Modded Mustang Forums banner

2.3 T-5 Issues!

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  nxcoupe 
#1 ·
Hey all, this is my first post on this site, and I'd appreciate LITERALLY ANY help on this. I've had my 89 LX 2.3 for almost a year now, and about two weeks ago my clutch started acting up. So a flush occurred and that did absolutely nothing. So ordered a new clutch kit hoping that would be pretty much it, my brother and I got everything tore down only to find that the clutch fork had been broken and welded at the pivot point before, and the bearing retainer had deep indentations in the aluminum. Seems like both of these parts in the correct application are made of unobtainium! I could really use any help at all, I miss driving my Donna! Thank you all, and I hope to post more about the eventual build plan very very soon.

#3 ·
Thank you for your help, but all but the stud are for the 5.0, not the 2.3. The clutch fork on the later 4 cylinders was different than the v8. And depending on the year and type of bearing retainer used by the factory a 4 cylinder and v8 bearing retainer would swap over, but very rarely from my understanding.

#4 ·
The bearing retainer should be the same for either 2.3 or 5.0 (see link below). I have used a 5.0 pivot ball to do a swap a long time ago, but I think it was shorter by a 1/2" and I wound up modifying it to fit.

I have not found a new source for clutch forks at this time. You might start looking in the JY for T-Bird turbo coupes, cougar XR7 and 2.3 Mustangs for possible spares.

I am converting over to hydraulic mechanisms on all of my cars when my old parts wear out.

I might have a spare pivot ball if you can't find one elsewhere.

As a last resort, a decent welding shop should be able to repair your worn parts.

LINK--->https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7050/83-93...er?year=1990&gclid=CP3vh9OuucsCFYRrfgodHlEFTw

#5 ·
After doing a lot of reading and searching on google, it appears the bearing retainer is NOT the same. Repair parts for the 2.3 T5 appear to be extremely difficult to come by in many instances, as most parts available are for the 5.0 or for other vehicles altogether.

It seems like after you've spent a lot of time searching for the 2.3 t5 parts and spending the insane expense that some places want for them, you could just swap to a v8 t5. Apparently it just requires turning down the end of the input shaft to fit the 2.3's pilot bearing. That would open up an entire shelf of convenient repair parts to you.

#6 ·
So I was able to find out. My brother and I spent well over 4 days, and I had made countless phone calls all to no avail. Thankfully I found a guy not far from where I live who was pulling another 89 2.3 who sold me most of the parts I needed. Also seemed like I may have jumped the gun on the bearing retainer, a little sandpaper and it cleaned up almost good as new. Thank you both, it's nice to know I can come here and get help and help others learn as well. I hope you all will stick with me on this continuing journey of discovery, because this is just one of the early steps! But she all goes back together this Wednesday, and I'm so behind ready to drive my mustang again!

#7 ·
I haven't been on here for a long time, must apologize for that. I am in the process of swapping my 2.3 5 spd over from the factory bellcrank, crappy clutch fork, etc. I found a Turbo Coupe thunderbird bellhousing with the heavier duty clutchfork, and am planning on buying the top half of a Mcleod hydraulic conversion kit, and use a factory TC slave cylinder, and be done with the terrible feeling bellcrank and short cable that always breaks. I may do a write up on it if I get the time.
If you are going to keep this car for a long time, like me(I've had mine since 05), then gather every spare part you can find for it. These 4 cyl cars are the first ones going to the junkyards, few 5.0's find their way there anymore. Get the stuff while it's around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.