Supercharger for B heads - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old October 31st, 2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
dexdiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 378
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Supercharger for B heads

I just bought a Mark VIII donor car and I'm planning on pulling the motor out forging and supercharging it. I'm just starting to plan the budget and I'm wondering if I can buy a 96-98 Cobra roots/PD supercharger and have it bolt right in? Or would it be easier with C heads?

I know C heads are better all around but I have also read that forced induction really makes the difference between B and C heads negligible. So if I can save money and time and keep the B heads then that would be nice, but if there aren't very many SCs for B heads and it's easier to find SCs for C heads then that's what I need to do.



The ultimate daily driver project



dexdiman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old October 31st, 2018, 08:37 PM
MM Fanatic
 
07gtS197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Naples, Fl
Posts: 4,467
Blog Entries: 3
     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Does anyone even make pd blowers for b heads? I think Kenne Bell used to but I dont know about now. But then again I dont keep up with anything 4v. Maybe wicked would know.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
07gtS197 is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old November 2nd, 2018, 09:43 PM
Regular
 
links's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: lagrangeville,NY
Posts: 120
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Kenne Bell still makes a 2.1 for 1996-98 cobras. It’s non Intercooled but if you install a water/methanol injection system it will keep the iat’s reasonable. Lose the imrc’s and make sure you get a good tune. The instant torque from them is awesome and it’s a fun street setup maxing at about 400-440 rwhp but if you want more you may have to go with turbo or centrifugal.
I currently have this setup with a custom intercooler mounted in the open house manifold and a killer chiller setup. Pushing 15#’s boost with a snow performance water/meth system. Getting 440rwhp/450tq and keeping iat’s down below 160 degrees on a 90 degree day in ny. The iat’s recover nicely down below 120-130 when cruising. Also running octane booster with 93 to get 104 octane to help prevent detonation. If you want any more info just ask

Chris
links is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old November 3rd, 2018, 07:36 PM
Hans Sprungfeld
 
WickedSnake00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Freakin' cornfields
Posts: 21,713
                     
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
Does anyone even make pd blowers for b heads? I think Kenne Bell used to but I dont know about now. But then again I dont keep up with anything 4v. Maybe wicked would know.
WHO DARES SUMMON ME?

Pretty much your only choice for PD blowers on a B-head is the older Kenne Bell kits, limited to a 1.8 or 2.1. A lot more heat and less power than a lot of the stuff out there today, but it gets the job done, on par or a little better than an Eaton. They're not as plentiful either.

For C-heads you can score Continental heads dirt cheap. They're the same as the 99-01 Cobra heads. The difference between that and the 03+ isn't that big unless you're going max effort, and especially not that much if you're using a PD blower. I would also say that I've noticed Aviator heads have been turning up cheap, and those are easy to get the 04+ ones with the cooling revision and 9 thread plugs.

Personally I'd get some cheap C heads. It will give you a lot more flexibility down the line, and with the incredible value and performance of the TVS blowers, that's the route I'd look at.
WickedSnake00 is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old November 5th, 2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Regular
 
dexdiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 378
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by links View Post
Kenne Bell still makes a 2.1 for 1996-98 cobras. It’s non Intercooled but if you install a water/methanol injection system it will keep the iat’s reasonable. Lose the imrc’s and make sure you get a good tune. The instant torque from them is awesome and it’s a fun street setup maxing at about 400-440 rwhp but if you want more you may have to go with turbo or centrifugal.
I currently have this setup with a custom intercooler mounted in the open house manifold and a killer chiller setup. Pushing 15#’s boost with a snow performance water/meth system. Getting 440rwhp/450tq and keeping iat’s down below 160 degrees on a 90 degree day in ny. The iat’s recover nicely down below 120-130 when cruising. Also running octane booster with 93 to get 104 octane to help prevent detonation. If you want any more info just ask

Chris
Thanks for the info. That diffidently gives me a pretty viable option if a I stay with the B heads. I am looking for 500-600 HP but I am also on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
WHO DARES SUMMON ME?

Pretty much your only choice for PD blowers on a B-head is the older Kenne Bell kits, limited to a 1.8 or 2.1. A lot more heat and less power than a lot of the stuff out there today, but it gets the job done, on par or a little better than an Eaton. They're not as plentiful either.

For C-heads you can score Continental heads dirt cheap. They're the same as the 99-01 Cobra heads. The difference between that and the 03+ isn't that big unless you're going max effort, and especially not that much if you're using a PD blower. I would also say that I've noticed Aviator heads have been turning up cheap, and those are easy to get the 04+ ones with the cooling revision and 9 thread plugs.

Personally I'd get some cheap C heads. It will give you a lot more flexibility down the line, and with the incredible value and performance of the TVS blowers, that's the route I'd look at.
Oh great WickedSnake. Thank you for descending from upon high to grace us with your presences and knowledge!

I was looking the other day and I saw some Aviator heads on Ebay for $600-700 which is about the same price as C heads. I bet I could find them cheaper from a junk yard or on CL. I'm a ways off from starting to buy parts so I've got plenty of time to find a deal. Thanks!



The ultimate daily driver project



dexdiman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome