3v swap/Throttle Body - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old July 10th, 2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

3v swap/Throttle Body

Okay so I have an 08 3v I put into my 02 gt. I am using the stock harness so some modifications were needed; cam phaser lockout, new throttle body, fuel delivery, etc. however Iím stuck on one issue with the throttle body. I needed to convert the fly by wire to mechanical driven so I got a 65mm BBK TB from a 03/04 Cobra but it wonít directly bolt to the 3v intake manifold. My next plan was to see if the 03/04 TB was the same bolt pattern as the GT500 theottlebody so that I could use an adapter plate/spacer in order to make it work on the 3v intake mani. If anyone has any experience with this lmk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old July 30th, 2018, 05:42 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

How do you plan on integrating the mechanical TB with the 3v ECM?

Whipple, 3.125" pulley-Comp NSR's-Meziere-Pacesetter L/T's+Outlaws-Level 10 trans-PI 3400-PH driveshaft-Auburn Pro LSD-Richmond 4.10's-CobraJet springs-Viking shocks-BMR control arms, panhard, rear sway bar-and a bunch of other really cool shit
post #3 of 9 Old July 31st, 2018, 09:23 AM
Regular

Might be better off just to buy the right throttle body.....

https://www.jegs.com/i/Professional-...830+4294829436
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old July 31st, 2018, 03:17 PM
MM Fanatic

It sounds like the op is planning on using the stock 2v ecu. If thats the case then he will need a cobra tb but I dont know if theres some sort of adaptor available anymore. If it fits the same as a gt500 tb then the holes will need to be opened up and a BBR gt500 tb adaptor plate used.

There used to be a company that made a 3v swap kit to be used with the stock 2v ecu but I dont think they make the kit anymore. The days of the 3v swap are behind us.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #5 of 9 Old August 1st, 2018, 03:17 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
The days of the 3v swap are behind us.
Not entirely. If you can find a wrecked or junked 05-10 GT with the engine, wiring harness, ECU, and gauge cluster still in it, a 3V swap into an SN95 or older model is possible and presents a much lower cost alternative to swapping in a Coyote 5.0.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
314rwhp 330rwtq with basic bolt-ons
post #6 of 9 Old August 1st, 2018, 07:26 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Quote:
The days of the 3v swap are behind us.
Not entirely. If you can find a wrecked or junked 05-10 GT with the engine, wiring harness, ECU, and gauge cluster still in it, a 3V swap into an SN95 or older model is possible and presents a much lower cost alternative to swapping in a Coyote 5.0.
What I meant by that is that its not popular anymore since the coyote came out. There is no love for the 3v imo.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #7 of 9 Old August 2nd, 2018, 07:51 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
What I meant by that is that its not popular anymore since the coyote came out. There is no love for the 3v imo.
Yeah I guessed that's what you meant.
It just means there'll be plenty of cheap 3V engines out there for those who'll appreciate them. Since the 3V engine is narrower than the Coyote, there's more room to fit it between the strut towers of Ford models where the Coyote is too tight.
If the 3V isn't powerful enough for your taste, just scavenge the supercharger and all associated components from a wrecked GT500, add the Department of Boost GT450 manifold kit, get a custom tune, and have 450+rwhp at your bidding.
post #8 of 9 Old November 14th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Regular

The old 3V swap kit was sold by Logan Motorsports in northern Illinois, they were pretty active on this forum several years ago, maybe still are?. I have one of their branded TB adapters that allows you to bolt an 03/04 Cobra cable-driven TB to the 3v intake manifold. It is just an aluminum spacer, from memory it is about 3/8" thick. Way back in the day when these swaps were discussed on this forum a guy said that the TB spacer that Summit or Jegs was selling would do the same thing, just drill the holes to match the TB or the intake bolt pattern.

You can see the Logan piece in the photos in this link: 1306 Three Valve Performance Logan Motorsports Swap Kit Throttle Body Cable Operation - Photo 49266912 - Logan Motorsports' Three Valve Performance Swap Kit - Do The Math

Check out Photo 17 of 44 in that gallery linked above, it shows the TB adapter clearly.
post #9 of 9 Old August 2nd, 2019, 08:43 PM

Just get a 3V spacer, drill out the holes bigger to match the spacer for the Cobra TB and that’s about it. That’s what I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page