Mustang dies/misses when hot. - Page 3 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 Old August 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo View Post
Not sure. There are a lot of quirks in the electrical system of these cars and the hotter it gets the more restrictive it is to pass the current. Kinda like when you heat up a magnet enough, it is no longer magnetic until it cools down.
Yeah i wasn't sure if resistance was building up somewhere or just breaking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo View Post
That ticking noise does not sound good at all. Do you know how hot your engine is because your needle looks dead.
It hasnt died yet and done that.I have autometer pro-comp gauges in the center air vents and below. We unhooked the stock gauge..
My buddy jeff who works at SVT and owns a speed shop thinks it might be the aftermarket IAC..

1990 Mustang 5.0 Vert'
2009 Nissan GTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 Old August 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Regular

Mines been doing this too.
Also my fan hasn't been kicking on, which is why I took it to my shop to see why my 94 was running so hot; well long story short he said the ECM (control module) was going out.

Not sure if this is the problem or not since I haven't replaced mine but just wanted to throw that out there in case it may be the problem..

If you find out what it is, let me know!
post #43 of 53 Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxmoto28 View Post
Mines been doing this too.
Also my fan hasn't been kicking on, which is why I took it to my shop to see why my 94 was running so hot; well long story short he said the ECM (control module) was going out.

Not sure if this is the problem or not since I haven't replaced mine but just wanted to throw that out there in case it may be the problem..

If you find out what it is, let me know!
I'm not sure if that's it. I've been driving it no problem on short trips 20-30 min and its been fine. I drove it around a good bit today though and on the way home while in gear it did the sputtering jerking thing really fast like it was missing for 2 seconds and then was fine. Then about a minute later still cruising it lost power for a slit second maybe less and was ok, like i was still in the gas but it was like i took my foot off the gas kind of feeling.

I came to a stop a little bit up the road and it started surging like CRAZY from 300-400-rpm to like 1400ish and then eventually dipped so low it shut off. I waited 5 seconds and started it up again no problem but it immediately started surging badly again and eventually shut itself off again while waiting at the light.

1990 Mustang 5.0 Vert'
2009 Nissan GTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 53 Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:00 AM
Regular

have you checked 02 sensors

Pigeontoe
post #45 of 53 Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:10 AM

my cobra used to do the exact same thing, replaced the coil and it was good as new.
post #46 of 53 Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89pigeontoe View Post
have you checked 02 sensors
02 sensors are brand spankin new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry2k12 View Post
my cobra used to do the exact same thing, replaced the coil and it was good as new.
funny you should say that.. I just came in not 5 secs ago from my garage and replaced the coil out. I'll see what she does in the morning! Frankly i've narrowed it down to the last possible things. Praying to god this does it seemingly if its happened to you too.

1990 Mustang 5.0 Vert'
2009 Nissan GTR
post #47 of 53 Old September 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Swapping the coil didn't work.

While driving it literally shut off while in gear and barely in the gas. The tach went top zero and i could hear the motor barely running. I put it into neutral and it died immediately.

I noticed this morning when i went to start the car the voltage was below 12 volts. It still started but the voltage instead of being above 14 volts like it always is, it was around 13.5 and going down somewhat. Also when i started it this morning, as soon i went to turn the key to start it, instead of the starter normally taking like 1-2 secs turn it on like any other car it was almost instantaneous of me turning the key and it starting, went up to about 1800 and then fell down rapidly to about 400-300rpm trying to stay running but then shut itself off. Its been doing this on cold start-up only. After its stays running and i restart it the second time it runs fine until after i run it for awhile and then it does that shaking sputtering warning sign for 2 secs and then eventually dies.

HELP!

1990 Mustang 5.0 Vert'
2009 Nissan GTR

Last edited by 1NVERTED5.0; September 4th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
post #48 of 53 Old September 5th, 2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Unplugged the maf and it runs alot better. plug it back in and it runs like dog shit again. Just ordered a new MAF from summit

1990 Mustang 5.0 Vert'
2009 Nissan GTR
post #49 of 53 Old October 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mustangtommy
im really glad this thread is here i have been having the same problems im gonna try to just clean the maf and if it doesnt stop im gonna order a new one

not built for your taste but built for mine
post #50 of 53 Old October 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM

It's the fuel pump people. Change it.

New Bassani Ceramic Coated 1-5\8 Equal Length Shorty Headers For Sale - $400 OBO
post #51 of 53 Old October 19th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mustangtommy
not always i just cleaned my maf and all of my problems went away

not built for your taste but built for mine
post #52 of 53 Old July 14th, 2018, 07:28 PM

1NVERTED5.0 I know this is a REALLY old post but what ended up fixing your problems? I am having the same issues and have swapped about everything to this point. MAF and IAC next.
post #53 of 53 Old March 22nd, 2019, 08:50 PM
Look Ma! My First Post!

Hello Same problem Did changing the mpf work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page