TrickFlow R series Intake Manifold? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Question TrickFlow R series Intake Manifold?

hey guys, im just trying to get some imput on what i should do for my winter engine "build" the main part that i will get getting will be a new intake manifold. i have really had my eyes on the trickflow. is that a good choice? in the long run i will be trying to turbo (hopefully hellion) my 93 lx so will alow for good flow? what else should i look into? BBK 75mm Throttle body? i have many questions and any imput would be great. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:55 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

trick flow R intake with what cylinder head ? stock ?

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

yes as of now i will probably have stock heads for awhile. but i have been looking into trickflow heads too. i just dont have the money to drop into them right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2011, 11:34 PM

i would change the heads first. there more restrictive then the stock intake. the average used TF R intake sells for 400+, so take that 400 and save up another 400 and buy some used TF heads.

that intake may be to big for the stock heads any ways

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw View Post
i would change the heads first. there more restrictive then the stock intake. the average used TF R intake sells for 400+, so take that 400 and save up another 400 and buy some used TF heads.

that intake may be to big for the stock heads any ways
yup hes right. Best best for stock heads is cobra upper and lower which can be had at around $300 brand new

Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Regular

1979-95 Mustang 5.0L/5.8L Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Fully Assembled 190Cc Stud Mount Cylinder Heads with 64Cc Combustion Chamber at LRS - Same Day Shipping! ??? how are these? will they be good for running a turbo application? i might as well sell both of my nuts! hah but basically whatever intake i get its not going to increase that much power over stock because of my crappy heads?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Fox5.0 View Post
basically whatever intake i get its not going to increase that much power over stock because of my crappy heads?
You will not see that much of a gain out of a more race oriented intake like the R. with stock heads. You really need to look down the road and know where you are going with the build. If you are planning a turbo and all you need a intake, heads and cam that will support it. The R with a set of twisted wedge heads and a good blower grind cam would be great. But, that is with a turbo. Without the turbo you will be leaving alot on the table.

If you are going for a budget minded build I would even consider an explorer intake as they actually do pretty decent for the cost. I am sure these guys will agree spend the extra money on the heads. That is where the power is for these motors. Or just buy a turbo kit and bolt it on a stock motor. We ran 10.70's with a cartech street setup on a bone stock motor. It did not last long but it was fun while it did.

Just have a plan for where you want to go with the car. That will help you from buying things twice or not getting the most out of your set up. Good luck and let me know if I can help.
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks for your imput, but from my recent discovery that the stock block can only handle aout 500hp before it turns into a ticking time bomb has kinda turned me away from a turbo build. if i were to go turbo i would want more hp than that... so i think i may just stick to n/a. do you know how much hp i could get out of a n/a motor build? and also i was looking into the Trickflow top end kit with the stage 1 cam, heads and intake. what are your thoughts on that? thanks for your help
Old November 29th, 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
i think i may just stick to n/a. do you know how much hp i could get out of a n/a motor build? and also i was looking into the Trickflow top end kit with the stage 1 cam, heads and intake. what are your thoughts on that? thanks for your help
you can get a decent amount of HP out of a n/a motor. How much depends on your budget,choice in combo. wheather its set up to be a track car or a street car ect.....

The TF top end kit, from what ive heard is a nice kit. as for how much HP youll get from it...(Guessing 300-350)

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Regular

for my car i really want a street killer that is still able to run a good time at the track. not 9's or anything crazy like that but a good time. but anyway ive heard 350 from the kit at least that is what they claim. sounds really good to me. now should i port the heads and make them flow even more or are they fine how they are? and the intake that comes with the kit isnt the r series. if i definitely want max performance out of this kit should i sell the intake from the kit and pick up the r series?
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:49 PM
MM Fanatic

You can put together a better combo than the TFS kit for a little more money. What are your goals and your budget first? Figure about high 11's can be had with that TFS kit a good driver and some sticky tires in a 5 speed car. How much faster than that you want to go depends on how much money you want to spend. Dollar for dollar, boost will get you there and faster for cheaper though. I've seen on3 kits on stock engine cars make it to low 11's high 10's with nothing more than tires, tune and supporting mods. At that power level you're going to need to start upgrading driveline parts though, or they will break.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Other then gasket matching the ports, I'd leave them alone unless you know what your doing. You could make things worse.

