be shortened to Fox length on one side, and then the shock, uppper and lower mounts would have to be welded on. I'm not sure how that would work on the upper mounts since I believe the Fox housings have those cast in place. Aside from that, the truck's PO had an alarm and it looks like a Lo-Jack installed, so all the wiring is screwed. It's probably easier to track down new looms at this point.
Since this car is essentially nothing, I'd like to find a stand alone 8-plug DIS ignition and then carb the 2.5L. That's my next set of hurdles to overcome. It has no gas tank, or anything at all fuel related, so I'd have to source all that as well. Then it's on to purchasing and wrenching.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page