Grinding while under load - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old June 10th, 2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Grinding while under load

ive had this grinding for the past couple months now and i cant seem to figure out where its coming from or what it is. i did have a problem with my right side header rubbing against the flange on my lakewood bellhousing but i got that taken care of and i still have it. it seems to be worse/more often when i have a passenger or extra weight in the car compared to when its just me (although it still does it occasionally with just me in the car). my starter is tight and i cant see any place that my exhaust would be rubbing. i was thinking maybe my control arms or a bushing? it doesnt grind when im coasting or when the clutch in in just when i give it gas and put the rear under load.

anyone have any similar experience? im at a loss

2003 Mach 1 Oxford white 5spd, FR500 cams, C&L ram air with 85mm maf, N2mb WOT box, bassani headers, O/R X with Borla stingers, Hurst shifter, built rear, 4.10 gears, Moser 31 spline axles, Koni yellows, MM subframes/LCA/CC plates and coil overs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old June 10th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast

lol. I had the same thing happen to me on my 07 gt when I put longtubes on it. im telling you it would sound the same way and it only did it bad if there were two people in the car and I was accelerating. basicly the only thing I could think of that explained it was. when you accelerate your rear end isn't the only thing under a load. your motor mounts are compensating the engine twisting and your trans mount is holding the tailshaft housing from bowing up. if your headers are tight and you push the gas the tailshaft housing moves up slighty from the force thus making the headers lightly rub enough to make that "grinding" or rattling noise but not enough to make any sign of it. sounds weird right? think about it for a while. if your that concerned about it. jack the ass end up and make sure its secure and put it in gear and have a buddy rev on it and switch gears and let off, slow the tires down and accel again so on and so forth til you find that sound. the only thing there is that your rear end wont have a bind but your engine will as I tried to describe above. hope this none sense helped lol.

98 Mustang GT Convert.-Auto
95 Mustang GT 5.0L-T-5-Sold
96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #3 of 18 Old June 10th, 2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakkhen20 View Post
lol. I had the same thing happen to me on my 07 gt when I put longtubes on it. im telling you it would sound the same way and it only did it bad if there were two people in the car and I was accelerating. basicly the only thing I could think of that explained it was. when you accelerate your rear end isn't the only thing under a load. your motor mounts are compensating the engine twisting and your trans mount is holding the tailshaft housing from bowing up. if your headers are tight and you push the gas the tailshaft housing moves up slighty from the force thus making the headers lightly rub enough to make that "grinding" or rattling noise but not enough to make any sign of it. sounds weird right? think about it for a while. if your that concerned about it. jack the ass end up and make sure its secure and put it in gear and have a buddy rev on it and switch gears and let off, slow the tires down and accel again so on and so forth til you find that sound. the only thing there is that your rear end wont have a bind but your engine will as I tried to describe above. hope this none sense helped lol.
^ this WAS my original problem lol but i loosened up my headers and shifted my mid pipe over and it stopped "that" grinding, i could see where it was rubbing the paint off the flange on the bell house. but this is a different. the exhaust on the bell housing was a real "tinny" sound and i could tell it was at or near the trans.

this is much louder. i understand what your saying about the rotation and torque of the motor but i have a good half inch or more of clearance between the bell housing and header. also it does it even if im just barely on the gas, i know the motor cant be torquing that much when im just giving it 1/8th throttle.

could it be a bushing in the rear? im leaning more and more towards something in the suspension because it will do it over speed bumps and rough roads even when im off the gas

2003 Mach 1 Oxford white 5spd, FR500 cams, C&L ram air with 85mm maf, N2mb WOT box, bassani headers, O/R X with Borla stingers, Hurst shifter, built rear, 4.10 gears, Moser 31 spline axles, Koni yellows, MM subframes/LCA/CC plates and coil overs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old June 10th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

well you know what you gotta do at this point. put her on blocks and put her in gear and start hitting stuff ( suspintion wise lol.) see what happens. unless you have a 4 point car lift. that would be nice in my case.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

but it is a grinding though right? like gear grinding or rock grinding or what ?

96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #5 of 18 Old June 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
well you know what you gotta do at this point. put her on blocks and put her in gear and start hitting stuff ( suspintion wise lol.) see what happens. unless you have a 4 point car lift. that would be nice in my case.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

but it is a grinding though right? like gear grinding or rock grinding or what ?
i dont think its something in the trans. its not hard to shift or anything like that. when i had the problem with the exhaust rubbing the bellhousing i could feel it in the trans/shifter. the unknown grinding i cant feel in the shifter which is what makes me think its something in the rear. i think the sound is coming from the rear, my dad says it sounds like its in the dash, my woman says it sounds like its under the center console. lol

OHHHH AND GUESS WHAT IT DOES WHEN I TAKE IT TO THE SHOP!??!

absolutly nothing....

post #6 of 18 Old June 11th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Resident Headbanger

Could it be the e-brake cable bracket rubbing on the driveshaft?

2006 GT Deluxe - 5MT - 12.52 @ 109.33
311rwhp 328rwtq with stage 1 bolt-ons
post #7 of 18 Old June 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
Could it be the e-brake cable bracket rubbing on the driveshaft?
Is that bracket right under the center console? I'll have to check and see. At this point I'm willing to check anything lol

post #8 of 18 Old June 11th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

yes the ebrake cable does run on the very top of the drive shaft housing . that figured man. evey time I go look at one of my friends cars they do the same thing.lol if its something in the rear end you might be able to feel it in the bottom of your seat. check your pinion lately ? if you have a stock shaft you might want to check the balancer on it to see if its loose.

96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #9 of 18 Old June 12th, 2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I'll be under the rear tonight since I need to get it inspected tomorrow and straight pipes don't fly to good up in pa haha so I'll check the e brake bracket tonight and the cable. Can I check the pinion by just looking under it or do I need to open up the rear?

post #10 of 18 Old June 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

just get a good grip on the drive shaft and see if it has any play as far as front to rear and up and down. if it wiggles your bearing is probably shot, but that would make it roar though, but its a good thing to check since your crawling under there anyway.

96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #11 of 18 Old June 12th, 2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

i think i found my problem...

notice the shield on the ebrake cable completely worn thru

post #12 of 18 Old June 13th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Resident Headbanger

Eleven out of ten for me.
post #13 of 18 Old June 13th, 2013, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thank you sir! That would have bugged the hell out of me and I never would have seen in where it was at

post #14 of 18 Old June 13th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast

hollow, is your car lowered? cuz mine did that same thing when it was lowered.

96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #15 of 18 Old June 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
hollow, is your car lowered? cuz mine did that same thing when it was lowered.
not yet i want to but im not sure what spings to go with, the 18s give me more ground clearance than my old 17s, its gonna be hard finding something that gives me a good stance without being slammed

post #16 of 18 Old June 14th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

I got the bbks that came off mine. but I think they are 2 1/2 lowered.

96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
post #17 of 18 Old June 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Yea that's a little much especially for the crappy roads in pa. I was looking at the H&R race springs

post #18 of 18 Old June 15th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

I hear good things about the h&rs. but if this is your daily driver I wouldn't do race springs. id try to get a spring rate made more for crappy PA streets lol.

96 Mustang Cobra-T-45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page