I do agree with fogged that there are better combos out there that you can piece together your self, but that may cost you a bit more. But as far as a ready made kit goes the tf top end kit wouldn't be a bad.. Don't be afraid to buy used stuff it can save you a butt load of money.

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Regular

my goals would be a n/a application. and i just was to rape people. i was originally thinking about turboing my car but i dont want to put all this money into my engine if there is a possibility of blowing it up. as far as my budget, im not sure. im saving up all the money i get this winter and putting it into whatever i need. there isnt an exact amount. i am just willing to put whatever it takes into parts. and for porting, i wouldnt be doing it. there are a few shops around that i can choose from. just wondering if it would make a considerable difference.
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM

You can always just leave the engine stock then turbo it with a few sporting modes such as exhaust , fuel pump, injectors,And you shouldn't breaking the block. It's just a thought

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:55 PM

And a tune

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular

grrr... i hate that you gave me that thought... how much hp/tq do you think i could make with a n/a motor?
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Again it's hard to say. How much money do you have set a side for the engine build. Maybe some guys on here can come up with a better combo then the tf top end kit and a closer hp/tq #

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular

ok well for this question, lets just say money is out of the equation. i am willing to spend whatever i have saved up, and will continue to build on it
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:55 AM
Regular

Quote:
hey guys, im just trying to get some imput on what i should do for my winter engine "build" the main part that i will get getting will be a new intake manifold. i have really had my eyes on the trickflow. is that a good choice? in the long run i will be trying to turbo (hopefully hellion) my 93 lx so will alow for good flow? what else should i look into? BBK 75mm Throttle body? i have many questions and any imput would be great. Thanks for any help!
Hey man what did you end up doing and changing to down the road. I have a situation where I was first concentrating on the 400 W I'm going to build and deciding which intake to get. I did narrow it down to the Box R or an elbow intake converted EFI. My boy with his 408 told me the TFS R was too small for his combo and he switched to the Box and picked up 35 hp.

Now my situation is I've decided I want a 331 as well so I'll build that first. Since I have a wrecked 302 with a Performer rpm 2 and TW 170 cc's, I was just going to use those on the 331 and may still do if I don't sell the entire 302 motor or the heads and intake. I'm thinking to go with AFR 185s or a TF equivalent head to that and either another Rpm 2 or the TFS R. I'll have to research which intake would make more sense with my combo. And the car will be just a nice weekend driving streetcar, No track, matter of fact both cars will be. And also NA for both. May drive a few times a week sometimes. I'll eventually have 2 stangs, maybe 3 if I get the Termi after I build the 400. So yes decisions decisions. I did also decide that I'd live with the 331 setup using the heads and intake on my 302 as the 400 W should achieve 500 hp at least.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote:
You can always just leave the engine stock then turbo it with a few sporting modes such as exhaust , fuel pump, injectors,And you shouldn't breaking the block. It's just a thought
see my last post ryan and chime in. That's if you guys get the notification lol. But yes this time around I'd like to match everything up as best I could.

I guess overall the 185 AFR heads would definitely be better than the TF 170s but have to research and compare the Performer 2 vs the TFS R intake.

If I keep the 170s and sell the Performer, I could either get another performer 2 or the TFS R. And my performer 2 needs re powedercoating after some Freon leaked and has it kinda dull so selling and getting a new one would save me repowdercoating it.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Again it's hard to say. How much money do you have set a side for the engine build. Maybe some guys on here can come up with a better combo then the tf top end kit and a closer hp/tq #

Edel per rpm2, Custom grind cam via of Shaun Harrelson ,TF heads, 75maf,70tb,Basani X,Mac Shorties,3.55 gears,Rear UCA/LCA's,Hotchkis CC's, 24 lb inj, 255 lb ph FP, , Tuned in 2014 with Chris Tuton,
Old October 27th, 2017, 06:59 AM

nice informstion. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in