HELP!!! - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

HELP!!!

I HAVE A '89 GT, WITH A '94 ENGINE SWAP. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA REQUIRES FOR SMOG? DO I HAVE TO PASS SMOG BASED ON THE YEAR OF MY CAR OR ON THE YEAR OF THE ENGINE? DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE TWO YEARS HAD SMOG COMPATIBLE ENGINES AND COMPONENTS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I beleave it is the year of the car. Here in CANADA we have the same pollution program.
post #3 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM

in california, you cant have long tube headers or modififed/bypassed emissions components. you can add aftermarket cat back exhaust systems. also, your check engine light must not be tripped on when going for testing. long tube headers will fail a visual inspection, and since they delete the catalytic converters, they will fail.

so you must have stock or short tube headers, at least one catalytic converter per exhaust path (at least 2 on your car) and then the metered exhaust must be in a certain range.

we dont have emissions where i live, so i have what we call "off road" exhaust where i have long tube headers and no catalytic converters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I HAVE SHORT / STOCK HEADERS, THEY EVEN STILL HAVE TEH FORD STAMP ON THEM. I HAVE TWO CATS PER PIPE, AND I DONT THINK I HAVE ANY EMISSIONS BYPASS COMPONENTS. THE THING IS, ALL THE SMOG TECHS OUT HERE ARE NOT SURE IF IT WILL PASS BECAUSE OF THE DIFFERENT SMOG COMPONENTS NESSESARY BETWEEN A '89 AND '94. I CAN MAKE THE EMMISIONS FALL INTO RANGE, BUT I DONT KNOW IF THE MOTOR ITSELF IS SMOGABLE IN THE BODY. OH, AND MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WORKS PROPERLY.
post #5 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 08:34 PM

well smog bypass would be either removing the catalytic converters, disabling the check engine light or oxygen sensors or EGR pump, etc. or having exhaust cutouts that manually or electrically bypassed the catalytic converters and/or mufflers.

a stock exhaust from the headers to the mid pipe will pass emissions. a cat back will get you some better flow and sound, but a new mid pipe might make you fail emissions in the strict california testing areas
post #6 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

ALL MY PIPING IS LEGIT, AS FAR AS I CAN TELL. I HAVE AN EXHAUST LEAK COMING FROM SOMEWHERE ARROUND THE PASSENGER SIDE HEADER, BUT I CANT FIND IT. I GET KIND OF A RATTLE WHEN I ACCELERATE HARD, PLUS YOU CAN SMELL IT. MY O2 SENSORS WORK, BUT AGAIN I HAVE TO ASK IF THE '94 COBRA ENGINE WILL PASS IN A '89 GT BODY. IM PRETTY SURE THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM IF IT WERE AN '94 BODY. BUT I HAVE AN '89. EVERY ONE KEEPS TELLING ME THAT IS GOING TO BE MY PROBLEM. BUT IF THE MOTORS ARE SMOG COMPATABLE......
post #7 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM

i dont know for sure if they test by car year or engine year. i know that a car over 25 years old is usually exempt from emissions testing in some states. i assume they would go by the motor, not the car. call your local DMV to find out for sure though.

if you have an exhaust leak by the header, it is probably the gasket. the thin metal is easily cut over time and pressure. and they are cheap as hell too. start the car and feel around the pipes (without touching them) and see if you feel a leak anywhere. a clicking noise under acceleration is synonymous with exhaust leaks
post #8 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

LOL..... MY LOCAL DMV WANTS ME TO TAKE IT TO THE CALIFONIA REFEREE, SOMETHING IM NOT ABOUT TO DO.
post #9 of 16 Old January 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM

make sure you are up to date with you tag and testing though, do what you have to in order to pass the emissions testing and drive legit
post #10 of 16 Old January 26th, 2006, 01:07 AM

what are you looking for when it comes to your exhaust? do you want it to be louder or to cut back on some back pressure? cause there are ways around the visual if your lookin for just loudness. As for long tube headers, he is right there to noticable.
post #11 of 16 Old January 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM
MM Fanatic

if im not mistaken i think they go by chasis year not motor
post #12 of 16 Old January 27th, 2006, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mustang232
if im not mistaken i think they go by chasis year not motor
Yeah so if the emissions specs are one thing for his year model chassis and the motor makes more than allowed, He might have a problem. It seems like he should be alright if he used all the smog equipment off the 89 tho.
post #13 of 16 Old January 27th, 2006, 01:43 AM
MM Fanatic

i think you will ok, even with the sniff and visual you have cats and the pump... and an exhaust leak, so less fumes out the tailpipe

califonia sucks for that and seems like virginia is following in their footsteps, they already smog up north.
post #14 of 16 Old January 27th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:
i think you will ok, even with the sniff and visual you have cats and the pump... and an exhaust leak, so less fumes out the tailpipe

califonia sucks for that and seems like virginia is following in their footsteps, they already smog up north.
hopefully, that never happens down here........ As for the referee, why don't you just go talk with them and have them answer any questions for you before you take the car down there for them to inspect. More than likely, all the smog equipment from the 89 will have to be there and be functional, or the sniffer better come back clean. Also, an exhaust leak will show up on the gas analyzer and cause you to fail
post #15 of 16 Old January 27th, 2006, 10:36 AM
MM Fanatic

how does the exhaust leak show?
post #16 of 16 Old January 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
how does the exhaust leak show?
it will trick the computer into a false lean condition and enrichen the fuel trims accordingly to compensate for this and the resulting rich fuel mixture will show on the gas analyzer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page