new to the group - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old April 7th, 2015, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
0 to 60 in 3...minutes!

Cool new to the group

hey guys im new to the group and to san diego(from south tx ). i have an 87 stang i plan on doing work on now that i got a little money here and there. i really dont know what route i want to go yet but keeping that 2.3 in there and trying to take it as far as possible sound interesting!!! for starters i just wana get up to 200 hp N/A any ideas where to start? Cam ? idealy id like to get the car as par as possible with the idea of later using those mods for a turbo.

thanks yall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old April 7th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikel89us Send a message via Skype™ to Mikel89us
Welcome! We have a good community here, with a plethora of knowledge.

First and foremost, most of us here applaud you for not swapping in a v8 . Second, 200hp is achievable with a 2.3, however its hard to do that and meet emissions testing standards (I think). A 200hp NA 2.3 requires three things. First a radical cam, second high rpm, third a well built head.

The cam is relative easy, they aren't cheap as a good high rpm/power roller cam costs around $400. This is the same price for roller cams of all profiles as they don't get much more expensive for levels.

The high rpm gets expensive too, but only because a good set of pistons/ring and bearings aren't cheap, plus good machine work. One of the easy ways to get power is to increase displacement which is done in these by increasing the stroke with a new crank. These cost about $2000 each.

The well built head will also cost a bit, but if you have it all done at once by a company like easlinger and bo-port can save you some money because they will sell you a built head with the cam and all valvetrain installed.

My suggestion is you check out your options as best you can before starting anything. Www.bo-port.com and Welcome to Esslinger Engineering are two excellent starting points.

Also race engineering sells an aftermarket cast iron head that performs nearly as good stock as a well ported ford head. I'm not sure their website address, but google them if interested.

Best of luck! If you want any more specifics don't hesitate to send me a private message, if I can't help ill point you in the right direction.

Edit* I can't forget, the first thing you should do is update the fuel system, a new 225lph pump is necessary, a tuner or standalone ecu is necessary (I suggest a quarterhorse by moates.net ), and injectors will need to be updated, for 200hp a set of 4 hole 30-35 lb/hr will work great.

1991 Mustang LX 2.3L 5 Speed convert
1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
Entire turbo kit waiting to be used again.
post #3 of 11 Old April 7th, 2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
0 to 60 in 3...minutes!

Thanks for the warm welcome, I figured I needed to upgrade the fuel system first. I heard contour injectors don't need any major modification and a 5.0 fuel pump will work plug and play? Will I see any hp gains off the fuel pump and injector swap alone? I only have a cold air intake and shoenfield headers on it so far. Any direct links to the full head kits, u couldn't find them to save my life.

Anyone in the San Diego area that works with 2.3 mustangs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old April 7th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Well, Bo-port is overloaded and shut down the site it looks like... That's unfortunate, but in a month or so you might be able to talk to them. Esslinger however, you have to call them, they don't offer an option, they build to your needs.

1989 Ranger 4X4 2.5L 5 Speed solid Dana 30 front axle, 4.5" suspension lift, 3" body. ( blown up....)
post #5 of 11 Old April 7th, 2015, 10:35 PM
six shooter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to quikstang2
Welcome to the group! I'm interested to see what you do for power before going to a turbo.

2000 Ford Mustang convertible 3.8L 5-speed
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6L 6-speed (daily)
post #6 of 11 Old April 8th, 2015, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
0 to 60 in 3...minutes!

it looks like getting a bolt on ready to go head is gona be a pretty penny! so i guess ill have to start with poor man mods first. i hate to bother with this question but will i get any hp gain with a fuel system upgrade and what modifications will i have to do to the ecu/ecm??????

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

thanks quikstang im excited too!!! im fixing to bring the stang to cali in a may b two months meanwhile im gathering up some info on realitively easy mods until i can bust out the bigger guns lol
post #7 of 11 Old April 8th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Short answer, no. The stock cam is poor for performance.

post #8 of 11 Old May 18th, 2015, 02:04 PM

turbo ftw!
post #9 of 11 Old May 19th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BANGING View Post
what modifications will i have to do to the ecu/ecm??????
Compression/milling the head is probably best bang for the buck with stock n/a.

You will want to have control of the timing and fuel maps.
The moates QH (quarterhorse) is pretty good.
post #10 of 11 Old June 5th, 2015, 05:37 PM

None of your "poor man's mods" will make enough of a difference to really worry about the ecu. If you really get into it though I would look at the quarterhorse, megasquirt, or pimp.
post #11 of 11 Old June 5th, 2015, 07:13 PM
BoostedGT

Welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page