Headers Worth It? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast

Headers Worth It?

Buddy of mine recently bought a 94 GT. He wants to go with a full exhaust but I was wondering if headers would be worth it on this car. How much of a difference in horsepower would he see over a simple O/R x pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUNZippee!
Dude if you had a vagina I would end you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 04:39 AM
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDEAFBRO? View Post
Buddy of mine recently bought a 94 GT. He wants to go with a full exhaust but I was wondering if headers would be worth it on this car. How much of a difference in horsepower would he see over a simple O/R x pipe?
Crossover pipes are the ticket when changing out exhaust components. Headers help, especially long tubes, but are a hell of an investment. Short tubes are pretty much just shiny oem replacements. I vote for a new crossover pipe, catback, and money saved on the headers to be spent elsewhere.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

-
post #3 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast

Gotcha. I'm not too familiar with these year Mustang. Matter of fact, I found out from him it was a 5 liter engine! I had no idea they made SN's with a 5.0. Anyways, I appreciate any info I can get on this. I want to help him with his build.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Regular

I could have swore I read that bang then the manifolds were not nearly as efficient as they are on the newer bodies and headers made a larger difference. That being said headers imo never matter alot unless your packing bug horsepower as an engine breathing that heavy needs to expel heavier as well.

Bama Tune/Corsa Extreme/MacProChamber/Eibach Pro Springs/FR 3.73/Roush CAI/J&M Panhard/Koni STR.T Shocks-Struts
post #5 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Resident Headbanger

Long tube headers with a shorty midpipe are definitely worth installing, and don't even bother with shorty headers. The choice of either H-pipe (rumbly American muscle car sound) or X-pipe (raspier European V8 sound) depends on the kind of sound that you like.

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
post #6 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Long tube headers with a shorty midpipe are definitely worth installing, and don't even bother with shorty headers. The choice of either H-pipe (rumbly American muscle car sound) or X-pipe (raspier European V8 sound) depends on the kind of sound that you like.
Yeah my friend would definitely like a more American muscle car sound. I'll have him listen to some sound clips to give him an idea of what he should be expecting. I guess if he's doing it for the sound it would be worth it plus a few extra hp never hurt. Anyone have any numbers as to what to expect in terms of power gains?

Quote:
post #7 of 15 Old June 7th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Headers will definitely help but how much depends on other things... If he has the stock restrictive heads and intake manifold then yeah, they might not make a huge difference. But once he starts upgrading things like heads, cam, etc then it would be smart to get some headers too.
post #8 of 15 Old June 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Resident Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDEAFBRO? View Post
Anyone have any numbers as to what to expect in terms of power gains?
Depends on what mods you already have but LT headers + midpipe should yield at least 15rwhp.
post #9 of 15 Old June 8th, 2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Loud Exhaust Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Depends on what mods you already have but LT headers + midpipe should yield at least 15rwhp.
Gotcha, that's what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

Quote:
post #10 of 15 Old June 10th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Hell yes headers are worth it on a 5.0, shorty or longtube.

Stock 5.0 headers are 1 and 1/2" primaries and very restrictive as not only are they the smaller primaries than ALL the aftermarket shorties, they actually have indents in the primaries to make it easier to install the header bolts at the factory. Completely terrible, completely idiotic design which was fixed in 96 with the modular manifolds. Modulars don't have restrictive stock manifolds like the older 5.0s did.

Here is a pic to illustrate what I am talking about, I'll let you draw your own conclusions but its pretty damn obvious

As far as longtubes... if you can do them do them. I had a set of MACs on my 95 and they tucked up nice and tight to the underbody, sat no lower than the shorty stuff did and longtubes will pick up even more power than the shorties. You can do them with the motor in the car on a 5.0 as well. However, if you just want better headers and already have a midpipe or live in a state that cares about longtubes then the shorties are well worth it. I just wish they still made the 94/95 versions of the FRPP stainless ceramic shorties. Those were the best quality headers I ever had on ANYTHING I've ever owned.
post #11 of 15 Old June 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

dude youll get a lot of different opinions on this one. basicly if your buddy wants good muscle car sound then go with longtubes, doesn't matter which brand cuz they all rust eventually unless you pay 5 to 700 bucks for some good stainless and they are all agrovating when installing cuz they never have enough clearance on one or two of the pipes where your wrench or socket is tightening the header bolts. but all in all, go with long tubes with 3 in collectors and find a h pipe that's about that size. I cant remember if they even make 3 in h pipes but get the 2.5 in ( and they have to be no cats, if your city doesn't smog test, if they do your screwed because cats muffle everything your planning on doing with your exhaust and high flow cats are too expesive and pointless on a 94-95)if you cant and get 40 series flowmasters 2 chamber and run stainless tips out the back. if that's not raspy enough for your buddy then scrap the tips and put 3 in turn down tips and point them straight at the ground and you wont be able to hear your self think or the radio or the guy flipping you the bird cuz he cant hear his radio either. in all this confusion, hp gains depend on what parts your buddy has installed on the engine. if its stock youll see more torque gains than hp but itll be around 20 with the headers. if theres a cam or cai and manifold or some other mod that puts more air in the engine the youll see 20 to 25 to 30. now on the other hand. if you have aftermarket heads on there and the other stated mods this is where the long tubes will be most useful and youll see good torque and a nice hp gain because lts are pricless for letting your other mods do their jobs right. 30 hp is at the most of what you can expect but you wont know unless you had a dyno and seen the difference. others will argue all this but I don't care. take this info and use it to what ever..... hope it helped. tell your buddy good luck and he wont be disappointed.

98 Mustang GT Convert.-Auto
95 Mustang GT 5.0L-T-5-Sold
96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #12 of 15 Old June 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM

definitely worth it!
post #13 of 15 Old July 24th, 2013, 11:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 89lxstang5.0
Long tubes FTW!
post #14 of 15 Old October 12th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Regular

I second that Long tube headers, but look into y-headers.
post #15 of 15 Old October 13th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydsntknow View Post
Hell yes headers are worth it on a 5.0, shorty or longtube.
Here is a pic to illustrate what I am talking about, I'll let you draw your own conclusions but its pretty damn obvious

This^
If the heads are stock, then the stock headers are acceptable because the stock heads exhaust port size is pretty pathetic to be honest...
Also, if the car is a convertible, have fun with the fab work involved in making long tubes fit.

98' Mustang GT coupe, CAI, trickflow 75mm intake, 3.73 gears, O/R x-pipe, flowmasters, short throw shifter, 24lb injectors. 183k miles
95' Mustang GT vert: AODE, 2.73 gears, O/R xpipe flowtech mufflers , 410,000~ miles. (totaled, sitting in yard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page