Setting 5.0 Idle - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old August 28th, 2005, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Setting 5.0 Idle

Idle Adjustment By Darrin Tebbe (on Corral.net)

It seems that many people have trouble with the way their 5.0 Mustang idles. Symptoms are usually a stumbling or rough idle which may be the result of modifications, or any number of other factors that may contribute to the problem. Clogged Emissions Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valves or Idle Air Bypass (IAB) solenoids are often to blame. A bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) will cause the engine to "hunt" for a proper idle setting. If you are experiencing idle problems first check the IAB. If it has large amounts of carbon deposits in it you may need to clean it using regular carburetor cleaner. You will have to remove it to do this, DO NOT clean it while it is on the car! If you have checked to make sure that your EGR, IAB, and TPS are clean and properly set and you are still experiencing problems try the following:
1. Clear the EEC-IV's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.
2. Disconnect the Idle air bypass solonoid
3. Reconnect battery
4. Start engine and set idle speed to desired RPM with stop screw on throttle body (900 rpm works great with E303 or larger cam)
5. Turn off engine and reconnect the air bypass solenoid*Optional -- set TPS to 0.90 - 0.95 volts (Do not exceed 1.0 volts MAKE SURE!) Use a digital volt meter!
6. Start engine and let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on.
7. Turn off engine for two minutes
8. Start engine again and run for 2 minutes with every accessory turned on.
9. Turn engine off again. Your computer should have now re-learned the new idle settings. This procedure assumes that you have a clean IAB valve. If it is carboned up then you may need to remove it and clean it with carburetor cleaner.

F.Y.I.:
For people that dont know you have to take off the neg. battery cable first and always put it back on last when disconecting both battery cables.

-Mike
Link to My Site
Want to Play Some Pool???

Stroked and Blown!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old November 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 87vert
the most recommended tps setting is .98

'96 Exploder XLT 5.0 AWD
"turbos coming soon"
post #3 of 14 Old July 29th, 2006, 07:50 PM

great post!!

is there a post for setting the TPS on a 94' cobra?

jt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old July 29th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Regular

exactly where is the stop screw on the throttle body at
post #5 of 14 Old July 31st, 2006, 05:31 PM
Enthusiast

underneath the throttle body

"The gods too are fond of a joke."

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. "
post #6 of 14 Old August 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM

I disconnected the neg, pulled and cleaned the IAC. put it back and my car idles much better and seems to run smoother too. Prior to resetting the computer I had a dirty IAC, and a massive vaccum leak.
post #7 of 14 Old November 30th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Does this apply for 95's as well?
post #8 of 14 Old May 9th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert
what wires do i test to get that reading? the org and black wire i got a reading of about 5v and with the org and grn wire i got a reading of about 4.03v.. so wht do i need to do to get .98v

89 gt 3.73 gears, full exhaust, holley system max2 intake manifold, 70mm throttle body, jet chip
post #9 of 14 Old August 27th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to lone5oh
cali has asked my question do i put one lead in one wire and one in the other with a digital multimeter? and im guessing low low dc on the switch?? thanks im slow you got to work with me. take care

matt
post #10 of 14 Old September 18th, 2007, 07:48 AM

I posted awhile back requesting help with fuel pump power problems on my 89 5.0 and there were quite a few great posts that had tons of tech and ideas for troubleshooting. Well, I followed most of the posts and checked and/or replaced damn near everything including fuel pump, regulator, fp relay, computer, TFI, ig. switch, and stripped all the wiring and checked fuseable links and whatnot from one end of car to other including the inertia switc. Problem still persists, cant get power to fuel pump w/o jumping the test connector fp lead. Just was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, and any ideas how to fix I might have missed. Been driving for months now with the jumpered wire powering the pump with real lousy fuel mileage, also get the cel on after car warms up, varies on when it comes on tho.... Even had the o2's relocated thinking they were hitting the front crossmember with vibration, but no good on the cel there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #11 of 14 Old July 28th, 2010, 12:56 AM

just throwing this out there the problem may not be the positive it may be a ground??

post #12 of 14 Old July 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMPUFF87GT View Post
just throwing this out there the problem may not be the positive it may be a ground??
Since it's been 3 years... He's prolly got it fixed by now. Newbs............

FastStang's Ongoing projects thread Click here!
post #13 of 14 Old July 28th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
which is a BS myth... as long as the voltage is btween .5 and 1v, the EEC could care less what you have it set at

[URL="http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/2148862880.html"]1994 Cobra For Sale[/URL]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[QUOTE=Timm10221]Its only a 10 inch Tach that sits right in the center of the dash with LED lights and a Spinner bezel that has dimonds and gold plating.. And when you hit 4500 plus is sounds off (AAHHH SHITT) :cool:[/QUOTE]
post #14 of 14 Old July 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
Since it's been 3 years... He's prolly got it fixed by now. Newbs............
LMFAO!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/218-setting-5-0-idle.html
Posted By For Type Date
A definitive solution to stumbling, hesitating, backfiring on acceleration? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback January 29th, 2015 06:21 PM
It's Finally Alive!! But need help with idle - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum This thread Refback August 4th, 2012 01:24 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback February 18th, 2010 12:54 PM
A definitive solution to stumbling, hesitating, backfiring on acceleration? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback March 7th, 2009 04:30 PM
It's Finally Alive!! But need help with idle - Corral Forums This thread Refback December 16th, 2008 11:35 AM
It's Finally Alive!! But need help with idle - Corral Forums This thread Refback December 4th, 2008 11:53 AM
It's Finally Alive!! But need help with idle - Corral Forums This thread Refback November 23rd, 2008 11:54 AM
It's Finally Alive!! But need help with idle - Corral Forums This thread Refback November 23rd, 2008 08:38 AM
A definitive solution to stumbling, hesitating, backfiring on acceleration? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Pingback January 9th, 2008 12:11 PM